public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jiri Kylian
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 1999 3:43 pm 
Wow! Wasn't that performance by Hubbard Street of Kylian's Sechs Tanze absolutely brilliant in its send-up of classical ballet?<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited 10-29-1999).]

Post subject: Re: Jiri Kylian
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 7:23 pm 
I was impressed by Hubbard St., even without Sechs Tanze. It was fun, and funny, but if you want to see a parody of classical ballet, see Hard Nut. Hard to believe.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 9:10 pm 
Ooh, yes, Hard Nut. We must organize a group. I'll start a new thread.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 12:01 pm 

I was very impressed by Hubbard Street's versatility, and I really enjoyed Sechs Tanze. I am a huge fan of Jiri Kylian, but I must admit that in this piece I felt that the costumes and props masked any subtle characterization the dancers could bring to the piece.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 1999 1:19 pm 

ErikaT, is the fault of Hubbard Street? What are Kylian's other works like?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 5:15 pm 

hi all-<BR>Jiri kylian was trained in ballet and graham technique in Europe, so his work is a blending of the two. He is one of my favorite choreographers- "no sleep till dawn of day" which i saw in Seattle with former ABT principal Martine van Hamel and kylian's wife Sabina Kupferberg--great. Also good is "Stomping Ground" about Kylian's research of aboriginal dances from Australia-highly recommended.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 1999 6:58 pm 

trina, I found Sechs Tanze wonderfully witty and humorous. What a concept! Create a classical work in "period" costumes, except put the dancers in "period" underwear! Are all his works witty? Or does he create dark works as well?<P>ErikaT, what did you think of Hubbard Street dancing this work? Was this work originally set on a ballet company? I am really curious if they dance it differently.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 1999 11:02 am 

HI!<BR>I'm intrigued that Hubbard Street did a Jiri Kylian piece. I always think of them as a being a jazz company, but of course they a Twyla piece a few years ago. Anybody know who is going to replace Lou Conte? Where is he going to go? I heard he ran a very "tight ship" at Hubbard STreet--interseting to see what will happen next?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 1999 5:34 pm 

I don't think they've found a replacement for Lou Conte. I think there is a "position available" ad on their web site!<P>He said he's leaving because he needs a break. He doesn't know what he wants to do yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 1999 6:37 pm 

Yeah, it was interesting that Hubbard did that Kylian piece. Apparently, they'll be another next season. This makes it the second time I've seen a modern dance company do a ballet work (Or is Sechs Tanze not considered ballet?), with the other being Limon's production of Tudor very dark Dark Elegies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 1999 8:32 pm 

Here is the announcement from Hubbard's site: <BR> <A HREF="http://www.hubbardstreetdance.com/news.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hubbardstreetdance.com/news.htm</A> <P>A quote from the last line: A complete job description will be available from Executive Director Gail Kalver, (312) 850-9744.<BR>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 1999 10:42 am 

Azlan-you saw Dark Elegies (Tudor) performed by Limon! I love Tudor,and am fascinated that Limon company did this piece. HOw was it? It seems liket you see an incredible amount of dance-lucky you! Does it come to your city or do you travel a lot to see all of this choreography?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 1999 1:59 pm 

It is difficult to over-estimate the importance of Kylian in European contemporary dance. There are two primary aspects to his stellar reputation. Firstly his body of choreography and secondly the collection of companies that make up Nederlands Dans Theater.<P>Kylian's work is performed not only by his own NDT, but also by many companies throughout Europe, including the UKs Rambert Dance Company. His 'Symphony of Psalms' was seen recently in London and I thought was a glorious piece of large-scale choreography.<P>His company, NDT set the standards in Europe for performance standards and also for the depth of the repertoire, with Kylian, von Manen, English newcomer Paul Lightfoot and previous proteges such as Nacho Duato. The dancers are stunning and the works performed with a consistency that is almost scary. In some ways, the performances that I have enjoyed the most have been by NDT2, the Under-25 company, where individualism has perhaps a little more scope than in the main company. 'Stamping Ground' by NDT2 was one of the highlights of the London dance season a few years ago. I haven't seen NDT3, the 'seniors' company, but they have received rave reviews for their expressive and innovative appraoch to dance.<P>Here are a few reviews of various NDT performances over the past year and a recent inteview:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/99/06/16/timartdan02001.html?1376249" TARGET=_blank>http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/99/06/16/timartdan02001.html?1376249</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.telegraph.co.uk:80/et?ac=000148269364269" TARGET=_blank>http://www.telegraph.co.uk:80/et?ac=000148269364269</A> <BR>&rtmo=VZxP5P1x&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/99/6/4/btneth04.html<BR> <A HREF="http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/99/06/06/sticuldnc02001.html?1376249" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/99/06/06/sticuldnc02001.html?1376249</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited 11-28-1999).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 1999 8:09 pm 

trina,<P>I saw Limon do Dark Elegies in San Jose. They have an annual residency and a presence in San Jose. They spearhead the San Jose Dance Festival. I wrote one of my "dancelogues" on it in the thread "San Jose Dance Festival." I liked it a lot. They didn't dance en-pointe of course.<P>There's plenty of dance in the Bay Area but I do travel also. What can I say? I am a dance nut.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 1999 5:45 pm 

I know Hubbard Street, though a 'jazz' company, has recently started doing 'ballet,' such as Sechs Tanze. They've also done Duato and a few others I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.<P>Stuart, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens will be performing Symphony of Psalms this season, and I think they are the first North American company to be given it. I've seen it on video,and can't wait to see it live.<P>To expand a bit, one of the reasons Kylian is considered one of the top choreographers world wide, is because, though he does have a style, his work is very diverse. He draws from different backgrounds, concepts, and ideas to create his pieces, which makes his pieces diverse as well.<P>pidge