public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Ballet Theatre 2014 Fall Season
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:28 am 

In the New York Times, Allan Kozinn previews the October 22 through November 2, 2014 Fall Season at the David H. Koch Theatre at Lincoln Center.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: American Ballet Theatre 2014 Fall Season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:45 pm 

Looks like a very good little season.

When I reviewed ABT's Spring 2014 Met Gala, in the context of discussing Jiri Kylian's duet, "Nuages," I wrote:

When Mr. Kylián’s work first appeared in New York in 1979 during a visit by Nederlands Dans Theater, I recall being swept away by the dynamic, inventive choreography in such
pieces as “Sinfonietta”, “Symphony of Psalms”, and “Symphony in D”, as if by a gust of invigorating, fresh air. New York was quickly abuzz with his electrifying choreography and the
company of youthful and engaging dancers. The company returned a few years later with new Kylián pieces, and a few years thereafter, ABT mounted “Sinfonietta” itself to
considerable acclaim. But it had been a long time since I’d seen any new piece by him, or any piece that I’d seen previously, for that matter – a revival of “Sinfonietta” by ABT is long
overdue.

And kudos to New York Theater Ballet. Again. They revive a ballet in ABT's rep that ABT hasn't done in ages, and then ABT does it. A couple of years ago it was "The Moor's Pavane." This past spring it's "Jardin Aux Lilas." In the review of that NYTB performance, I wrote:

If there is one Tudor ballet with universal appeal, it is “Jardin Aux Lilas”. First choreographed in 1936, it entered the ABT repertoire in 1940, where it used to be a staple, but it
has been infrequently scheduled in recent seasons. That’s unfortunate – it deserves to be seen more than once every six or so years

I'd like to think that someone at ABT reads what I write, but the fall season's schedule has probably been in the works for some time. Regardless...and in case anyone in a position to do something about it sees this, over three years ago I wrote a 'wish list' of ballet's I'd like to see ABT revive, or mount. "The Moor's Pavane" and "Sinfonietta" were on it. [As was - a new ballet based on "The Tempest."] It also included, among others, the return of Cranko's "The Taming of the Shrew," Macmillan's "Mayerling," "Rodeo," Feld's "Intermezzo" or "Harbinger," and new ballets based on "Love in the Time of Cholera" (Marcelo Gomes doing Javier Bardem) and "Pan's Labyrinth". Just a reminder...

Profile E-mail