public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:54 pm 

Why only one measly paragraph on one of Boston's leading local choreographers? Does anyone know if this is driven by the editors or the writer?

Whether it is your cup of tea or not, Caitlin Corbett's performance last week was filled with topics worthy of discussion (integration of film, a program spanning old rep and new work, use of non-dancers, choreography extracted from everyday movements, etc.) Would anyone who was present like to discuss the content of this work, which is clearly absent from the press?

If you're interested in talking about the use of non-dancers, I started a feed earlier this week http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29717

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:50 pm 

It's usually decided by the editor based on space in the paper. I agree one paragraph is insufficient for someone whose work seems to rich.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am 

By Nicole Lamy in the Boston Globe:
Quote:
Dancer in the dark - An outsider finds her place with professionals

My role in Corbett's newest work, "Tom's Wealth: A Dance for the Masses," inspired by a passage from "Tom Sawyer," was turning out to be trickier than I had imagined. Her call for what she terms "non-dancers" to perform the piece - which arrived in my in-box last winter - made it sound much simpler: All I had to do was sit, stand, run, and count.

More...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:05 am 

By Karen Campbell in the Boston Globe:
Quote:
'Tom's Wealth' finds treasure in the everyday
Ultimately, "Tom's Wealth" isn't particularly stirring or revelatory or even entertaining in the mode of the flashy, fast-paced virtuosity we so often expect. Rather, it is unfussy and organic, a lovely, mostly lighthearted way to spend 50 minutes that sets us up to look at and listen to, afresh, what we may encounter every day.

And in the end, it somehow makes you feel a little more connected to the things that truly matter.
More...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:16 am 

By Marcia Siegel in the Boston Phoenix:
Quote:
Ambling - Caitlin Corbett’s dance for the masses

Tom’s Wealth is described as a community event, and it demonstrates a central contradiction. Dance for the masses is a great experience, often a transforming one, for the participants, but their capabilities can’t often stretch to meet an audience’s theatrical demands. It seemed to me that Corbett made an intelligent merger between the masses and the professionals, but the dance’s individual sections were so fragmentary they didn’t quite add up.

More...

Post subject: Re: Caitlin Corbett
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:49 am 

From Marcia Siegel in the Boston Phoenix: Anniversary waltz - Caitlin Corbett Dance Company at 25