public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bang Group (David Parker)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:23 am 

A preview of David Parker's the Bang Group in Concord, Mass.:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Choreographer Parker goes Dutch in Concord</B><P>Theodore Bale, Boston Herald<P>Kathryn Tufano will dance on Bubble Wrap and Jeffrey Kazin will stroll around in pointe shoes. These are but two of the ingenious dances that will be featured when David Parker's daring three-member company the Bang Group, now in its second residency at Summer Stages Dance in Concord, performs Thursday. Parker even intends to show a work-in-progress for which the Dutch fashion designers Melanie Rozema and Jeroen Teunissen have created head-to-toe Velcro suits for the dancers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/danc07132001.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bang Group (David Parker)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 9:50 am 

Hmm... a bang-up review for a bang-up job...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Parker does Bang-up job with humor</B><P>Vicki Sanders, Boston Herald<P>Syncopated rhythm-making gets entwined with ballet, stirred into tap, wound around modern and ends up twisted into the wickedly funny choreography of David Parker and the Bang Group. What this man does with bubble wrap and toe shoes, you'd never imagine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/park07212001.htm" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 11:29 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Unbuttoned Id<BR>Bang On<P>Elizabeth Zimmer, Village Voice<P>David Parker choreographs for the Bang Group, a trio of dancers who can act but have the wisdom to keep their mouths shut—unless, of course, they need to sing in Italian.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0151/zimmer.php target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 1:40 am 

<B>Parker's Pointe Counterpoint</B> <BR>By Lisa Traiger for The Washington Post<P><BR>David Parker takes his fun quite seriously. At the riotous Thursday performance of his aptly named, frequently percussive trio the Bang Group, at the Clarice Smith Center's Dance Theater, a lot more was going on than just cutting up, which choreographer Parker and his two sidekicks, Kathryn Trufano and Jeffrey Kazin, do admirably well.<P>Among the visual gags that work wonders on a willing audience are the anomalous sight of men in pink satin toeshoes and boxer shorts; a revival of the for-good-reason long-lost (and nearly forgotten) vaudeville form of toe tap; and an abundance of droopy arabesques and tangled arms and legs fashioned into awkwardly elegant partnering configurations. <P><A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19009-2002Feb15.html" TARGET=_blank><B>click for more</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:19 am 

Theodore Bale in the Boston Herald:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Formed in 1995 and based in New York, The Bang Group still spends most of its time performing in Europe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www2.bostonherald.com/entertainment/arts_culture/danc07262002.htm target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:23 am 

In the Boston Phoenix, Marcia Siegel reviews the Bang Group's recent performance in Concord:

Quote:
Whizbang pranks
David Parker & Bang conclude Concord Academy’s ‘Summer Stages’

....Based in New York, the Bang Group is the brainchild of David Parker, but the choreography is collaborative, at least in the moment of performance. Most of the work presented Thursday depended on the inspired mismatching of two or more bodies. Timing seemed to be crucial, and so was the running dialogue of divergent desires. You can rehearse that only so far. In performance, spontaneity and reflex come to the surface.
More...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:51 pm 

I did the Summer Stages Dance intensive in Concord and I was in David Parker's rep piece. The man is a genius. Utterly hilarious. The piece was a strange hybrid of Stomp, the Nutcracker, and the Hustle. Good times.

And their company performance was pretty cool as well. It's nice to see people intelligently using humor. It wasn't just humor for the sake of a few laughs. It was integrated into larger pieces exploring interpersonal relationships and such. *thumbs up*

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:05 pm 

The performance sounds great Sister Janet, thanks for sharing!! I agree with what you said about the use of intelligent humor. And I think now, more than ever, we need to use humor to break on through....its definitely needed. I (and others too, I'm sure) would love to hear more about the rep you learned and your experience with Parker.

In addition, feel free to post your overall impressions of the summer program here in our thread about summer dancing 2003 here It sounds like you attended a really great program, I'd love to know more about it!

<small>[ 08 September 2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Misa_danseuse ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:00 pm 

Well, it wasn't a repertory piece in the traditional sense. Parker was actually trying out new ideas for a piece he'll be premiering in Europe this fall. He was asked to do a sorta disco Nutcracker (which I find odd since the revamped modern Nutcracker thing has been done by Mark Morris and Maurice Bejart and others I'm sure). But anyway, he started to mix the two and he's always used sound and rhythm...so, much of the piece consisted of these intricate rhythm phrases with the sounds of our bare feet hitting the floor and clapping etc. Both disco and Nutcracker music was used. One of the sections I was in was actually a variation of the Hustle done to Trepak--I've never moved so fast in my life. I think the overall effect was pretty humorous.
Watching him work was pretty interesting as well. He just sat back and allowed his company members to run the rehearsals and every once in a while he'd make a comment or jump up when he had an idea. It was like you could see the wheels turning.
During the "meet the artist" section of his company's performance he showed the audience more of the Nutcracker phrases that he'd been working with. So...when I think about how this whole "Nutcracker Fever" piece was merely a testing ground for something much bigger, I'm convinced that the final product will be amazing.
At our performance, he gave us all candy with a "nut" theme. Each piece had some kinda nuts in it. :D
Overall, it was a great experience.

Allison

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:32 pm 

Thanks so much for sharing more of your experience with Parker! I really enjoyed hearing about his disco-esque Nutcracker! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:13 am 

Quote:
Thumb in Mouth

By DEBORAH JOWITT
The Village Voice
February 4 - 10, 2004

When I say David Parker makes you laugh, I don't mean the audience is in stitches—just that an intermittent current of guffaws, giggles, and snorts of pleasure accompanies his dances. Parker is a serious choreographer with eccentric ideas and a refined sense of irony.
more in the second half of the linked article

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:47 am 

Quote:
Velcro Jackets, Wistful Songs and an Inherent Sense of Fun

By JENNIFER DUNNING
The New York Times
February 7, 2004

David Parker knows his ballet. He also knows something about romantic love, roustabout physical comedy and the pleasure of plain body shapes and patterns.
more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:59 am 

From Iris Fanger in the Boston Phoenix: Opening with a Bang - Summer Stages at Concord Academy
Quote:
.... At the [Concord Academy], Summer Stages, under the direction of Amy Spencer and Richard Colton, former Twyla Tharp dancers who run the year-around dance program at Concord Academy, will launch its fifth season. And it’s the only one of the Boston-area programs that also runs a "Meet the Artist" performance series featuring its faculty and their companies. Launching the 2004 season is David Parker & the Bang Group, ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:01 am 

I'm cross-posting this from the Holiday Performances thread for those who might be interested in this group and not think to look there...

From Marcia Siegel in the Boston Phoenix:
Quote:
After-dinner nuts
David Parker at Concord Academy

The Christmas season careered to a finish January 5 at Concord Academy with yet another Nutcracker, sort of, the first complete Boston performance of David Parker’s Nut/Cracked. Parker and the Bang Group showed sections of the work-in-progress two years ago at Summer Stages, and it’s now evolved into an hour-long extravaganza of dance diversions and visual one-liners with a distant relationship to the perennial ballet.

More...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:33 pm 

Quote:
Get Up and Try Again
Life as a vaudeville in which irony squeezes out a tear as well as a guffaw
by DEBORAH JOWITT for the Village Voice

Some people get serious about anniversaries. Not David Parker. For his 10th, he does resurrect his first major piece, the 1990 duet We're Not Married but celebrates a decade of making dancegoers laugh by presenting a vaudeville of overlapping skits, Backward and in Heels, and a clever opener by Bruce Lansky and Kay Cummings (a colleague of mine at NYU), Haydn's Surprising Symphony.

published: April 18, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail