public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pina Bausch?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 1999 9:50 pm 
Surely, someone must have something to say about Pina Bausch's performance of Nelken at Zellerbach. I myself can't -- I was selected by the stunning blonde dancer whom everyone wanted and I was distracted for the rest of the performance. I hardly took any notes. Perhaps someone more impartial should say something. Genevieve? Are you lurking out there?<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited 11-06-1999).]

Post subject: Re: Pina Bausch?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 5:56 am 
Can't help with Nelken, but here are 3 reviews that I did for ballet.co a while back. Bausch is clearly a key figure in dance theatre. However, I must say that I do prefer her early work. The simple film of Cafe Muller is one of the most remarkable performances I have ever seen. An added bonus being the dancing of Ms Bausch herself.<p>http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_99/mar99/ss_rev_bausch_0299.htm<p>http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_99/mar99/ss_rev_bausch2_0299.htm<p>http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_99/mar99/ss_rev_bausch_0199.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 9:11 pm 
Sorry about the inability to click on the links. This will be corrected when we upgrade to the commercial version which, as I've mentioned elsewhere, may happen sooner that I thought.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 9:25 am 
I haven't seen that much Modern Dance, but Nelken was truely amazing. That was the first time I had ever seen Pina Bausch's dancers. The performance was like the images you see in a dream state, where the logic is subconscious. It is deeply moving, but difficult to write about because it doesn't operate on the rational level. I'd love to hear what other people thought.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 12:53 pm 
Welcome, Daedalus! I know exactly what you mean. The images were familiar ones but in unfamiliar context. For example, the scolding of a child, except the child is a grown man. Or, the fascist passport check, but the passport is for hopping like a rabbit. Surreal, to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 10:55 am 

Stuart, I looked up your reviews - thanks for including the links. I was very interested in Pina Bausch and company after seeing Nelken. Several of your phrases seemed to sum things up, "great choreographic invention combined with emotional intensity" and "great precision and intensity". With emphasis on the intensity. You did a good job of describing something which is almost indescribable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 11:19 am 

I saw Nelken (Carnations) at BAM in the late 80's. Stunning. I also wrote a paper on her in grad school. Her development of "tanztheater" in Germany is very intersting-she has been emulated, but no one seems to have her rich background(classical ballet and modern dance), intensity, intelligence and imagination. Another thing which struck met at the time was the budget she must have---constant costume changes, expensive and seemingly unlimited use of massice sets; I can't think of any american company which could afford this kind of production. Except someone in Las Vegas, and then of course..what group would that be?...maybe Cirque de Soleil..but they're canadian anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 2:24 pm 

trina, have you also seen Sasha Waltz? They are also a "tanztheater." Is this a genre unique to Germany?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 10:10 pm 

Trina,<P>In the Movement Never Lies thread, you will find a reference to a recent NY Times feature on Pina Bausch.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited 11-02-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 1:31 am 

Cronos, dance theatre certainly has a strong history in Germany from the early decades of this century. Kurt Jooss Ballet created work in this field, especially 'The Green Table', from the early 30's. Anyone who has not seen this work should try to do so, as no allowances for its age will be necessary. I think Grand Ballet Canadien may do it and Joffrey and Birmingham RB have it in their rep.<P>Bausch danced in 'The Green Table' under Kurt Jooss and I am fortunate enough to have seen a rarely shown BBC filmed performance, including Bausch in the cast. She was superb and it is clear that this was a strong formative experience for her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 8:07 am 

Trina, it's interesting you should mention Bausch's budget because I was wondering how much cost and effort it takes to have all those carnations -- albeit fake -- propped up the full width and depth of the stage for every performance. It must cost bundles. Interestingly as well, ushers were posted at the edge of the stage after the performance I saw to prevent audience members from absconding with any of the carnations.<P>As for a comparison to other dance theaters -- help me out here Stuart -- I think Bausch is further out there than the others in that she plays with our minds in what we have to expect from dance. She puts familiar things in absurd situations, making us question our own "default" familiarity with common situations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 9:09 am 

I got a copy of the Times article from this past weekend. I just skimmed it-haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet. I was intrigued that ann daly called Pina a "romantic"- I think of her really as an "anti-romantic" or "expressionist"--in the lineage of Mary wigman/kurt jooos (anyone seen "big city" by Jooos-Joffrey did it several years ago)/harold kreutzberg/etc. Well , i guess i'll have to read the article. <BR>Anyway--apparently, Pina asks her dancers to keep journals and they also do extensive "group therapy" type sharing, remembering of their childhoods and improving in reheasal,on all of the above. Assumedly, to come up with the choreographic material. I've read about this in Dance Magazine..also there's a book published in Germany which is not readily available in the USA- i think it's called "Pina Bausch/Wuppperal Dance Theater."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 10:35 am 

trina, I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but what is "tanztheater"? I thought Pina Bausch's Nelken was marvellous, and hope to have a chance to see another Bausch performance when I am in Germany next month. Do you know anything about where she performs in Germany?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 3:34 pm 

Daedalus, -Tanztheater is a relatively new form of modern dance which arose in Germany. It combines elements of dance, theater, music hall/cabaret elements. It takes German expressionist dance (Laban, Mary Wigman, Kurt Jooos) one step further, dealing with such issues as the often violent/destructive male/female relationships, postwar German identity and social issues, and primal/visceral psychological urges. Pina BAusch has explored these themes (she's pretty much considered the founder of this movement)in such works as "Rite of Spring", "Cafe Muller", "Nelken" (Carnations), "Kontakthof" and others. Many of her older works are more intense and violent than her newer more "mellow" works and her older works tend to be longer (I believe it was Cafe Muller that was 4 hrs. long). Her company is based in Wuppertal, Germany. She was trained classically in Germany and in New York at the Juilliard School Dance Dept.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 1999 3:58 pm 

Trina, many thanks for your fascinating contributions to this thread. One small point, 'Cafe Muller' has one of the tightest structures of all her works in my view and is only about 45 minutes long. However, it was part of a triple bill where Bausch was one of three choreographers asked to prepare a piece on the same theme.<P>The mid 80s 'Victor' which we saw in London this year was about 3 hours, from memory. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 11-03-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next