CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paufve Dance
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:09 pm 

A review from the SF Bay Guardian. I've worked with this company. Some nice dancers, but...

Quote:
Good machines
Randee Paufve's dances are almost too perfect.
By Rita Felciano
IF I WANTED to become a choreographer, I would go study with Randee Paufve. She creates good movement. She layers her material until everything fits together like an elaborate puzzle. She works with superb dancers and draws out distinct personalities. In her dances, solos always balance ensembles (her unisons are particularly effective), and expansive space complements tiny gestures.
more...

Post subject: Re: Randee Paufve at Dance Mission
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:14 pm 

But what? Rita Felciano and Allan Ulrich (voice of dance) critiqued various aspects of the show, but...both offered tremendously positive feedback as well. In Exhale plays again at UC Davis October 29-30 at the new Mondavi Studio Theater. See the link for tickets and information.

Mondavi Arts - Dancing on the Edge Series I[/URL]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:18 pm 

Link to Mondavi arts page:

http://www.mondaviarts.org/1results.lasso?-database=mondavi_events.fmp&-layout=event_detail&-response=1detail.lasso&-recordID=113&-search

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:25 pm 

Hmmm . . . I'm comfortable with LMC's "but." I've seen this company many times. Paufve has talent and experience, but the work that I've seen has been extremely uneven. I am glad to see them receive balanced reviews, and consider LMC's aside an equally balanced bit of commentary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:24 pm 

But why set up readers to assume the review is negative with a but...? Perhaps reviews should just be posted neutral if the poster of the review doesn't have anything concrete to say after having seen the show. Or perhaps, the poster of the review did not see the show and therefore wouldn't know whether (s)he even agrees with the reviewer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:50 pm 

annikka, opinions are very much encouraged in this forum, especially opinions about reviews. It's one way for the community to keep reviewers honest. Even a "but" is highly valued in this forum as it is a way the community can make people think instead of just blindly trusting the published review.

As such, we strongly discourage members from dissuading other members from stating their opinions.

However, an opinion can always be challenged and should be (in a courteous manner of course). In this particular case, a counter-opinion of the "but" would be much more meaningful than questioning the "but" itself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:12 pm 

Annika, to clarify, that but was my opinion. As was said above, the work tends to be very uneven and so is the dancing. Sometimes the dancers are not used to their fullest potential. Sometimes they are in over their heads. Depends on the piece. I didn't see this performance so I can't comment on this one specifically, but I know what I have seen in the past.

My "but..." was not a comment on the reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:03 pm 

Thanks for clarifying. I am not dissuading others to speak, but do speak. I was looking for more commentary, rather than less.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:32 pm 

Finally, about Paufve Dance and In Exhale. This was perhaps the strongest showing of Ms. Paufve's choreography to date. The cast was extremely well-rehearsed, the choreography diverse and packed with innovation and wit, and some of the performances were actually ground-breaking. I saw the show twice. The solo "In Exhale" was performed by former Trisha Brown Dance Company member Shelley Senter on Friday and Paufve Dance member Rebecca Johnson on Sunday. To see these too completely different movers -- Senter is the embodiment of release and fluid line, Johnson is a fiery isometrist (Did I just coin a term?) -- perform the same choreography (Paufve's best in the solo format) was astonishing.

I'm not in the business of writing full-length reviews, so I'll stop there.

I look forward to any response the members of the forum may have.

[Edited to comply with courtesy policy]

<small>[ 10-09-2002, 22:08: Message edited by: Admin ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:38 pm 

Um...isometrist? Could you elaborate please?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:13 am 

I've come in a little late but I'm still confused about the but... The review included by LMCtech to support the criticism is gushingly good. The fact that the forum is called 'Randee Paufve at Dance Mission' also confuses me as LMCtech didn't see Ms. Paufve's show at Dance Mission.

I've had the privilege of seeing Ms. Paufve's last concert, "In Exhale," as well as previous concerts. I always find her work thought provoking, deeply layered and fun to watch. An instance of this is her new work 'Seven.' On the surface, 'Seven' is about the seven deadly sins. However, my impression was that the sins were characterized by a family sitting down to a formal dinner. She really captured the complex and interwoven relationships that arise in any family. The presentation and the dancing were impeccable

The only unevenness I've seen in Ms. Paufve's work is theatrical support (venues, atmosphere) constrained, most likely, by financial limits.

Post subject: "The Big Squeeze"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:52 am 

Quote:
Paufve Dance in 'The Big Squeeze' at Joyce SoHo
by JENNIFER DUNNING for the New York Times

Ms. Paufve's choreography does not fit any of the stereotypes about laid-back California or hyper New York dance; my guess would have been Maine, given the spare look of the dances and bleak quality of some of the scores.

published: July 10, 2006
more...