public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chicago Repertory Ballet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:32 pm 

In the Chicago Tribune, Sid Smith reviews the debut of Wade Schaaf's new company at the Ruth Page Center for the Arts.

Chicago Tribune

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Chicago Repertory Ballet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:20 am 

I had the privilege of attending Chicago Repertory Ballet's premier performance on Friday, 21 September. I agree with much of Sid Smith’s comments, but here are a few thoughts of my own about the mixed bill (in order of performance).

“Très Hip: A Love Story” is something one would expect to see performed on Broadway, not by a ballet company, contemporary or otherwise. The saving grace was a wonderful duet by Lizzie MacKenzie and Matthew Wenckowski.

“La Vie En Rose” is a beautiful pas de deux that was danced by Danielle Scanlon and Tony Suhadoinik to the music of Edith Piaf.

“Lent Et Douloureux” is slow (“lent”); however, as my French guest pointed out, there was no painful (“douloureux”). The mirror image dancing between the two female dancers was excellent.

“Peoplescape: Juxtaposition” was a well conceived, well danced, and extremely intense contemporary dance.

“Of Alice” is a beautiful tribute to the choreographer’s grandmother and grandfather in their younger years. Danielle Scanlon’s solo dance was beautiful.

“Its Not Enough to Close Your Eyes” is an interesting duet that involves one male and one female dancer dancing around a single light on stage shining upward from the stage on an otherwise dark stage.

“Shostakovich Piano Concerto.” It wasn’t until this finale that he dancers were given the opportunity to unfurl their wings and really show off their stuff.

Profile E-mail