It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:34 am 

The one I missed earlier:

Quote:
Chunky Move, Joyce Theater, New York
by HILARY OSTLERE for the Financial Times

As the choreography becomes more abstract and Jason Sweeney and Cailin Burns’ music and sound design grow ever louder, the piece is less convincing. The original idea diffuses in a wave of flailing limbs.

published: July 13, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:51 pm 

Boy, Ostlere has quite a different opinion than my own. From her review, it looks like she was wanting a definitive conclusion to how five socially awkward men satisfy their goals in "I want to dance better at parties." Well, firstly, modern dance -- and modern art for that matter -- is about the abstract -- it doesn't provide answers but it asks questions. And secondly, the truth is social awkwardness isn't pretty and is often times murky.

I thought this was one of the best works I have seen it for a long time. It made me laugh, cry and think. Lil Tutu and I shot glances at each other throughout the performances nodding our heads as we relate to the experiences being expressed.

Gideon Obarzanek's choreography was efficient -- he said what he wanted to say in an hour. And artistic directors and presenters should learn from that -- an hour-long show can sometimes be more satisfying than a three-hour long three-act program.

And there are some incredible dancers in this company, including Anthony Hamilton and Kristy Ayre.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:35 am 

Quote:
Moving to Live
by DEBORAH JOWITT for the Village Voice

Obarzanek's staging doesn't mirror these stories literally but rebounds off them and digs more deeply into them. Phillip often hyperventilated after his wife's death: Wheeler sticks his thumb into Hamilton's mouth for two-man, inhale-exhale CPR; as one expands, the other deflates. Breath becomes a repeated shorthand for dancing, pulling the performers onto awkward tiptoe, creating more air and space in their torsos. Serle reveals Franc's profound insecurity by grasping his crotch and making terrible, punitive faces as the others close in gaily around him.

published: July 14, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:37 am 

In the Boston Globe, Wesley Morris interviews Gideon Obarzanek in anticipation of a performance by Chunky Move at the Institute of Contemporary Art this weekend:
Quote:
A step ahead
.... The occasion was "I Want to Dance Better at Parties," a 2004 piece that reconstitutes Obarzanek's interviews with five Australian men (some love to dance; one finds it mortifying) as an exuberant consideration of the art of performance. Obarzanek calls the show "expressionistic documentary on stage," ....
More

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:32 am 

From Karen Campbell in the Boston Globe:
Quote:
'Parties' explores fun, awkwardness
Chunky Move's "I Want to Dance Better at Parties," ... is a witty, engaging, and occasionally touching exploration of how we feel about dancing - the joy as well as the vulnerability and the awesome potential for humiliation.

More...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:14 am 

Ten scenes from a recent performance of "I Want to Dance Better at Parties" on the Boston Phoenix web site: Slideshow: Chunky Move at ICA

They are introduced with a brief commentary by Greg Cook concluding:
Quote:
The performance moves from country western clogging to traditional Israeli dancing to a scene in which deeply-breathing dancers seem to inflate and deflate like holiday lawn ornaments. The moment that sticks in my head: A woman swaying to a slithery, sultry belly dance gets tackled by a guy flying out of the wings. And a brawl erupts.

Post subject: Re: Chunky Move Dance Company
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:08 am 

Dance from Two Centuries:
Rambert Mixed Bill at Sadler's Wells, 16th October and Chunky Move's “Mortal Engine” at the QEH, 20th October

by Stuart Sweeney

These two contrasted contemporary dance programmes, seen a few days apart, gave me the idea to review them together and see if any insights arise. Rambert Dance Company, the oldest in the UK, provided a triple bill with a short extra work. This is a common structure for Rambert, drawing on its rich history with works as far back as the 1930's, combined with several new commissions each year. Here, no less than three of the works are “new to the company” revivals of 20th C. works, combined with a new commission, which could easily have come from the same century.

In “Roses”, Paul Taylor set himself a demanding task: a 30-minute work consisting of an ensemble section for 5 couples, who never leave the stage, set to a Wagner's “Siegfried Idyll”, followed by an extended duet by a 6th couple to an adagio by Heinrich Baermann, flowing almost seamlessly after the Wagner. Choreographers often use exits and entrances, varying the numbers on-stage to provide a fresh field of view and focus. In “Roses”, Taylor explores how a dance-maker can retain the interest of the audience without such devices. The patterns he weaves have the spatial mastery of Balanchine, as the five couples seem to portray a single relationship full of romantic lyricism, mixing conventional movement with somersaults and other eye-catching steps. For the final pas de deux, Angela Towler and Kirill Burlov performed the steps with grace, but never quite caught the romanticism achieved in the ensemble section.

Like “Roses”, “Dutiful Ducks”dates from the 1980's. Choreographer, Richard Alston, had already used a text-sound composition by Charles Amirkhanian to great success in “Rainbow Bandit”. Here we get a dotty poem about ducks, playful repetitions, all making a delightful sound tapestry. Alston's choreography matches this with kinetic movement, abrupt changes of direction and even classical entrechats. Dane Hurst, arguably one of the best male dancers in the UK, made the work his own and should be able to dine out on this delicious morsel at festivals around the world.

“Sounddance” is a Merce Cunningham work from the 1970's - the programme tells us that the opening solo was originally danced by Cunningham himself. Given that his eponymous company is closed forever, groups like Rambert are keeping his work on-stage. It seems typical Merce to me with heads tilted to one side, difficult balances, petit jetée, and curved arms making semi-circles and ogives. In “Sounddance”, to David Tudor's near-white noise accompaniment, the 10 dancers appear and disappear through a gap in a curtained backdrop. There are lovely moments such as deer-like jumps and the Rambert dancers give it their all, but this work didn't resonant with me as for some of Cunningham's rep.

The London première of “Labyrinth of Love” was the big event of the Sadler's run. There are memorable aspects: the singing of Soprano Kirsty Hopkins as she interacts with the dancers; eye-catching, white costumes by Conor Murphy; a long counter at the back of the stage, often used for humorous effects and projected images of fires. What seemed notably missing was - love – not for one moment was I emotionally engaged by the work. The choreography had little to separate it from any number of other contemporary dance pieces and 8 men jumping one by one off the back of the counter transformed the stunning finale from MacMillan's “Requiem” into mere banality.

I saw Chunky Move's “Ghost” a few years ago at the Lublin Festival in Poland – a solo on an illuminated floor, with software generating a series of patterns and shapes initiated by the dancer's movement. I remember thinking, “If this is the 21st C. count me in!” Thus, I had great expectation when I read that choreographer, Gideon Obarzanek, was to bring a larger scale work based on the same technology to London. I was not disappointed.

In “Mortal Engines”, Freider Weiss's software also reacts to the music of Robin Fox, as well as the 6 dancers, generating scintillating images on a tilted stage. A solo dancer shows anguish and a jangling, electric pattern is thrown off with every movement. A couple sleep in an upright position, as part of the stage tilts to the vertical. As they roll around soft-edged shapes follow their path. The range of patterns is varied, sometimes vibrating ellipses sometimes black drops falling like rain. But throughout, the inventive choreography of the near naked bodies shows great physicality and always emphasises their humanity. Finally green lasers and smoke create tunnels and planes of light for a jaw-dropping climax. In the after show talk, Obarzanek told us that after making these two pieces in 2008, he moved away from a high-tech approach and now works with actors, alongside dancers, but he was very happy to see “Mortal Engines” again.

So, are there any links to be drawn between the two programmes? “Mortal Engine” with its dizzying visuals will stay in my mind much longer than the Rambert show. Perhaps the UK's oldest company could push the envelope a little more, alongside its celebration of 20th C dance and be more risk-taking in its choice of current choreographers to provide audiences with the new possibilities that the 21st C offers.

Profile E-mail