public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meryl Tankard's "Bolero"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 1:38 pm 

Dear Grace,<BR>As requested; I'll just jot down a few words to give you an idea.<P>Meryl Tankard used one of the oldest tricks in showbusiness - shadow play; to great effect. Which after the amount of video technology I've witnessed lately, was incredibly refreshing.<BR>Since caveman (and woman) first used their fires and hands to project images, this has been a universal entertainment; fortunately developed to an art form here. At no time did you see a dancers body in 3 dimensions, the entire work occured behind a painted scrim covering the front of the stage.<BR>Tankard throughout the duration of Ravel's stirring music conjured some powerful, clever, beautiful and original imagery. Her use of the dimensions of the concealed stage being especially notable.<BR>There was only one jarring note for me - her choice of vocabulary at times, for example - the piece climaxed with a double tour en l'air, into a sideways slide on the floor (performed by one dancer)???<BR>But an excellent work which shone in comparison with the rest of the programme presented by Le Ballet de l'Opéra de Lyon, at Théâtre Chatelet, Paris.<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited June 01, 2000).]

Profile E-mail