public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gill Clarke (died Nov 15, 2011)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:37 am 

Gill Clarke, co-director of Independent Dance and founding member of Siobhan Davies Dance, died in the evening of November 15th.

Gill, who studied English and Education at York University, was well-known and widely respected an Independent Dance Artist performer, teacher, choreographer/director and advocate for the art form in all its guises. As a freelance performer she has worked with other choreographers and companies including Janet Smith, Rosemary Butcher, Rosemary Lee. She was a recipient of a London Dance and Performance Award.

Most recently, Gill was a leading figure in establishing a new MA in Creative Practice for 2010 at Trinity Laban, a programme designed specifically with professional and mid-career dance artists in mind, and that provides opportunities for professional dance artists to engage in the further development of their artistic and embodied practice and research.

Siobhan Davies says, "She was simply a really fine person and I have lost a great friend who knew me well. I shall miss her terribly but her understanding was that we would all have a little of her within us and she hoped that we would evolve and in different ways carry that part of her along. She was typically modest imagining it was only a small part, I know how much of her is embedded in me and that will continuously give me energy and questions.

"Gill loved dance with an intelligent passion. She intuitively appreciated that there is a knowing in our bodies that too often we are not in touch with. Her lifelong work as a performer, teacher and researcher was to reveal the mindful intelligence of the moving body and what that means to all of us as people, our relationship with others and our place in the world.

"She is irreplaceable, but she prepared us all. Fiona Millward at Independent Dance will continue with its extraordinary program and there are many others in place who will carry on and grow through Gill's spirit and enquiries."

Independent Dance has already received a number of beautiful messages, and are considering the best place for them to be held and shared. If anyone would like to share their own thoughts, memories, or images of Gill, they should be e-mailed to: gillclarke@independentdance.co.uk.

Profile E-mail