public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ellis Wood
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2001 11:09 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Making a Dance Career With One Eye on a Gender Gap<P>APOLLINAIRE SCHERR, NY Times<P>WHEN I feel scared that my voice is not meant to be heard, it doesn't come out so smoothly," said the choreographer Ellis Wood, 36, on a bright October day in an empty cafe in Little Italy. "But I have an intense need to speak."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/04/arts/dance/04SCHE.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ellis Wood
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 10:35 am 

I hope to get into the city and see Ellis at the Duke this week. I last saw her in "From the Horse's Mouth", at the Kaye in May.<P>I suspect that Ms. Scherr's article is accurate relative to gender gaps and the anquish female dancers live and feel. However it takes a few years before the young dancers realize it themselves. Let us all work to change things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2001 11:19 am 

Wroginski, I am eager to read your impressions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 10:17 pm 

Jennifer Dunning reports in the NY Times:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ms. Wood's ambitious new "Funktionslust Slut," a dance for five women set to propulsively atmospheric music by Daniel Bernard Roumain, was inspired by the inequities faced today by female choreographers and performers in modern dance and ballet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/13/arts/dance/13WOOD.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 1:31 pm 

I'm working on my impressions as I believe the entire evening deserves a longer commentary than provided by Ms. Dunning. I wonder if the Voice will have a review....?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:13 am 

Jack Anderson writes in the NY Times:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The TriBeCa Performing Arts Center at Borough of Manhattan Community College has the admirable policy of inviting composers, directors, writers and dance troupes to be artists in residence for a year. During that time, they receive rehearsal space, a stipend, administrative support and opportunities to present public programs.<P>Two of this year's resident dance companies, the Stanley Love Performance Group and Ellis Wood/Wood Dance, appeared at the center last Saturday night. Each offered a long, sprawling work lasting almost an hour. And both pieces desperately needed trimming.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/23/arts/dance/23LOVE.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Click for More</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:04 pm 

Quote:
A Feminist Encounter With the Gray-Flanneled of Wall Street
by JOHN ROCKWELL for the New York Times

The idea is to posit Woman as the free, soaring spirit against the dull conformity of men in their “gray-flanneled armor.” Never mind that the audience on the opposite sidewalk seemed to consist mostly of dance fans and puzzled tourists, and that most of the gray-suited crowd had their coats off and walked right on by.

published: August 23, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:56 am 

Quote:
Elemental Women
Bringing the timeless up to date
by DEBORAH JOWITT for the Village Voice
published: November 28, 2006

This controlled volatility informs her engrossing Hurricane Flora: Inferno. Two of its four sections, "Air" and "Earth," were premiered at Dance Theater Workshop in 2004. Now she's added "Fire" and "Water." The five women who perform it (Loren Davidson, Amy Knauff, Cynthia Koppe, Candice Schnurr, and Kristine Willis) offer no simple visualizations of the four elements.
more...

Profile E-mail