public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Regina Klenjoski Dance Company
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 6:56 am 

From the Los Angeles Times - Lewis Segal review:<P><B>'MIMMY': WORDS SPEAK LOUDER THAN ACTIONS</B><P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>An 11-year-old Serbian child describes the brutalities of war in diary entries that condition the increasingly agonized choreography of "Dear Mimmy," the longest and most ambitious dance drama on an unrelievedly intense program by the Regina Klenjoski Dance Company at Highways Performance Space in Santa Monica on Thursday.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR><A HREF="http://www.latimes.com/cgi-bin/slwebcli?DBLIST=lt01&DOCNUM=15596&DBPUB=20010224PTrpdZYy&QDesc=%27Mimmy%27%3A%20Words%20Speak%20Louder%20Than%20Actions" TARGET=_blank>MORE...</A><P>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Regina Klenjoski Dance Company
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 3:38 pm 

I danced for Regina briefly in 1995, when she was still doing sporatic pick-up work in Chicago. All I know of her dance background is that she went to University of Ohio in Columbus (or is that Ohio State???) I was aware that she had moved to LA, but did not know that she had fully formed a dance company. Bravo to her! My friends in LA have told me that keeping modern dance alive in that city is a true feat.<P>Her movement, remembering back, is very strong indeed. I can see, as the reviewer said, where she might have some trouble with the sweeping emotional gestures of the premiered piece. She did a wonderful quirky - very athletic - woman's trio to "Sabrosa," an instrumental piece by the Beastie Boys. Very colorful and funky. I remember thinking she had a lot of potential as a maker of dances. We'll see if things take off for her . . . LA could use more modern companies. Who else is out there right now? Does Loretta Livingston have a company or does she only do pick-up work? Does anyone know?<P>tura

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2001 3:48 pm 

Many thanks tura for your memories of dancing with Regina.<P>I hope some other reviews come up. I would have liked to read more about 'Dear Mimmy'.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited February 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:59 am 

From the Los Angeles Times:<P><B>Style Redeems Regina Klenjoski's 'Original Sin'</B><P>By JENNIFER FISHER, Special to The Times<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Stylish is the word that comes to mind when it comes to choreographer Regina Klenjoski's production of "Original Sin," which was actually a seven-part essay on the famous Seven Deadly Sins. On Friday night at the James R. Armstrong Theatre in Torrance, excellent dancing and design elements strongly supported a piece that otherwise depended largely on familiar movement themes and one-note concepts for its evocation of sin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><A HREF="http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Theater-X!ArticleDetail-54482,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A> <BR>

Profile E-mail