public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Videotapes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 7:09 pm 

there are some good-sounding 'new' videotapes advertised in Princeton Books new catalogue, out today, including works by paul taylor, jose limon, doris humphrey, martha graham and pilobolus. oh yes, and tango.<P>see them at <A HREF="http://www.dancehorizons.com/newvideos.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dancehorizons.com/newvideos.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited April 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Videotapes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 9:48 pm 

grace, as you say a lot of goodies there. I guess that folk need to remember that there are different TV/video systems, which means that US tapes do not work in the UK, unless you have a Universal video machine.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 28, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 4:42 pm 

This is a real find. Thank you. For a more comprehensive list, go to:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.dancehorizons.com/videos.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dancehorizons.com/videos.html</A> <P>Here is the list of subjects:<P>DANCE AND FITNESS INSTRUCTION <BR>ROUTINES <BR>ROUTINES/BOB RIZZO <BR>ROUTINES/CATHY ROE <BR>ROUTINES/HOCTOR <BR>ROUTINES/JANET ROSTON <BR>BALLET PERFORMANCE/DOCUMENTARY <BR>MODERN AND JAZZ DANCE PERFORMANCE/DOCUMENTARY <BR>HISTORICAL <BR>CULTURAL HERITAGE <BR>GENERAL <BR>THE BALANCHINE LIBRARY <BR>PATRICIA DICKINSON BALLET <BR>DAVID HOWARD BALLET INSTRUCTION <BR>THE DORIS HUMPHREY LEGACY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2000 5:35 pm 

and here is a NEW idea (new to me, anyway): a dance videotape TRADING POST!!!<P>it's at: <A HREF="http://space.tin.it/spettacolo/guiddona/tapetrading.html" TARGET=_blank>http://space.tin.it/spettacolo/guiddona/tapetrading.html</A> <P>and THIS is the longest single web page i have EVER seen. it is the site owner's OWN list of tapes s/he has available to 'trade':<P><A HREF="http://space.tin.it/spettacolo/guiddona/mylist.html" TARGET=_blank>http://space.tin.it/spettacolo/guiddona/mylist.html</A> <P>look around while you're there - not much in the site yet, apart from this; it's new ...<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited April 28, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2000 10:07 pm 

Oh, wow! A dance video ebay!<P>Azlan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 7:45 am 

I produce a LIVE monthly hour-long public access program "Dance O' Dance" in Olympia, WA.<BR>I'm always looking for background footage to inspire and enhance the amateurs in our studio.<BR>I'm also always looking for pro or semi-pro dancers to inspire the amateurs and make the background video obsolete.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 4:17 pm 

jb_dub, what kinds of programs do you produce? I am curious. Is it for local TV only? Are your programs available elsewhere?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 5:33 pm 

i'm curious, too, jb_dub (and also about your screen-name!)...<P>azlan: what is an ebay?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 7:08 pm 

<A HREF="http://www.ebay.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ebay.com</A> is an online auction house. Don't go there unless you intend to be addicted like Lucy, Cygnet and some others I know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2000 1:55 pm 

The show is currently only seen on public-access in Thurston County Washington. I originally intended that the first half hour would be 'prepared pieces' and the second 'freestyle'. To that end I've had a variety of dance styles showcased: balloon, belly, breaking, butoh, cajun, feather, line, swing, tap... etc.<BR>However, more often than not people just show up and move in any way appropriate to them. Therefore, I have spent a great deal of my time & energy watching the independent music charts and selecting what may be familiar and exciting.<BR>What about my user name? I have been looking at the older meanings of 'dub' lately. It goes back to 'strike' and 'touch' and 'name', but for me it started as a dub-ble entendre on audio/video 'dubbing' and the dub-ble U of my last name: Wright.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2000 8:22 pm 

jb_dub, you must do a lot of homework to make sure you get the results you want on tape. It seems like music can have a huge effect in motivating dancers.<P>Can you explain the background footage? Does this get projected in the background while you are videotaping?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 9:03 am 

Let me start by saying: I LOVE THIS BOARD! [I do have a criticism regarding its form but not its content!] I am so enthusiastic because I also frequent the punkrock.net message board [which I enjoy for its liveliness and all-topics-combined aesthetic], yet they aren't drawn together by Dance. I often joke that my show is not called "Band O' Band" or "Hit-Single O' Hit-Single", so I have often gone with the highly obscure MP3 or vinyl instead of the overplayed chart toppers. Although I very much enjoy it when the dancers are happily surprised with a more popular selection, I get a more pure and authentic movement from something fresh to their ears.<BR>Regarding the "background video": that's actually a mis-nomer, but I try to get away with calling it that. It would be in the BackGround if we used the blue-screen chroma-key effect - which has a multitude of problems... otherwise it's blended together with the studio cameras at varying degrees of saturation. I can also select a shaped portion of the video to insert... usually I use a circle. This is especially useful to hide the video watermarks from tv acquired footage (i.e. the Fox logo at the bottom right of the screen).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 4:30 pm 

jb_dub - slightly off-topic here, but could you email one of us moderators with your complaint about our 'form'?, OR post it wherever appropriate (maybe in About criticaldance.com)? feel free to start a new thread if the subject doesn't already exist somewhere...my curiosity's piqued, and we aim to be user-friendly...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2000 10:16 pm 

jb_dub, thanks for the response. Your work does sound truly fascinating. You must enjoy it a lot.<P>How do the rest of us get to see your work?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2000 8:05 am 

Unfortunately, videotapes don't grow on trees, nor do postal carriers work for skittles and beer. However, I'll dub for reviews, links, & submissions at cost or trade (let's haggle! don't you want to haggle?!).<BR> My critique of the board is that I don't need all the categories or archives. I'm happy to decide whether to read and reply based on topic title and timeliness. <BR> In as much as enjoy having my words live on, I doubt they should be considered deathless prose. If so, please contact me and remind me to save elsewhere or go ahead and publish them and send me a hard copy. Art is not Eternal. <BR> If I ever have kids I'll take steps to back up my videotapes and stash them in a vault somewhere. <BR> Ideally, the board will attract more users who will get to know each other well enough to ask for information that has expired. Also we will be more prone to explore topics besides those within our safety zone. Also also, I would like the HTML to be ON, so I can post pictures. It says that it is ON, but it's in a different color. experiment: Image Perhaps the UBB Code permits that, but I haven't seen a link to that Code, so I've avoided it. If it includes more than Image I'm interested. Anyway, not to ROCK the boat, but I base my model on the <A HREF="http://messages.punkrock.net">messages.punkrock.net</A> board on which the communication is fast and furious, and tho they don't restrict themselves to music on every post it binds them together like a good toe shoe.<BR>I'll put a copy of this over in the "appropriate" receptical.

Profile E-mail