public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lloyd Newson - DV8
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:25 pm 

Further adventures of dance's inspired outsider
Dismissing classical ballet as 'flower arrangement', choreographer Lloyd Newson has taken his DV8 troupe to the highest echelons of contemporary dance. Ismene Brown meets him for The Daily Telegraph.

"There is a saying that the reasonable man adapts himself to the world but the unreasonable man tries to make the world adapt to him; therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man." The choreographer Lloyd Newson smiles at me as he quotes GB Shaw's aphorism.

He can't help looking patronising as he does so, but I will stand a lecture from Newson, because I am so often enraptured by his dance productions for his now internationally renowned company, DV8 Physical Theatre. A good picture is worth a thousand worthy words, and Newson's stage pictures can cling to your mind for years.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lloyd Newson - DV8
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:37 am 

Review from The Guardian.

Quote:
Brand new or just brand, asked the message board as we left DV8's Living Costs at Tate Modern. Well, not brand new: it is a partial though substantial reworking of Cost of Living (2000). Just brand? A much more pertinent question, and a central theme of Lloyd Newson's piece, which takes the audience on a tour through the Tate, with scenes from low-art clowning to high-art ballet, by way of vaudeville, pop, circus and fashion.
MORE

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 11:45 pm 

Review from The Times.

Quote:
THIS is a mess. But that’s exactly what it is meant to be. Living Costs is a helter-skelter promenade performance that turns the galleries of Tate Modern into a boutique where a variety of values are on display.
DV8’s evening begins with the appearance of our hostess (Wendy Houstoun). She’s in matronly black with a strand of inept fake pearls. After making certain that all our headsets are working, she brusquely herds us off around the building. The process is a little like trying to navigate Heathrow with a package-holiday crowd that won’t get out of your way.

MORE

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:28 am 

Review from The Observer.

Quote:

In DV8's promenade performance at Tate Modern, the former power station is the star. Whatever message Newson intends to put across is dwarfed by the volume of space in which we watch the dancers and each other; 250 spectators are herded from the Turbine Hall up to the top floor by bossy Wendy Houstoun and vigilant gallery staff. No straying allowed, although DV8, as its name suggests, prides itself on nonconformity.

MORE

<small>[ 25 May 2003, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:41 am 

DV8 at Tate Modern
By Jenny Gilbert for The Independent

Given the entire echoing building to play with, Newson opts to take his audience on a dark, guided walk with cabaret turns from the floor of the Turbine Hall to the famous café at the top, with "taste" becoming more refined on each successive level. Herded into groups, heads clamped with earphones, we promenaders are naturally braced for confrontation. But Lloyd lets his public off pretty lightly.

On the ground floor we are confronted by a ghastly community singsong (there's no escape: you sing), a display of expletive, head-banging pogo-dance, and an extraordinary TV-type game.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 10:18 pm 

Living Costs, Tate Modern, London
By Nadine Meisner for The Independent

This is a DV8 Physical Theatre show that expects obedient spectators, the way that site-specific promenade shows tend to expect them. Wendy Houstoun raps out, like an irritating gym teacher: "Move forward, move back, sit down. Quickly!" Back-up enforcement comes from other ushers, who include DV8's founding director, Lloyd Newson. They keep you in order as you progress from one video or physical event to another through Tate Modern. You are tagged with different coloured bracelets, given headphones to listen to the music, and late-comers are harangued.

My friend Leslie and I arrived a couple of minutes late, turning the evening into an interactive performance.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:56 am 

Time to deviate
Preview by Steve Timms for manchester online

‘EVER tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.’- Worstward Ho, Samuel Beckett.

"One of the reasons I left mainstream dance was because you weren’t allowed to show any failure on stage", explains Lloyd Newson, DV8's dynamic Artist Director.

"Everything was about perfection. Life for me is all about failing, trying to learn from those changes: If you take failure out of a piece of art - if you don’t look at the fat, old or disabled - how do you start talking about art?"

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:52 pm 

Just for Show
By Luke Clancy at O'Reilly Theatre, Dublin for The Times

“HE’S HIV positive.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes, you are.”

“Oh, yes, I am.”

There is almost non-stop gab throughout Lloyd Newson’s latest creation for his DV8 Physical Theatre. This chatter offers a certain amount of help when it comes to marking out the territory under inspection but it is undeniably when — every now and then — everybody shuts up that Just for Show is at its richest and most eloquent.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:56 am 

Quote:
Just for Show
by JUDITH MACKRELL for the Guardian

When they're not dancing, his cast of nine desperate wannabes are acting out other aspirational scenarios.

published: May 28, 2005
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:50 pm 

DV8's Newson discusses S.F. production
Mary Ellen Hunt, Special to The Chronicle
Thursday, November 12, 2009

Quote:
Founded in 1986 by Australian-born Lloyd Newson - who studied psychology in Melbourne before joining New Zealand Ballet - DV8 Physical Theatre's unnerving and often raw work blends movement with text - sometimes provocative and unafraid to dive headlong into touchy topics like racism and religious intolerance.

In "To Be Straight With You," which opens at Yerba Buena's Novellus Theater tonight, the company dives headlong into the issue of homophobia and violence against gay people in a confrontational work, both visceral and brainy.

Q: What inspired this piece?

A: In the early '90s, my partner and I went to a gay pride march just outside Brixton, which was largely an African Caribbean community. We were walking to this park, and I was holding my partner's hand and we got an incredible amount of abuse.

He, being nonwhite, was deeply shocked, maybe even more than I was. And the question we spoke about later was why is it that a minority who has experienced oppression and hatred, why would they give it out so readily to another minority?

More...