public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 33 Fainting Spells
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2000 7:53 am 

Here is a preview piece on 33 Fainting Spells, a Seattle-based modern company, opening a short run at the Moore Theatre on November 10-11:<BR> <A HREF="http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis/web/vortex/display?slug=para05&date=20001105&query=33+Fainting+Spells" TARGET=_blank>http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin /texis/web/vortex/display?slug=para05&date=20001105&query=33+Fainting+Spells</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by Francis Timlin (edited November 06, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 33 Fainting Spells
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2000 9:06 am 

I saw this group a couple of years ago--they were quite good. I can't remember the name of the piece, but it was about three sisters (friends?) who were isolated somewhere together, apparently during wartime. Echoes of Anne Frank, to my mind anyway...Well, it was very well done; anybody know the name of this older rep work?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 11:35 am 

Here is the P-I review of this past weekend's performance: <A HREF="http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/classical/spellsq.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/classical/spellsq.shtml</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 11:59 am 

I saw 33 Fainting Spells perform "Maria the Storm Cloud," a full-length work for the two founders (both last name Hansen, no relation) plus a guest dancer, three years ago. I thought it was outstanding. Very literary, a lot of intriguing metaphorical threads dovetailing towards the end. The movement a bit like DV8. A few in the So. Cal crowd basically said "this has been done before." But I disagreed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 12:48 pm 

Hi Belinda! In case you or anyone else is interested, we have a topic on the most recent DV8 production plus a link to their website.
http://forum.criticaldance.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000194

I saw an extract of their 'Strange Fish' today, which made me want to find the video and watch it all.

<small>[ 08-08-2002, 08:59: Message edited by: Marie ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 10:39 pm 

belinda, why did the california crowd think "this has been done before"<P>did they think the ideas were not new

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 9:22 am 

Well, it's interesting--the "done before" comment came from a few university dance faculty members who sounded jaded. Most audinece members applauded the performance rather loudly. The "done before" comment--something about "we were really expecting something new, pedestrian movement is old hat, dance theater is old hat." Of course, it's hard to tell what would qualify as "new" to some viewers--and isn't innovation in and of itself overrated? <P>I have a copy of "Maria" on tape and feel that it holds up. Some memorable sections: the opening in which three women stand naked behind cardboard cut-outs of clouds, milling akwardly like convention attendees, sheepishly writing anonymous smiley faces onto stick-on name tags. Later, an inebriated-looking dance with barstools, each woman winking pathetically at invisible flirtatious targets. Still later, a trio with coffee cups and umbrellas. Very little speaking in this productions. Has anyone else out there seen 33 Fainting Spells? Chime in!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 11:14 am 

Yes, I saw them do "Sorrow's Sister" a few years ago in Seattle. Thought it was quite good...they used heavy, clunky shoes almost like "clog dancing:" to stamp out rhythms which emphasized the drama (sensed it was about a group or family isolated during wartime: it had an "Anne Frank" feel to it). It had only three dancers-the two "hansons" and Peggy Piacenza. The movement was not graceful, but rather kind of "spiky" and angular --one sensed they were supposed to be children or young teens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 9:48 pm 

I finally read this article and had to laugh at this:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The performers in 33 Fainting Spells have always worn signature orthopedic, old-lady, black shoes. This time out, they wear the same shoes, but now in white...<P>Lighting designer Lara Wilder had to adjust her palette because of the difference in the reflective quality of the white shoes...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It's amazing how adaptable a lighting designer has to be, huh, Babs and Salzberg?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2001 7:07 am 

From the Chicago Tribune:<P><B>unique interpretation of summer</B><P>By Richard Christiansen <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You might suspect that any program titled "September September," devised by a dance group calling itself "33 Fainting Spells," is not going to be in the classic mode. And you would be right. <BR>The 70-minute dance/theater piece devised by this quartet from Seattle and being presented this weekend in the Dance Center of Columbia College, is sometimes incomprehensible, but always enjoyable and frequently fascinating in the skill with which it is performed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://metromix.com/top/1,1419,M-Metromix-CriticsReviews-X!ArticleDetail-11948,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B>MORE...</B></A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 12, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:23 am 

A review from the Village Voice on this company's new show.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Butts and Doughnuts in the Zone <BR>Dirty Dancing<BR>by Brangien Davis<P><BR>Dirty Work, 33 Fainting Spells' latest production, opens Thursday for an extended run at the Performing Garage. Set and costume designer Nina Moser has likened her task to that of organizing an ashtray. Dayna Hanson and Gaelen Hanson, founders and co-directors of the Seattle-based dance theater company, find the comparison entirely apt. Their piece carefully arranges the detritus of performance and everyday life to craft a collage that is by turns hilarious, cringe-inducing, and mesmerizing. "You may not find beauty in an organized ashtray," Dayna explains, "but there is order in the act."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0228/davis2.php" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:05 am 

Elizabeth Zimmer in the Village Voice:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Seattle's 33 Fainting Spells, whose Dirty Work clutters the Performing Garage through July 21, are three women who refuse to commit themselves to coherent narrative.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0229/footnotes.php target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:29 am 

A review of 33 Fainting Spells' performance of a work in progress at Seattle's Velocity Dance Center last weekend, by Mary Murfin Bayley in the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/135054888_fainting23.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:18 pm 

33 fainting spells
one of my favorite companies
some of the freshest stuff out
for sure
eager to see their new work collaborating with the wooster group folks....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:18 pm 

In the Seattle Times, Mary Murfin Bayley interviews Dayna and Gaelen Hanson of 33 Fainting Spells on their show, "Our Little Sunbeam" at On the Boards in Seattle, May 13-16, 2004:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2001922928_fainting09.html

Profile E-mail