public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weekly Village Voice round-up
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:29 am 

Image <BR>Kei Takei (photo Tom Brazil)<P>Deborah Jowett reports on a good week of dance in NY, as she finds things to admire in 3 different<BR>programmes:<P>First up is Kei Takei, a dancer who has mived to Japan. Jowett tells us that when she, ‘....performs, it is<BR>as if a tree walked. Her every step seems wrenched from the earth, achieved at great cost. Until I saw<BR>her new solo The Absence of Izanagi (Time Diary) at La MaMa, I had almost forgotten how much I<BR>missed her.’<P>Next is Laz Brezer's whose, ‘...expressiveness as a performer lies mostly in his bold<BR>face and strong, supple arms, which constantly stir and mold the air.’<P> Finally, there is RhythMEK, a new company formed by ex Alvin Ailey dancers. <BR>jowett tells us that, ‘There are 100 ways to hatch a dance troupe, and this is one of<BR>them—choosing choreography that showcases each wonderful dancer equally. Next,<BR>maybe, they'll think of more ways to define "wonderful." ‘<P> <A HREF="http://www.villagevoice.com/dance/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.villagevoice.com/dance/</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited July 08, 2000).]

Profile E-mail