public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Technique of Lester Horton
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2001 9:50 pm 

Marie asked a question on another topic area about Horton technique. I am not an expert by an means, but will try to share what I do know. Lester Horton was an early modern dance pioneer, based mostly in the LA area. Such dancers as Alvin Ailey, Joyce Trisler, James Truitte and Carmen deLavallade ( and I think Bella Lewitzky) danced in his company. Horton technque develops and requires very strong "core" muscles-stomach, back quadriceps. If you're not strong in those areas, you will be really sore after class. It does do a lot of hinges (using the knees as a hinge or lever to tilt the body in various ways), falls to the floor and off balances turns and tilts. It may look "dated" to some folks, but most early techniques--Graham, Limon, etc. look dated if done in their pure form. Current good Horton techers are Milton Myers (taught recenlty at Ailey school and Jacobs Pillow) and ???hmmm I'm not sure who else. Anybody out there know? The Ailey company used to be Horton based, but now, it's so eclectic, it would be hard to say what modern technique they focus on. If you look at "Revelations", there' s a lot of Horton there.<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited March 07, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Technique of Lester Horton
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2001 7:41 am 

From the Los Angeles Times:<P><B>The Lester Horton Dance Awards Return, in Double Time</B> <P><BR>By ELAINE DUTKA, Times Staff Writer<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Lester Horton Dance Awards are back. The 10th edition of the event, presented by the Dance Resource Center of Greater Los Angeles, will take place Sunday at North Hollywood's El Portal Center for the Arts. <BR> Two sets of 15 awards--one set to acknowledge work from 1999 and the other covering 2000--will be handed out in an unusual double ceremony that makes up for the fact that the Hortons--the Southland's only comprehensive dance concert awards--were on hiatus last spring.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR><A HREF="http://www.latimes.com/print/calendar/20010331/t000027453.html" TARGET=_blank>MORE...</A><BR> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2001 10:31 am 

Good to see that the name and legacy of Lester Horton are back in the spotlight. A much neglected figure in modern dance history, some say because his career was not made in NY, the cultural "hub" of modern, at least during the 40's and 50's.<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited August 21, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2001 12:44 pm 

Just a little addition to Trina's original description..Horton actually developed the technique on the body of Bella Lewitsky..and thus many consider her the closest source since it was made on her body..I've heard many dancers who danced with her say how rough it was if their body was not similar to that of Bellas because obviously this resulted in a lot of injuries..anyway..Bella's company footage is a really good source to learn more & of course the Ailey company also uses the technique since Alvin took over the company after Horton's death (before he started the Ailey company).<P>------------------<BR><BR>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 1:27 pm 

I am at a dance school in NY where there are some really good Horton classes, pure as well as some that have been modernised. email me fi you are in NY and want the address

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 1:31 pm 

Mairead...is Milton Meyers still teaching Horton in NY? He was the best Horton teacher I was aware of...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 1:33 pm 

Mairead, welcome back! We've missed you!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 6:43 am 

My daughter has taken class with Milton Myers at Steps: the last time was in her Christmas vacation, so I presume he is still teaching there now. Is he teaching anywhere else in the area?<BR>My daughter has (until this year) been taught by Sean Greene, who danced with Bella Lewitsky; he is now teaching at Calarts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 7:25 am 

Milton Meyers was teaching at Jacobs Pillow Festival in the summers. I'm not sure if he's teaching there this summer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2001 6:26 am 

From the Los Angeles Times:<P><BR><B>Doing the Awards Dance</B> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I read with great interest the article concerning the recent alterations in the nomination process for the Lester Horton Dance Awards ("The Lester Horton Dance Awards Return, in Double Time," by Elaine Dutka, March 31).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> <P><BR><A HREF="http://www.latimes.com/news/comment/20010407/t000029559.html" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail