public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Margaret Wingrove Dance Company 7/9/2000
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2000 4:10 pm 

For those of you who don't know, Margaret Wingrove is a SF Bay Area choreographer whose works have been performed across the country and in the UK.<P>This weekend, her company, MWDC which is the oldest contemporary dance company in San Jose, put on an entertaining show at the cozy San Jose Stage Theater, along with guest Robert Moses.<P>It would be dishonest of me if I didn't say that Robert Moses, a faculty member of Stanford University and founder of Robert Moses 'Kin, was the most electrifying act of the show, performing two highly original and absorbing solos; one to music by The Last Poets and the other to music by Bonga.<P>Of the rest of the program, only one was not choreographed by Wingrove. Juliet Ferriera, also a Modern Dance instructor for the San Jose Cleveland Ballet created a joyful work on three dancers, including herself, and a basketball which entertained the crowd.<P>Most of Wingrove's works pushed the limits of dance in one form or another while still maintaining a certain level of entertainment. I had a few qualms about the pieces but I must say I was generally entertained by the quality of the dancing.

Profile E-mail