public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 92nd Street Y -- My Sister Was A Refugee And Other Tales
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 8:48 pm 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Media Contacts: Melissa Connerton, 212/<BR>415-5435<BR>Tickets and Information:<BR>mconnerton@92ndsty.org<BR>Sun.-Thurs.: 212/996-1100<BR>Alix Friedman, 212/ 415-5453<BR>Fri. - Sat.: 212/415-5553<BR>afriedman@92ndsty.org<P><BR>"...brims with literate, colorful dance achievement...Not to be missed." <BR>Jennifer Dunning, The New York Times<P><BR>"...succinct, stylish, darkly funny...beautifully composed..." <BR> Deborah Jowitt, The Village Voice<P>Sixth Annual<BR>92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Project at Playhouse 91<BR>presents <BR>Keely Garfield's Sinister Slapstick<BR>In the World Premiere of<BR>My Sister Was A Refugee And Other Tales From The Homefront<P><BR>Thursday, March 16 and Saturday, March 18 at 8:00 p.m.<BR>Sunday, March 19 at 5:00 p.m.<P><BR>Tickets: $15<P><BR>Thursday, March 16 at 8:00 p.m., the sixth annual 92nd Street Y Harkness<BR>Dance Project at Playhouse 91 presents a world premiere by Keely Garfield's<BR>Sinister Slapstick, My Sister Was A Refugee And Other Tales From The<BR>Homefront. Completing a darkly funny trilogy on family ties, My Sister Was<BR>A Refugee follows the acclaimed My Father Was A Spanish Captain (1996) and<BR>My Mother Was A Four-Alarm Fire (1998). In this evening of all new works,<BR>Garfield continues her autobiographically-inspired exploration of the<BR>intricate and idiosyncratic nature of intimacy, using the dark, ironic wit<BR>that has become her trademark to convey difficult emotions. <P><BR>In My Father Was A Spanish Captain, two women plunged into deep emotions to<BR>recover their father as Sinatra crooned. In My Mother Was A Four-Alarm<BR>Fire, a female duet bravely confronted an imaginary mother. This time, Ms.<BR>Garfield invites audiences to meet her sister. <BR>(MORE)2<P>My Sister Was A Refugee draws on Garfield's bittersweet memories of<BR>childhood battles and a competitive yet symbiotic sibling relationship. As<BR>the drama unfolds, the two performers interact like opposing soldiers,<BR>assaulting one another with clashing arms until a reluctant truce is<BR>negotiated. Garfield's use of satirical movement to express traumatic<BR>memories results in a sinister, engaging portrayal of the division between<BR>yet affection of sisters.<P><BR>Garfield's explorations of intimate relationships go beyond family to<BR>include friends and lovers. The Felliniesque, erotically-charged Rub Me The<BR>Wrong Way suggests the effort necessary to initiate and maintain these<BR>complex relationships. The dance presents a quartet caught in a cycle of<BR>escalating movements that are simultaneously hostile and endearing.<BR>Connections are made, sustained for a few moments, and lost again in a<BR>playful, carnival fashion. Past Caring etches a portrait of obstinately<BR>close relationships between two couples whose familiarity often prevents a<BR>true union. The evening features original live music by Bob Montalto and<BR>Philip Johnston, the 1999 Bessie Award-winner and Garfield's frequent<BR>musical collaborator.<P><BR>Originally from London, Keely Garfield has been choreographing and<BR>performing since 1982. Since founding Keely Garfield's Sinister Slapstick<BR>in 1988, she has presented her work around the world at venues and festivals<BR>including Dance Theater Workshop, P.S. 122, Dance Vernissage Montreal and<BR>the Spring Loaded Festival in London. In addition to creating work for her<BR>own company, Garfield has created dances for children, puppets, cabaret,<BR>ballet dancers, musical theater and television. She is a recipient of a<BR>1999 grant from the New York Foundation for the Arts BUILD program and a<BR>2000 participant in Pentacle's Help Desk Project. Garfield is currently a<BR>curator of Dance Theater Workshop's Family Matters series. <P><BR>My Sister Was A Refugee And Other Tales From the Homefront has been<BR>supported by a commission from the 92nd Street Y New Works in Dance fund,<BR>the Jerome Foundation, the Harkness Foundation for Dance, a space grant from<BR>the 92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Center and a commission from Dance Theater<BR>Workshop's Bessie Schönberg/ First Light Program. <P>*<P><BR>Keely Garfield's Sinister Slapstick is one of five companies performing in<BR>the sixth annual 92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Project at Playhouse 91, which<BR>runs from March 16 to April 16, 2000. The dance festival also presents the<BR>work of Koosil-ja Hwang/ DANCE KUMIKOKIMOTO, Janis Brenner & Dancers, Maia<BR>Clare Garrison/ M'Zawa Danz, and The Erick Hawkins Dance Company. <P><BR>(MORE)<BR>3<P>Since 1935, the 92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Center has celebrated dance,<BR>nurturing the talents of dance greats like Martha Graham, Anna Sokolow,<BR>Alvin Ailey, Merce Cunningham, Robert Joffrey, and Lester Horton. These<BR>artists and many others created, performed and taught at the Y, building the<BR>foundation for contemporary dance as we know it. With the generous support<BR>of the Harkness Foundation for Dance, the 92nd Street Y Harkness Dance<BR>Center continues to nurture the teaching, creation and performance of modern<BR>dance, serving adults, children, dance professionals and the community at<BR>large.<P>92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Project<P><BR>Keely Garfield's Sinister Slapstick: 3/16 & 3/18 at 8pm ¦ 3/19 at 5pm<P><BR>Koosil-ja Hwang/Dance KUMIKOKIMOTO: 3/31-3/23 & 3/25 at 8pm ¦ 3/26 at 5pm<P><BR>Janis Brenner & Dancers: 3/28-3/30 & 4/1 at 8pm ¦ 4/2 at 5pm<P><BR>Maia Clare Garrison/M'Zawa Danz: 4/4-4/6 & 4/8 at 8pm ¦ 4/9 at 5pm<P><BR>The Erick Hawkins Dance Company: 4/11-4/13 & 4/15 at 8pm ¦ 4/16 at 5pm<P>TICKETS AND INFORMATION<BR>Sunday - Thursday: 212/996-1100<BR>Friday- Saturday: 212/415-5553<BR>(Box office located at the 92nd Street Y, Lexington Avenue at 92nd Street)<P><BR>PERFORMANCE LOCATION<BR>All 92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Project performances take place at <BR>Playhouse 91, 316 East 91st Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues.<P><BR>TRANSPORTATION<BR>92nd Street Y Dance Project performances at Playhouse 91 are easily reached<BR>by the <BR>#4,#5, or #6 subways to 86th Street or the #6 subway to 96th Street. <BR>Playhouse 91 is located at 316 East 91st Street, between 1st and 2nd<BR>Avenues.<P><BR>###

Profile E-mail