public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wendy Whelan: "Restless Creature"
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:07 pm 

Wendy Whelan has commissioned choreographers Kyle Abraham, Joshua Beamish, Brian Brooks and Alejandro Cerrudo to create duets to be performed by Ms. Whelan and the respective choreographers. The premiere will occur at Jacob's Pillow on August 14, 2013. Siobhan Burke previews the program for the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wendy Whelan: "Restless Creature"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:43 pm 

In the Boston Globe, Janine Parker reviews the August 14, 2013 performance of "Restless Creature."

Boston Globe

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:58 pm 

Tobi Tobias writes about Wendy Whelan for Arts Journal.

Arts Journal

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:46 pm 

Alastair Macaulay reviews the Friday, August 16, 2013 performance at Jacob's Pillow for the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 am 

Clement Crisp reviews the "Restless Creature" program on Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at the Linbury Studio Theatre in Covent Garden for the Financial Times.

Financial Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:58 pm 

Wendy Whelan performs Restless Creature, Saturday, April 25, 2015 at the Ohio Theatre in Cleveland. Zachary Lewis previews the performance for the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Cleveland Plain Dealer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:39 am 

Wendy Whelan
Restless Creature
The Joyce Theater
New York, New York

May 26, 2014
Ego Et Tu, Conditional Sentences, The Serpent and the Smoke, First Fall

-- by Jerry Hochman

When last we visited Wendy Whelan, it was her farewell with New York City Ballet following a distinguished 30 year career, and we looked forward to new and continuing beginnings, both for NYCB and for her. NYCB has moved on, as successful ballet companies always do after one of its dancers, albeit in this case a legendary one, retires. But it must be particularly difficult, I would assume, for a ballerina to move on when she’s devoted herself to ballet, and to one company, for most of her life.

But those of us who’ve watched her over the years know that Wendy Whelan isn’t your standard operating ballerina, and that she had already laid the groundwork for the next stage of her career before she retired from NYCB, presenting a program of dances at Jacobs Pillow in 2013.

Last night was the opening of a week long run at the Joyce Theater (including an extra performance added, by audience demand) of essentially the same Jacob’s Pillow program (apparently with one addition) – an evening devoted to Whelan's artistic partnership with four contemporary choreographers (Alejandro Cerrudo, Joshua Beamish, Kyle Abraham, and Brian Brooks) in the form of four separate duets.

The total program lasted an hour, without an intermission, and despite its brevity (or perhaps because if it), it was consistently interesting, and consistently revelatory. And Whelan, the one constant in this consistency, never ceases to amaze.

Whelan has previously stated that she wanted to explore new choreography that isn’t ballet, and to be able to choose what she dances - opportunities that established companies generally don’t provide. But even though the choreography for this program was 'contemporary' and modern, whatever that means these days, what impressed me most was that, no matter what style she danced (and the choreographers utilized distinct movement qualities, the equivalent of different languages), Whelan was still the ballerina. I don't mean that as a criticism. Her instrument is so finely tuned (think human violin string that tightens or loosens as may be required, and can be ‘played’ stoically or infused with passion), and she looks so ethereal on stage that even when she’s grounded she seems always prepared to fly. She looks comfortable with any style, and blesses whatever she dances with a particular grace.

Different though they were from each other. I enjoyed all four duets, and marveled at Whelan's ability to change styles, much less change costumes - in seconds.

The more I see if Cerrudo's work, the more impressed I am by the breadth of his choreographic ability. I was introduced to his work first by Pacific Northwest Ballet last fall, and saw several pieces performed by Hubbard Street Dance Chicago just a few week ago. Although I had reservations about some of them, it was clear that Cerrudo has a fine command, and knows where he wants his pieces to go – that is, in most if not all of those dances I’ve seen, he curates his accompanying music from a variety of sources, rather than choreographing to a particularly composition).

Ego Et Tu, though abstract, has a clear theme that’s more than simply bare emotional gloss. Beneath a solitary beam of light, one man, Cerrudo, appears to be searching for something. The movement is a combination of agitation and slow-motion stretching. At one point, he bends such that his head touches the floor, not quite in frustration, but in puzzlement. Like something's missing, but he doesn't know what. He eventually reaches through the upstage rear curtain closure, and pulls out Whelan, costumed in pure white. While she doesn't look quite like a swan, she moves her arms consistent with being an avian apparition.

At first, as the duet begins, she gently touches his head; he pulls away. He touches her body; her body seems to weep. For awhile, they move parallel to each other, and at some point her head touches his, as if trying to access it, or recognizing that she's sprung from it. Obviously, his ‘head,’ and the thoughts in it, are a significant visual reference.

As the dance continues, they spar somewhat, but he subsequently appears to accept her, or the thought of her, and then, seemingly complete, he lets her go. Although the ‘awakening’ or ‘need to be complete’ or ‘getting to know you, and through you, me’ themes are relatively trite, the movement is primarily lyrical, even balletic, both agitated and gentle at the same time, with has a quality of warmth that is welcoming. And the image of Whelan in white is stunning.

Beamish's piece, Conditional Sentences, was the most strange to me in terms if choreographic language, but also strangely interesting. It premiered in 2015, so obviously was not included in the Jacobs Pillow performance.

The two dancers appear at first from opposite wings, and then Whelan dances solo. Beamish soon approaches her, and a ‘conversation’ of sorts ensues. At first the movement appears balletic. But then unusual hand, arm, and head movements snap in one or another direction, as if controlled not by some exterior force, but by an internal direction - like some humanoid alien who speaks a different body language, crossed with the staccato movement that a ‘flip book’ might yield. After awhile, this movement quality began to grow on me, because it wasn't so much quirky, which it was, as internally consistent, and particularly crisp-looking. And although it’s an abstract dance, there was something going on here - incomplete conversations, perhaps – that was intriguing to try to decipher.. But what was mist extraordinary about the piece was Whelan's mastery of Beamish’s upper limb choreographic angularity, done at a breakneck speed.

The Serpent and the Smoke, is a compelling piece of both stagecraft and choreography. There were no program notes – just the title and listing of the music, but I sensed an encounter between two forces, in a jungle-like atmosphere. One character, Abraham, is first seen in shadow upstage (perhaps emerging from bushes), but then moves downstage and begins to whirl wildly, almost out of control. This feverish movement is periodically interrupted by slower, shimmying movement. The other character, Whelan, emerges from the darkness and either tempts or taunts him. The piece has an intensity about it that's mesmerizing, and a somewhat lyrical quality that vividly contrasts with the initial wildness. And even though Abraham, logically, was The Smoke and Whelan The Snake (the fire/smoke attracts and repels the viper, who eventually retreats and leaves The Smoke to its vapor), it could have been the other way around (or simply two forces meeting in the dark in an abstract dance – but with its title, I suspect the dance’s meaning, whatever it is, is more literal). Abraham is a compelling stage presence, and his stage ferocity coupled with Whelan’s calculated cool resulted in a knock-out performance..

The concluding duet, Brian Brooks's First Fall, was commissioned for the Vail International Dance Festival and premiered in 2012. It’s a deceptively complex piece that I disliked initially, but it eventually won me over.

Describing it is particularly difficult, because the level of emotional interaction is minimal, and yet it’s intense. Whelan, a vision in a yellow dress, and Brooks appear to attempt to connect, or to support each other. Although the movement is interesting, it didn’t register.

But then, when the piece reached its closing segment, it became a thing of rare beauty, as Brooks appeared to try to save Whelan, who repeatedly fell to the floor (a more graceful fall probably does not exist), atop part of his body. He’d lift himself up, and in the process give her new life; but then she’d fall again, and the cycle repeats until the piece ends with her on top of him, both spent. And in the process of watching these images , a light went off. The Philip Glass composition from which Brooks culled the excerpts he used, String Quartet No. 3, is also called ‘Mishima’, and was used as the score for the 1985 film “Mishima, A Life in Four Chapters,” which referenced the life and notorious 1970 suicide of Japanese writer Yukio Mishima. While First Fall is hardly ‘about’ Mishima, and probably not about suicide (and indeed may not be ‘about’ anything), connecting it to a fall from grace, or from self-respect, or from any will to live --- to ‘giving up’ (or even, 'giving in', as in giving in to a relationship), makes some amount of visual sense – and also makes the piece much more cosmic in force than a visualized series of stage falls.

But even if the piece has no ‘meaning’ at all, the repeated images of Whelan losing bodily strength and emotional will, and of Brooks repeatedly attempting to push her back up, are an extraordinary visual montage that lingers in the memory long after the piece concluded – just as Whelan’s extraordinary dramatic range and physical control lingers in the memory long after the program ends.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:02 pm 

Alexandra Villarreal reviews the Saturday, June 6, 2015 performance at New York's Joyce Theatre for the Huffington Post

Huffington Post

Profile E-mail