public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Complexions, A New York Dance Co
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 9:45 pm 

I found this newspaper clipping on my floor, from the NY Times. Don't know which of my folders or files it fell out of!!!Anyway-it is a review for a really cool new contemporary company in NYC called "Complexions", directed by Dwight Rhoden and featuring dancer Desmond Richardson. It's a review from a recent concert series at Hudson Theatre. Unfortunately the review clipping has the date ripped off, but it must have been from within the past couple of months. Did anyone see this group, or maybe see another work(s) by Rhoden? Richardson is apparently an awesome dancer. Friends from NY call him the "modern dancer's Baryshnikov"-he danced also in ABT and in "Fosse" on Broadway? What is Rhoden's work like--modern, post-modern, Ailey-esque (he used to dance in Ailey)? Anybody got the "scoop" on this group?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:55 am 

Quote:
One Word for Two Performers: Extraordinary
by JOHN ROCKWELL for the New York Times

It was Mr. Richardson's solo, a world premiere called "Showman's Groove," that provided the key for me, at least, to unlock the appeal of Dwight Rhoden's choreography.

published: May 3, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:19 pm 

There was a past topic of this company, here:

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewt ... omplexions

Dwight Rhoden's choreography is quite ecclectic, running the gamut from contemporary ballet a la Forsythe to jazz a la Fosse, with fellow founding AD Desmond Richardson excelling in performing the full range of works. For the current program at the Joyce, just the last work alone ("Red," a movement from the trilogy "Blue, White and Red") has everything in it, including tango.

And the quality of the dancers is very high, with Jodie Gates, formerly of Franfurt Ballet, leading the pack. However, one dancer that got my attention was Alicia Graf, who in addition to dancing with LINES Ballet (where her tall height fits in very well), is also a writer for various dance periodicals.

Profile E-mail