public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trisha Brown in London
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2000 10:35 am 

Image <P><BR>Oh dear! Another performance I should have seen. The Trisha Brown Dance Company close Dance Umbrella with a bang as far as Judith Mackrell in The Guardian is concerned:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sometimes they throw up images that look as randomly beautiful as things in nature - a staggered formation has the chance grandeur of a mountain range. Sometimes they are fraught with human will and emotion - a tautly sculpted female trio looks like a tragic monument. It is a remarkable feat, suggesting beauty as pure accident and pure artifice. Brown at 63 is not only an awesome mistress of her craft, but a visionary too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P> <A HREF="http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/reviews/story/0,3604,393390,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/reviews/story/0,3604,393390,00.html</A> <P><BR>Donald Hutera in The Times also enjoys the visit:<P> <A HREF="http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,30570,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,30570,00.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 21, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trisha Brown in London
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2000 11:33 pm 

I really like the picture you chose to stick up with your post, Stuart. The costumes from "5 Part Weather Invention" were among my favorites when I saw the Trisha Brown Company perform. It also was my favorite piece of the evening.<P>Anyway - most of the costumes here looked like fun to dance in. And so sporty...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 12:36 am 

yes, it's a knock-out image priscilla and thanks for identifying the work.<P><A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000148269364269&rtmo=LxtiSKdd&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/00/11/7/bttrish.html" TARGET=_blank><B> Ismene Brown</B></A> on the Trisha Brown Dance Company and Stephen Petronio Company at the Queen Elizabeth Hall.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 07, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 10:36 am 

I've never seen Trisha Brown company..one of the few I haven't seen. Interestingly, I auditioned for her company about 100 years ago!! Actually, it was the most fun audition I've ever been to! She arranged it like a giant improv...!<BR>Also, another anectdote--as we entered her studio, we had to sign in and one of the company members gave us a number. Anyway, as we started, this company member went through the entire group (at least 75 people)and identified each of us by name!!..she had memorized each of them as we entered!! She then said, only half-jokingly...."you have to have a really good memory to be in this company"..which we all found only slightly amusing, if not intimidating!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 11:22 am 

I count her among my favorite modern dance choreographers of today. A MacArthur "genius award" winner and another Washington native (from Aberdeen) as well. Hopefully, one of our presenting organizations will invite her back before too much more time elapses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 12:55 pm 

BTW, Brown did a new work for White Oak's tribute to Judson Dance. It was one of the two or so works that were more dance-like but still challenging to the audience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2000 2:03 am 

<A HREF="Http://www.independent.co.uk/enjoyment/Theatre/Dance/Reviews/2000-11/dancerev081100.shtml" TARGET=_blank><B> Nadine Meisner reviews </B></A>Trisha Brown in The Independent

Profile E-mail