It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Momix in London 2006
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:49 am 

Quote:
Lunar Sea, Peacock Theatre, London
by ZOE ANDERSON for the Independent
published: November 13, 2006

Illusionist theatre can become twee. Lunar Sea slides that way - the scene with the baby moon spider, the awful pun in the title. And Pendleton can be hypnotised by his patterns, making too many variations on the same theme. But other scenes have a dreamy sense of surprise, with bodies drifting against gravity.
more...

Quote:
Momix
by SANJOY ROY for the Guardian
published: November 15, 2006

In Lunar Sea, the choreographer, Moses Pendleton, pushes the physical magic further than ever through a single technical device: UV light on black-and-white costumes, which makes the black all but disappear.
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:06 am 

Does anyone have any more comments?

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:49 am 

Darn it bb - I was looking forward to this, but had a bad cold and then the one evening I could do there wasn't a show. Now I'm out of the country. Did you see it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:45 am 

I just saw Lunar Sea a couple of weeks ago here in Santa Barbara. It's very clever, witty choreography, though parts of it do tend to get repetitious after a while. They use black light and full-body suits cut half in black and white in many of the pieces to make the most improbable-looking images like people flying across the stage, or multi-limbed creatures. I like how the choreography surprises the audience by making shapes or configurations you didn't expect. My favorite piece of the night was the umbrella dance where 5 or 6 girls with large umbrellas draped with cloths looked like jellyfish coming out, and then we somehow end up with dresses at the end.

--Andre

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:22 am 

Yes, I went to see it last Wednesday. It was really good.

I like that Momix do really good contemporary dance and physical theatre that it is also very apprachable by audiences not composed of hard core dance geeks (as most people in this forum!).

The placing on Sadlers Well's calendar was spot on, just before the more "pop" shows of the Holiday season.

I could not find any video clip from this show on the web. There is some stuff from old shows on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=momix

and here:

http://www.sadlerswells.com/peacock/200 ... wmlg#video

http://www.sadlerswells.com/peacock/200 ... qtlg#video

-bb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:15 am 

bb wrote:

Quote:
I like that Momix do really good contemporary dance and physical theatre that it is also very apprachable by audiences not composed of hard core dance geeks (as most people in this forum!).

You hit the nail on the head, bb - Momix play an important role in introducing new audiences to modern/contemporary dance and that was certainly the case for me, many moons ago.

Quote:
"...not composed of hard core dance geeks (as most people in this forum!)."

In my case at least - guilty as charged.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:18 am 

A few thoughts from PATRICIA SWEENEY (Stuart's Mum):

Beforehand, I was intrigued by a couple of quotes from the programme:

“Magical, charmingly psychedelic journey into the imagination.” Newsday

“A joyous, fantastic, magical muti-media creation. Eye-popping and mind-boggling.” NY Times

One thing is for sure - I've never seen anything like “Lunar”. It was really weird: large moving backdrops, with the performers half in white and half in black, moving pictures, flowers opening and closing, suns and moons floating around. In the second half patterns were the main attraction with moving columns and other objects. In one section, a large spider eats two smaller ones.

The strange dancing was accompanied by very loud and harsh music. I remember a scene where the dancers were like birds flapping their wings.

At the curtain call the dancers came on dressed to the minimum and you could see the powerful musculature that made all the wierd happenings possible.

I'm very glad i went – it was marvellous to see what can be accomplished. Although I won't forget it, I can't say i enjoyed this as much as the previous Momix shows i have seen.

The Peacock was about ¾ full for this matinee, including a lot of children.

Profile E-mail