public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kaleidoscope Dance Company
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 5:13 am 

Quote:
<b>The joy of movement: Kaleidoscope marks 20 years of teaching vocabulary of dance</B>

Pam Sitt, Seattle Times

The review in The New York Times said it best, Jan Corriston says.

It read, "(The) dancers revel in the sensation of moving different ways." One of those dancers was Corriston's son, Ryan, who now performs with the New York-based Tiffany Mills Company.

But it was Seattle's Kaleidoscope Dance Company, a modern-dance group for boys and girls, that gave Ryan his love of movement, his mother says.

<B>More</B>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kaleidoscope Dance Company
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 5:50 am 

HI all!!! I am honored to have one of my pieces "Yanomami/Brazil" in this Kaleidescope 20th Anniversary concert!!!!. ....dumb question: there was an EXCELLENT photo accompanying this article...of my piece!! Waaaaa! Typically, photos are not included in these web articles (I've noticed this from NY Times as well). Is this due to copryright issues?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 6:44 am 

Trina - many times when I paste in links from the New York Times, there is an accompanying picture. However, I have been told that if the picture is taken by a New York Times photographer - and there is a copyright issue involved, I am not to paste them in. So this might be what is happening in this case.<P>And congratulations on your dance work being included - that's really great!!<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited May 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 6:54 am 

The Kaleidescope concert last night was just awesome!! Twenty years of dancing!!!: 112 choreographers over the years, five international tours, 135 dancers, and a special proclamation in the evening's program from Governor Gary Locke, naming May 11 "Kaleidescope Dance Company Day". What an achievement for Director Anne Green Gilbert and her young dancers (this is a company for young people ages 8-18!!)!!!! The most exciting piece for me was a group improv with the "alumni" (who are now adults)dancers (some of whom are dancing professionally, others contributing in other fields: one is a software designer at Microsoft!!)who returned for the event. What a "ripple" effect the ideas and efforts of one person-Director Anne Gilbert- (then joined with the support and energy of the dancers board and community) can create!! Congrats to allllll!!!!!!!!<P>[This message has been edited by trina (edited May 13, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited May 13, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 7:21 am 

And, Trina, how was your piece performed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 8:01 am 

The archived files accessible through "nwsource" never include the photographs. I always assumed that this was to make them more "printer friendly." But perhaps copyright issues regarding the photographs are the controlling issue. And yes, Trina, how was your piece performed? We presented Kaleidoscope on a program at the Chehalis Ballet Center teachers' seminar...ooh, 7 or 8 years ago...as an example of what could be accomplished with dancers 8-18. But I don't seem to be on their mailing list, so didn't hear about this program until it was too late to attend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 12:39 pm 

My piece went really well. It was entitled "Yanomami/Brazil". The dancers (15 total) portray an indigenous tribe in Brazil who have recently received notriety due to their being forced from their land due to mining and clear-cutting in the rainforest there. It's kind of a mature topic for the kids many of whom were only 8-9 yrs. old...the ages ranged actually from 9-16. As I've found with kids though, they will usually "rise to the level" of your expectations. And they didn't disappoint me in this case. They were awesome...the audience was very receptive to the topic (all shows sold out!!). Music was by Mickey Hart...ex Grateful Dead guy who does a lot of world music collaborations now. I was pleased with the piece. It presents an important topic, and combines my interests in environmental issues and dance!!<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited May 14, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 12:45 pm 

For all who want more info. on Creative Dance Center, Kaleidescope Dance Company or Anne Green Gilbert, check out their website at <A HREF="http://www.creativedance.org" TARGET=_blank>www.creativedance.org</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:55 am 

Kaleidoscope is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2006 with a program at Broadway Performance Hall, May 12-14, 2006. In the Seattle Times, Judy Chia Hui Hsu talks with Anne Green Gilbert about surviving 25 years:

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:44 am 

In the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Philippa Kiraly profiles Kaleidoscope:

Seattle P-I

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:38 pm 

Anne Green Gilbert announces that she will be retiring at the end of the 2013-14 season. The last performance of the Kaleidoscope Dance Company with Gilbert as director will be May9-11, 2014 at Broadway Performance Hall at Seattle Central College. Former Pacific Northwest Ballet dancer Terry Goetz will be taking over the Creative Dance Center and Seattle Early Dance director Anna Mansbridge will be taking over Kaleidoscope. Michael Upchurch reports for the Seattle Times.

Seattle Times

Profile E-mail