public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FAMOUS PAINTER COLLABORATES WITH JENNI WREN'S SLANJAYVAH
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:27 am 

Distinguished artist David Cobley has given permission for Leeds based Slanjayvah Danza to use one of his paintings to promote their new work. Further Cobley said “I would love to work more closely with her and her dancers, and perhaps even base a whole exhibition around the resulting drawings and paintings."

JENNI Wren, Slanjayvah Artistic Director and choreographer will use "Into the Light" by David Cobley to promote her new work "Crazy Joanna", the second in a trilogy of works that make up triple bill "Mode: Sensation/Thought" to be premiered in the summer of 2010.

David Cobley is an award winning portrait and figure painter who works from a studio in Bath. His portrait commissions include HRH The Princess Royal, Dame Alicia Markova and President Assad of Syria. His portrait of Ken Dodd OBE was bought by the National Portrait Gallery for its permanent Collection, and he is currently working on a commission for the Gallery that is due to be unveiled in the New Year.

"I have been drawing and painting the figure all my life and am fascinated by the way human beings move and interact with one another.” said Cobley, "I love to see music, dance, and the visual arts working together to explore difficult issues, as well as celebrate the wider world,” he continued “so was delighted when Jenni asked me if she could use one of my paintings to publicise the work of Slanjayvah.”

“Crazy Jo”, the work “Into the Light” will be associated with, is a socially conscientious piece recounting the anguished escape of a woman trapped in abusive relationships. “A dance and film integration piece,” explained Wren, “following the tormented life of medieval Spanish Queen "Juana la Loca", through the backstreets of Buenos Aires at the birth of the Tango - to a neighbourhood near you.”