CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Liss Fain & related 'dance/tech'
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:29 pm 

Since this thread is "...& related 'dance/tech'" I might mention the multimedia elements incorporated into the White Oak Project's "PastForward". Though there were no Internet feeds there was fairly extensive use of video projections. Since the program was performed in a fairly small space projections were obviously not just so the people in the back could see, a la rock shows, so it was clear they were part of the art at hand.<P>While interesting, the films (sometimes live) weren't especially distracting, and frequently provided a simple yet clever view of something I otherwise couldn't have seen.<P>What was kind of interesting is that most of the pieces performed were originally created some time ago. In a way, sometimes it seemed the videography was like a magnifying glass you might hold up to something you were studying.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 7:10 am 

Well, here is treat, a photo of Philein Wang in "Quarry":<P><BR> Image <p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 18, 2000).]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 7:16 am 

I want to point out that Quarry was an EXPERIMENT in combining two different art forms--sculpture, which is fixed and concrete; and dance which is fluid. Now that it is over, I feel that the collaboration was only partially successful. Trying to put two strong and different elements on an equal plane in performance was dertrimental to experiencing either one in the case of Quarry. If I attempt something like this in the future, I will use this experience as a reference for discussing how a colllaboration of this kind needs to develop. In Sojourn at Alexandria, I used the performance experiences from 1999 to determine what sorts of movement and comera angels worked best and then worked with that information to make this years' images very strong. <BR>In addition to the negative and nasty reviews in the Chronicle and the Examiner, I would appreciate your posting the review in the SJ Mercury News by Anita Amerrazwani. I think she was very fair-minded in her assessment and gave me credit for conceiving and attempting this project. I think that there is exciting potential in live streaming as part of a performance,and Quarry was the beginning of a long term investigation.<BR>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 8:15 am 

Liss, ask and you shall receive (for some reason this review wasn't available online earlier):<P><BR><B><A HREF="http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/eye/docs/fain22.htm" TARGET=_blank>Internet enhances dance piece</A></B><BR>By Anita Amirrezvani, San Jose Mercury News<P><BR><B><A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/reviews/lissfain-quarry.html" TARGET=_blank>Liss Fain Dance's 'Quarry'</A></B><BR>Karen Drozda, criticaldance.com