public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lubovitch, Varone, Eiko and Koma
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2000 6:32 am 

Tobi Tobias writes on Lar Lubovitch, Doug Varone, and Eiko and Koma.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.nymag.com/page.cfm?page_id=4195" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nymag.com/page.cfm?page_id=4195</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lubovitch, Varone, Eiko and Koma
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2000 12:10 pm 

Since Lubovitch makes a point about highlighting his dancers in this piece, does anyone know the names of some of these dancers? Apparently the piece is centered around the skills and personalities of the individual dancers. So knowing who that dancers are might be interesting!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2000 11:31 am 

This is the cast of "Men's Stories":<P>Scott Rink, Griff Braun, Philip Gardner, Michael Thomas, Jason McDole, Gerald Casel, Roger C. Jeffrey, Marc Mann and Kevin Scarpin<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 9:12 am 

Thank you cdtooth. Have you seen this piece--what did you think? You can tell I haven;t lived in NY in many years..I didn't recognize any of these dancers! Sigh! Many years ago, Clay Taliaferro, a notable Limon dancer, did a similar piece, featuring all men. It was performed at the Limon Center space--it was quite well done. Also, Phyllis Lamhut did a piece like this...as a memorial to friends who died of AIDS.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 12:28 pm 

I did see the piece; in fact, I can see the roof of the Orensanz Center from my bedroom window. The material was so dense, I felt like I'd need to see it all over again to sort through. I guess any all-male piece by an artist of Lubovitch's age will be peopled by the ghosts of AIDS, though never specifically mentioned. I found sections of it reminding me of the physicality of DV8's "Enter Achilles." I've posted an additional review of the piece on the Lar Lubovitch thread.<P>Scott Rink, Jason McDole and Gerald Casel were the only cast members I'd seen dance before.

Profile E-mail