It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wil Swanson/Dance Works
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:13 am 

Jennifer Dunning writes in the NY Times:

Quote:
Wil Swanson
The Duke on 42nd Street

Wil Swanson celebrated movement itself in all its lush and shimmering glory in the final program of the 92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Project's ambitious, provocative monthlong "92 on 42" festival. New and recent pieces, performed by Mr. Swanson's company on Wednesday night at the Duke on 42nd Street, spilled over with dance that was a sensuous pleasure but also surprisingly human, given the abstract nature and brainy inventiveness of the choreography.
Click for More

[This message has been edited by Misa_danseuse (edited March 19, 2002).]

<small>[ 05 July 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Azlan ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wil Swanson/Dance Works
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:39 pm 

Deborah Jowitt in the Village Voice:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You can't dance with Trisha Brown for 10 years and not feel a bone-deep influence in your own choreography. The three pieces Wil Swanson showed at the 92nd Street Y Harkness Dance Project at the Duke have a subtle elegance and a wayward formalism I associate with Brown, as well as moves that share her fluid style: soft springs, lightly flung steps, complex ricocheting interactions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0212/jowitt.php target=_blank>More</a>, in the first item of the linked article

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:05 pm 

I saw Wil Swanson perform here in Seattle about four years ago. A solo in the Seattle Festival of Alternative Dance and Improvisation. He was a gorgeous mover, but I felt choreographically, at loose ends. More specifically, I wondered if he would be able to find his own creative voice, after dancing with Trisha Brown for so long. I also thought this, to a slight degree, about David Parsons (Paul Taylor influence), as well. An even MORE gorgeous dancer! Anyway, four years ago is a long time, and as I've learned over time, you can't really tell TOO much about someone by seeing one dance, for better or for worse. PS. Personal note: An old boyfriend of mine knew Wil Swanson when they both started out in dance together in Duluth, Minnesota!! Small world!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:01 am 

Quote:
Savoring the Charms of Space

JENNIFER DUNNING
NY Times

Wil Swanson has repaid the loyalty of his audiences by growing, gradually but steadily, into a choreographer of impressive authority and invention. <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/05/arts/dance/05SWAN.html target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:52 am 

Quote:
Done and Undone

Lara Schrage
Village Voice

Will Swanson/DanceWorks' "Wild Human Poetry" (Danspace St. Marks, June) included the world premiere of cubic legroom... <a href=http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0331/footnotes.php target=_blank>more</a>

Profile E-mail