public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CJ8 - Japanese & Canadian dancers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 5:07 pm 

from ottawa citizen:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.ottawacitizen.com:80/entertainment/001106/4817610.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ottawacitizen.com:80/entertainment/001106/4817610.html</A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: CJ8 - Japanese & Canadian dancers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 9:20 pm 

this is just one of the reasons why i <I>love</I> this board, the posted links save me hours of surfing time! btw, this show is coming to vancouver, canada, nov. 22-24...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 10:06 pm 

Thanks Marie. It's a lot of work every day, but comments like yours make us think that it's worthwhile.<P>When people ask us what the site is, we tend to say that it's a daily international interactive dance newspaper.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:28 am 

oh thanks marie - i spent 4 & a half hours on pasting up links this am, so i really appreciate that comment. thank you. (p.s. we could use some help! wanna volunteer?) Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2000 2:06 pm 

From a Harbourfront Centre Newsletter:<P>CJ8 begins its cross-Canada tour with performances in Ottawa at the National Arts Centre on November 7 and in Montreal's Place des Arts on November 10 & 11,arriving for a Toronto run starting November 14.<P>The programme consists of these new works:<P>FEATHER<BR>Choreography by Toru Shimazaki, with music by<BR>Arvo Part and dancers Graham Mckelvie, James Robertson<P>SORA NO SAKANA / FISH FLOATING NIGHT SKY<BR>Choreography by Kota Yamazaki, with music by Nobuyasu Sakonda and dancer Robin Calvert<P>MOI QUI TREMBLAIS<BR>Choreography by Serge Bennathan, with music by Linda C Smith and dancers Yukari Nonaka, Miki Sato and Motoko Ikeda<P>VIA<BR>Choreography by Noam Gagnon and Dana Gingras,<BR>with music by Pan Sonic and dancers Masako Sugimoto and Michihiko Kamakura<P>GREY SUIT BUT BLACK DRESS<BR>Choreography by Tedd Robinson, with music by<BR>Gustav Mahler and dancers Mako Kawano and Mitsutake Kasai<P>ME AND I<BR>Choreography by Kim Itoh, with music by Sofia Gubaidulina and dancer Dominique Porte<P>TANKA<BR>Choreography by Louise Bedard, with music by Maxine Rioux and dancers Yoshihiro Fujita, Keiichi Outsuka and Masaharu Imazu<P>SHE WHO DEVOURS THE MOON<BR>Choreography by Setsuko Yamada, with music by<BR>Hiromichi Sakamoto and dancer Susan Elliott<P>---------<P>Well this will be an interesing programme, I suspect one that will either fly or flop--you never know when you put people together who have not previously worked with one another, do you? Image<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:27 pm 

thanks marie - sounds interesting! maybe YOU can tell us if it 'flies'?! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 11:36 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Review: Cultural exchange delights audience<BR>Jenny Jackson <BR>The Ottawa Citizen <BR>Thu Nov 9 <P>Much was gained and little lost in translation Tuesday as four Canadian choreographers and four Japanese choreographers premiered their work in the theatre of the National Arts Centre.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>------------> <A HREF="http://www.ottawa.com/listings.mpl?evt=GetArticleDetails&id=5774&wsa=9" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ottawa.com/listings.mpl?evt=GetArticleDetails&id=5774&wsa=9</A><P><BR>[Edited by Azlan to put the excerpt in quotes]<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited November 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:08 pm 

In today's National Post, Michael Crabb reports that CJ8 is <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>. . .of a very high standard and the solos, duets and trios on the program all have something to offer choreographically. It is also apparent that the creators, though living cultures apart, inhabit a world of dance in which international touring and ready access to film and video have created a large pool of shared movement ideas from which all may drink according to preference.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href="http://www.nationalpost.com/artslife/arts/story.html?f=/stories/20001116/372325.html" target="blank">more...</a><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited November 16, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:31 am 

From the Nov.16/2000 Globe and Mail:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The result is a wildly eclectic evening, so much so that, to read the press clippings from Ottawa and Montreal (where CJ8 has already been performed) is to be convinced that the reviewers saw different shows. Admittedly, some pieces are more successful than others, but I found them all interesting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><a href="http://archives.theglobeandmail.com/s97is.vts?action=View&VdkVgwKey=%2Fhome6%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fgam%2Fsearch%2Fhtml%2F20001116%2FRVCITR%2Ehtml&DocOffset=8&DocsFound=82&QueryZip= dance&Collection=TGAM&SortField=sortdate&ViewTemplate=GAMDocView%2Ehts&SearchUrl=http%3A%2F%2Farchives%2Etheglobeandmail%2Ecom%2Fs97is%2Evts%3FQueryZip%3Ddance%26ResultTemplate%3DG AMResults%252Ehts%26QueryText%3Ddance%26Collection%3DTGAM%26SortField%3Dsortdate%26ViewTemplate%3DGAMDocView%252Ehts%26ResultStart%3D1%26ResultCount%3D10&" target="blank">more...</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 12:57 pm 

I finally got to see CJ8 last night. "a bold experiment" says the front of the program. "A bland experiment" would have better described it. <P>There was nothing new or exciting in this show. Everything was safe and predictable, there were no risks taken. Perhaps it was the lack of time that the choreographers had to work on their respective pieces (about 10 days). The dancers were all basically competent, the choreography as well. <P>The idea that a cross-cultural exchange is going to make for exciting work is obviously a mistaken one. Maybe it's exciting for the dancers and choreographers who get a travel allowance to each other's countries, like school children on an exchange; but for the audience it was just the same old, same old. <P>I guess I was hoping to be tweaked and piqued instead of seeing the Canadian choreographers (whose work I am familiar with) remount a lot of the same phrases they have used before. If you had never seen their work previously you may have come away impressed. I was bored.<P>The Japanese choreographers had been promised as leading their field in their respective country. I didn't find their work to be at all provocative. <P>The show couldn't have been more than an a hour and a half long, all of the works were relatively short. I left the theatre feeling thankful for that.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited November 25, 2000).]

Profile E-mail