public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Archival dance footage: Katherine Dunham
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:16 am 

As we continue to reflect as a community on the impact Ms. Dunham has had on modern dance and our lives, I begin to wonder how future generations of dancers will come to know her legacy. I’m sure many of you are aware of the Library of Congress’ archives of her work, but if you are not, you should certainly check them out (http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cocoon/ihas/html/ ... -home.html). On the site you can view archive footage as well as Dunham technique lessons.

Since at present we do not have a systematic program on the federal level to deal with dance documentation (although I know there are some wonderful organizations working on documenting dance nationally), each community is faced with the challenge of preserving its dance heritage. This leads me to the greater question of how can dancers and choreographers come to know the work of their predecessors?

Here are some things I’m wondering

* Are there initiatives for preserving dance in your community that are working well?
* How is the archived material made available to the community?
* Are there are any technology resources that you feel are well-suited for this?
* Do you know of any websites like the Library of Congress that have downloadable footage of performances or classes?

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:07 am 

in san francisco, we're lucky to have PALM, the performing arts library and museum. it's an independent non-profit which is dedicated to archival and preservation purposes. for a fee, they archive organizations' (such as SF Ballet) photos, videos, books, etc. they collect arts materials like newspaper clippings, other books, etc. you can also go in during public hours (appointments are recommended) and do research, watch videos, look at photos, etc. (sometimes you need written permission to view certain items). the catalog is available on line, and there are no check-out privledges.

Last edited by RaHir on Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:31 am 

Thanks for the info RaHir! I hadn't heard about this before. At one point we had a similar service here in Boston, but it is currently lying dormant due to lack of funding.