public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Table Series, Palace of Fine Arts, SF, 1-12-2000
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 8:58 pm 

Well, I just came back from an interesting evening at the Exploratorium at the Palace of Fine Arts.<P>The program notes read: "The Table Series. Three Choreographers. Six dancers. One table."<P>The description on Bay Dance read: "Three pieces based on a twenty-foot table."<P>Three works on display were Steve Hunter's "Haphazard," a work about investigation, with music by "Tom Club and Vanner och Frander/Friends" and Garmarna. Alas, having once again underestimating the sluggishness of Bay Area traffic, I missed this work entirely.<P>Sarah McLennan's "7:10 at the Wilson's" is a comedy about a dysfunctional family at the dinner table. I found it witty and funny -- but a little too slapstick for my own personal taste. The work used different instrumental voices in Hajima Tachibana's Hm.<P>Finally, the night ended with a tango-based solo work by Sam Mitchell titled "Dining Alone Tonight...Sir?" about a frenzied waiter sitting on a discriminating patron. The comedy at times worked for me but sometimes I wondered if Mitchell was dancing two characters (waiter and patron) or just one schizophrenic character.<BR>

Profile E-mail