public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suzanne Farrell Ballet 2012
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:33 pm 

The Suzanne Farrell Ballet performs in Burlington, Vermont on February 24, 2012. Megan James interviews Suzanne Farrell for Seven Days.

Seven Days

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Suzanne Farrell Ballet 2012
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:43 am 

Thanks, Francis.

Suzanne Farrell says many interesting things here about working with George Balanchine. Since one of her projects is to 'retrieve forgotten' Balanchine works, sometimes having to fill in lost parts herself (as she has stated) it is interesting to wonder about how much input she had in the original creation of these works.

"When Mr. B started working on a ballet for me, there would be no one in the room except Gordon Boelzner at the piano, George and myself. He would show me a little something and I would try to imitate or shape or decode what he indicated.

Choreography is not born as choreography; it grows out of a suggestion and then it gets shaped into choreography. Rarely would he say, “That’s not what I wanted.” Our collaboration was very special and filled with trust. He would put the ball in my court and allow me to run with it...."

And a thought about the ballet process in general.

"Before videos/DVDs, it [a ballet] was passed on by the people who first danced it. They had firsthand knowledge. Not just of the steps but of the history. That fragile essence gets lost and is not easily replaced. Essence has to be replaced by essence, not technique or something else."

http://www.7dvt.com/2012ballet-legend-s ... ine-legacy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:52 pm 

The Suzanne Farrell Ballet performed at the "Seven Days of Opening Nights" arts festival in Tallahassee, Florida on Thursday, February 16, 2012. Kati Schardl reviews the performance for the Tallahassee Democrat.

Tallahassee Democrat

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:15 pm 

In the Washington Post, Sarah Kaufman reviews the Wednesday, November 7, 2012 performance at the Kennedy Center's Eisenhower Theatre.

Washington Post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 pm 

Alastair Macaulay reviews the November 2012 performances at the Kennedy Center for the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail