public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Martha Graham Photo Exhibition
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 6:03 pm 

While in NYC, I caught a wonderful exhibition of previously unseen photos of a young Martha Graham taken by Imogen Cunningham. It is being held at the John Stevenson Gallery at 338 W 23rd, Manhattan (between 8th and 9th Avenues). You can call them at 212-352-0070 for hours and duration.<BR> <BR>I highly recommend this exhibition to all serious dance fans, for in my opinion the photos capture the youthful determination and resolve of one of the world's icons of dance. It is amazing that even at that young an age, Graham appeared to project an image of no-nonsense confidence.<P>Also, a bit of warning for those faint of heart: some of the photos show more than Martha's cleavage.<P>...Azlan<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 31, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Martha Graham Photo Exhibition
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 1999 8:40 am 

This exhibition is available on the gallery website for all those who can not get to NYC. <A HREF="http://www.johnstevenson-gallery.com/" TARGET=_blank>www.johnstevenson-gallery.com</A><P><BR>[Edited by Azlan to fix the URL]<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 31, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 1999 6:28 pm 

This is a direct link to the online exhibition: <A HREF="http://www.johnstevenson-gallery.com/Cunningham_tn.html" TARGET=_blank>www.johnstevenson-gallery.com/Cunningham_tn.html</A> <P>Keep in mind though that this site only shows a partial selection.<P>Also, prints are available for sale at $1,400 for 3"x4" and $2,000 for 5"x7" and 8"x10" through the gallery.<P>...Azlan<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 31, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 10:48 am 

YEP!<BR>This one works. Great photos of a great artist. Pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 1999 6:09 am 

Well worth the wait. Very interesting to see Graham at a relatively early stage in her career. Given the camera technology of the time, I would guess that the photos are posed rather than part of a dance sequence, which is what we are used to today and which gives an added dynamism.<P>Oh stop whinging, Sweeney, and just enjoy the fab images.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 4:04 pm 

I truly enjoyed the photos. She has a beautiful body. Image

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2000 10:43 pm 

I thought it would be nice to remind everyone of what Martha Graham looked like in her younger days.<P>There are also photos of a few "young" dancers, like Merce Cunningham, Hanya Holm, Jose Limon and Marian Van Tuyl.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 31, 2000).]

Profile E-mail