public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Company C Charles Anderson Recent Performance Walnut Creek
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:56 pm 

I recently saw a wonderful program in Walnut Creek CA that deserves the spotlight. Charles Anderson, artistic director of "Company C" grew up sleeping onstage with a mother--Zola Dishong (& a father) who danced with ABT. As a young adult he danced with NYC Ballet. His background and training shined in the most recent performance of his company at the Lesher Theater May 15, & 16. Charles chose a blended collection of choreographic material from top local and national choreographers. Top choreography only gets better with well trained dancers. The dancers of Company C were stunning, exotic, impressive, and well challenged with complex movements.
I saw the Friday night program, and at the last minute on Saturday night I found myself literally running to see it a second time at the last minute. I didn't want to miss it. I had to see it again!
Maybe you have to see it for yourself, so I would recommend that you catch their next performance whenever you can.
Starting with a "The Little Ballet" choreographed by none other than Twyla Tharp...orginally choreographed for Baryshnikov was a terrific opening act. Charles Anderson did a wonderful piece with music by Chet Baker called "You Don't Know What Love I" again beautifully danced and staged. Vespers by David Grenke and staged by Charles Anderson was a phenomenal duet in great part to the insanely beautiful dancing done by Gianna Davy & Mario Espinoza. "Dioscures" stunning, complex & complicated choreography by Nikolai Kabaniaev (formerly with Kirov Ballet) showed off the virtuoso technique (instilled in the dancers by Charles Anderson's daily coaching) in a way that was remarkable. The choreography starred the individual anatomy & musculature of the dancers in a new way. This subtle & complex piece pulled the audience into the music and movements like a master hypnotist might do.
There were 7 wonderful pieces in all. The evening ended with "Boink" choreographed by Val Caniparoli. It was a light hearted end to a perfect evening. Overall this was a riveting program that connected with the audience & where the dancers broke through the 4th wall. Using impressive & stunning execution of complex, complicated & subtle choreography. It was touching, moving, and made love to the audience. In short it was "out of this world" "mesmerizing" "hynotique", "daunting" & "mysterious". This theatrical performance made me envy a dancers life on stage like no other. Cheers to everyone who participated & made this such a wonderful evening for a visably impressed audience. Definitely a memorable "two" evenings! Like a fine glass of wine or a great novel you don't want it to end. Three weeks later, and I am still replaying it in my mind. Theatre definitely worth the ticket price!

Last edited by BalletRocks on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:15 pm 

Thanks for posting!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: You are welcome.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:19 am 

It has been a month since I saw this ballet, and I am still moved by this performance. Some top talent contributed, and innately in this company.