public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Pina Bausch?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 7:13 pm 

trina, I'm glad you found this board!! You have an amazing wealth of knowledge about dance.<P>Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of Bausch's works. Do you know if any of them are on videotape? I can't imagine her performances having the same effect on tape but it will have to do for some of us.<P>...Azlan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 1999 10:37 am 

HI!<BR>It took me a while to get into this web site today. My computer must be really slow.<BR>Anyway--Stuart, I stand corrected. I could have sworn there was one of her works which was almost 4 hrs, though ...oh well. Azlan, I have a copy of "Rite of Spring" back home (I'm not there now). I've had it for several years but can't remember where I got it--you may want to contact Princeton Publishers (NJ) because they are the primary distributor of dance books and videos in this country. I think that it is made by KULTUR, a european company which produces dance videos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 1999 12:18 pm 

Thanks, trina. I will check out the video sources.<P>And, yes, I noticed a degradation in speed as well. I think it has something to do with our host ISP. We called them and everything seems to be okay now.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited 11-04-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 9:48 pm 

Daedalus, while in Germany, look up Pina Bausch paraphenalia, like books and videos. Let us know how we here in the US can purchase them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 1999 8:00 am 

Here is the URL for a site devoted to the period when Bausch was working with the University of Texas. It includes discussion on the works 'Nelken and 'Nur Du'.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.utexas.edu/cofa/theatre/pina/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.utexas.edu/cofa/theatre/pina/index.htm</A> <P>Dance Nut and Daedalus - as far as I know videos of Bausch are not available and can only be seen by specail arrangement at Wuppertal and perhaps the Tanzarchiv in Cologne. Bausch guards her work assiduously. The films that I saw in London had to be hastily sent back to Germany. <P>In general I found that there were very few dance or ballet videos available in Germany and one that I bought of a Kirov production of 'The Lady with the Little Dog' had very poor picture quality.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2000 10:02 am 

I saw Pina Bausch in the eighties in Montreal. I must say it was the most inspiring and emotionally therapeutic experiences of my life. I don't know of any other choreographer that can bring out in their dancers and audience the kind of raw energy that PB can. I have also seen performances by Methilde Grossman and "Maria Callas" by -- Hoffmann. They used to dance with PB themselves and their work is in the 'tanztheater' style. Memorable experiences but not at the same level as Bausch. <BR>In the 80's I couldn't find very much written about her. I found a book in Montreal, in French, "Pina Bausch Histoires de theatre danse". My french isn't all that great but I bought it anyway and read it with the help of my dictionary.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2000 11:59 am 

The best book about Pina Bausch that I've found is called "Pina Bausch and the Wuppertal Dance Theater" by Norbert Servos. It is by a European publisher,and is very expensive and difficult to find, at least in the US. However, it is very good and has many photos.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 7:29 am 

Thanks for the information about the Servos book. I had heard of it a while back but have never actually seen the book. Although I doubt very much I'll be able to find it, I will try and hunt it down.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 3:16 pm 

Georgie, please please share the source with us if you ever hunt that book down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2000 3:58 am 

there is a new pina bausch thread at:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000228.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000228.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2