public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Merce Cunningham's Summerspace, Interscape & BIPED and
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 9:05 pm 

Michael, sure you can dance. You dance as well as me and Stuart. Image<P>And, Mairead, I haven't forgotten about you. I have actually been busy digesting something else. Liss Fain, AD of Liss Fain Dance (<A HREF="http://www.lissfaindance.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.lissfaindance.org</A>) and creator of "Sojourn at Alexandria" kindly gave me permission to preview her upcoming work, "Quarry," which combines dance, sculpture and the internet (are you reading this, Maggie?). In fact, there is so much to amaze at here that I am dividing Liss' treatise up into three parts which I will post over the next few days. Part 1 follows right after this post.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 06, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 9:06 pm 

<B>Liss Fain's "Quarry" -- Part 1 of 3</B><P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B><I><U><FONT FACE="Calisto MT" SIZE=4>Quarry</I></U>: Dance, Sculpture and the Internet</P></B></FONT><FONT FACE="Century Gothic" SIZE=3></FONT><B><FONT FACE="Book Antiqua">Liss Fain</B> is collaborating with several prominent Bay Area artists and technologists to create a unique new way of using the Internet in the performing arts. In collaboration with Ed Payne, CTO at QuickDog.com, Richard Deutsch, sculptor, and Kikim Media, she is exploring real-time collaborations using live dance performance with various art forms via the Internet. </P><B><I>Quarry</B></I> will premiere in September 2000, with choreography by Liss Fain, sculpture by Richard Deutsch, video production by Kikim Media, Internet consultation by Ed Payne and set design by Mathew Antaky. The piece begins as the audience enters, with streaming video of Richard Deutsch working granite on an open hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Davenport, CA. The set recreates the vast, haunting atmosphere of a quarry. With tightly stretched, sepia-tinted fabric that drops from two thirds of the way up the back and side walls of the stage and then curves as it meets the floor, Mathew Antaky establishes the walls of the quarry within which the dance unfolds. The only side entrances are at the front of the stage. Projected onto the set are real time images of Deutsch as he constructs a large, stone, site-specific sculpture that is designed to be walked through, creating an environment for the viewer. </P>Through the movement and shifting point of view of the videographer on-site, the size and perspective of the image will alter; and the audience will feel the movement of the sculptor at work. The visceral impact the stones create through their texture, size and density is conveyed through the eye of the camera and the design of the set. </P>After nine minutes of Deutsch sculpting abstract curvilinear shapes, the dancers enter and dance, as the images disappear and the reappear. The choreography integrates the curvilinear and abstract shapes of the sculpture, and the small groups of dancers who overlap each other as they enter and exit echo the solitary Deutsch in his work. The effect I want is of a complex and coherent piece comprised of two very strong visual elements. The music, Shostakovich <I>Piano Preludes and Fugues</I> played by Tatiana Nikolaevna, evokes a sense of quiet that is thoughtful, commanding and vigorous; and these qualities are reflected in the choreography. </P>The dance is inspired by an incident in which the box of family photographs was mistakenly thrown away and all visual history disappeared. Images of the lost photographs, the sculptor working alone on a large abstract piece and the quarry stones underlie the choreography. My work is abstract, using articulated and powerful movement. With technical precision and heightened physicality the movement creates images that are abstract, visceral and personal. </P></FONT><FONT FACE="Californian FB,Calisto MT">As the 28-minute dance ends, the images of the sculpture being constructed continue, and the lighting suffuses the rear of the stage. The audience feels as if they are moving away from the quarry. At the very end, a scrim unfolds at the front of the stage and the images are then projected onto both the front and rear creating a three-dimensional set that quietly closes with the disappearance of the light. </P></FONT><FONT FACE="Century Gothic" SIZE=3></FONT></BODY></HTML><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 06, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 11:10 pm 

Azlan,<BR>I will be away for about 5 weeks. It was a great discussion and even if we can't solve any of these problems it remains interesting and informative especially for choreography.<P>Kind regards<BR>Mairead

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 11:35 pm 

Five weeks???!!! We will miss you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2000 9:34 pm 

Also, in case no one noticed, there is a thread on dance and technology over in the Issues forum:<P> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000066.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000066.html</A><P>Grace adds: this thread has been fascinating - a bit TOO fascinating for MY brain, frankly! Image<P>however, it has taken a few twists and turns and is now rather long. i hope no-one will be dissuaded from continuing the discussion by my closing this thread. if it's the technology side you want to comment on, please go to the thread azlan has just mentioned. if it's the philosophical side, please DO start a new thread (michael: i really enjoyed your post). if something else, same applies, PLEASE!<P>thanks all! <P>p.s. mairead: would you like to start a little farewell thread to just remind us where you are going and what you'll be doing, so we can all start preparing our questions now? also, will you have internet access? (please?) Image<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 09, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2000 11:32 pm 

As grace mentioned in my post above, this thread will continue in the Dance and Technology thread in Issues. The link is repeated here again for clarity and convenience:<P> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000197.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000066.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3