public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Ballet Theatre at City Center (November 2011)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:51 am 

Patricia Cohen reports on ABT's November 8-13, 2011 performances at City Center in the New York Times.

NY Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: American Ballet Theatre at City Center (November 2011)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:43 pm 

ABT's male principal problem has just taken a turn for the worse. David Hallberg has been 'poached' by the Bolshoi!

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... olshoi/?hp

I will be interested to see how long he lasts in Moscow - it's certainly a great opportunity, but it's a long way from home and a very different culture. And even when someone else is doing all the immigrations paperwork and such, it can get eventually get very tiring to be the foreigner and to have constant limitations.

While the article does indicate that he will continue to dance with ABT for "limited" periods, this sounds like quite a headache. Beloserkovsky is dancing very little, Stiefel (whether he or ABT will admit it) is not going to be around much at all if he's going to be running a Kiwi ballet company, Corella is barely present, Bolle is really just a guest principal (and seems willing to ditch ABT for other commitments). That leaves Cornejo (when healthy), Gomes and the yet-unfinished Cory Stearns as the only full time principals. And only Gomes as able to partner the full range of ballerina heights.

I am very curious to see if this will spur ABT on to start luring talent from other companies...

Kate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:07 pm 

ABT's casting for the November 2011 City Center season.

City Center casting

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:58 am 

Pia Catton previews the November 8-13, 2011 season at City Center for the Wall Street Journal.

Wall Street Journal

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:49 pm 

Robert Johnson attended one of the November 5-6 performances at Annandale-on-Hudson that serve as an "out of town" preview of the City Center season. He reviews the performance for the New Jersey Star-Ledger.

NJ Star-Ledger

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:56 pm 

Marina Harss reviews the Tuesday, November 8 opening night performance at City Center for The Faster Times.

Faster Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:37 pm 

Leigh Witchel reviews the Tuesday, November 8, 2011 performance for the New York Post.

NY Post

Alastair Macaulay reviews the same program for the New York Times.

NY Times

Apollinaire Scherr reviews the same program for the Financial Times.

Financial Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:34 pm 

Alastair Macaulay reviews the Wednesday, November 9, 2011 program for the New York Times.

NY Times

Marina Harss reviews the November 9 and 10 programs for The Faster Times.

Faster Times

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:30 pm 

American Ballet Theatre
City Center
New York, New York

November 11, 2011
“Black Tuesday,” “Private Light,” “In the Upper Room”
November 12, 2011
“Duets,” “The Garden of Villandry,” “Seven Sonatas,” “In the Upper Room”

There were at least four significant developments at the two performances of American Ballet Theatre that I was able to see during ABT’s brief fall season at City Center. First, at both performances, the house was nearly sold out. So much for rep programs being a tough sell. Second, I saw superb performances by soloists who should be principals and corps dancers who should be soloists. Third, I saw “In the Upper Room.” Twice. A classic work of art regardless of who dances it; a masterpiece that takes your breath away when it’s danced well. Which it was. And fourth, I saw the new ballet created by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie’s discovery, Demis Volpi, and will never have to see it again.

More on “Private Light” later (and it wasn’t all bad – it included a breakout performance and a promising debut); but first the good stuff.

Simply put, ABT’s Saturday evening program was extraordinary. Not only was there wonderful choreography and superb dancing, the audience was treated to fine examples of four completely different choreographic styles. Starting from the end and working back to the beginning serves to put front and center the most miraculous piece of them all.

There are many competitors for the title of best work of contemporary choreography, but “In the Upper Room,” a little bit of heaven on stage created by Twyla Tharp in 1986 to a composition of the same name by Philip Glass, is certainly among them. And for pure exhilaration, it has no peer.

The first time I saw a Twyla Tharp piece, which also happened to be at City Center, was in 1973. “Deuce Coupe,” which was commissioned by Robert Joffrey for the Joffrey Ballet, was recognized as the first ‘cross-over’ dance – combining elements of ballet and contemporary dance. For a viewer beginning to get acquainted with dance as I was, the category into which it fit didn’t matter nearly as much as the creativity, intelligence, and fresh energy evident on stage. “Deuce Coupe” was followed shortly thereafter by “As Time Goes By,” and I was thoroughly hooked on Tharp. “Push Comes to Shove,” which shocked, perplexed, and then enchanted the ABT opening night audience, which included me, was just icing on the cake. I can still see the bowlers flying and hear the audience cheering.

But “In the Upper Room” is in another galaxy. It is non-stop nearly incorporeal bodies in space moving in and out of clouds in heaven’s ante-room, and one of those rare plotless pieces that looks better and choreographically richer upon repeat viewings. While purists may complain that (with at least one exception) the performance wasn’t ‘pure’ Tharp, and looked less crisp than it should have (with many exceptions), it was no less astonishing, mesmerizing, and invigorating than it always is. To this viewer, it was the best rendering of “In the Upper Room” that I’ve seen in a very long time (both performances I saw had identical casts).

The piece has been performed by many companies since its 1986 premiere, and familiarity with it is presumed. Familiarity with the dancers, however, is not: with two exceptions – Herman Cornejo and Cory Stearns – all were soloists or members of the corps. I can’t mention them all, but I’ll highlight a few.

Sarah Lane is in a groove. Based on her performance in this piece (as the ‘lead’ girl in red toe shoes) and in “Seven Sonatas,” which preceded it in the evening’s program, Ms. Lane is dancing stronger than ever, and with an increasing display of self-assurance. [As of this writing, there is one uncast Juliet for ABT’s spring season at the Met (and at least one other that should be reconsidered). The role should be hers.] Luciana Paris and Simone Messmer led what I call the ‘pajama bottom/sneaker’ pair superbly, with Ms. Messmer a particular revelation. Not only did Ms. Messmer dance the style to perfection, she even looked like Ms. Tharp.

But the most astonishing pair of dancers in what was a superb performance by all involved were Nicole Graniero and Skylar Brandt. As the sprites in red toe shoes who dance virtually in tandem throughout the piece, the two of them lit up the stage wherever and whenever they were on it – which seemed to be everywhere all the time. I expected Ms. Graniero, a tiny bundle of energy, to be as good as she was – after all, she’s been in the ABT corps all of four years. But Ms. Brandt was just elevated to the corps last year. Perhaps I shouldn’t have been so surprised (as I recall, I saw her as one of the four cygnets in several “Swan Lake” performances last season), but seeing someone so young dance with such a combination of speed, control, and precision was breathtaking.

“Seven Sonatas,” which I’ve reviewed previously, is another gem from Alexei Ratmansky. I recall adoring it at its first Met performance in 2010; I find it ever more delightful now. – it is as pure as porcelain. Choreographed to seven keyboard sonatas by Scarlatti, the piece features three pairs of dancers who take turns dancing with each other, by themselves, and in trios. And as good as the original cast was, I liked this cast a bit better, perhaps because of the added warmth and youth. Maria Riccetto, partnered by Blaine Hoven, Ms. Lane with Joseph Philips, and Christine Shevchenko with Jared Mathews, were each superb.

Going from “Duets,” which opened the evening, to “Garden of Villandry,” the second piece, was stylistic culture shock. “Duets” is one of Merce Cunningham’s most accessible works. It is stark and simple, with bodies moving like animated color blocks. In that sense it’s similar to other Cunningham pieces I’ve seen. But where other such pieces appeared to this viewer to be relatively ascetic studies of bodies in semi-static motion where the emphasis is on the shapes and forms of bodies moving or posing in space, here there is a relationship of sorts within each duet, in a real sense rather than merely by the fact that the dancers share the stage and occasionally interact. The difference makes “Duets” more than an academic exercise.

“Duets” has been performed by many companies, so again, familiarity with the piece is presumed. Each of the six duets has its own particularly choreographic personality, and each pair (Gillian Murphy and Cory Stearns, Paloma Herrera and Eric Tamm, Melanie Hamrick and Daniel Mantei, Xiomara Reyes and Arron Scott, Sarah Smith and Daniil Simkin, and Isabella Boylston and Craig Salstein) executed their roles skillfully. I found Ms. Herrera and Mr. Tamm, and Ms. Boylston and Mr. Salstein, to be particularly outstanding in their execution. But most memorable, to this viewer, was Ms. Smith, who lent a pleasantly surprising vibrancy and individuality to her role.

Proceeding from “Duets” to “The Garden of Villandry” is like traveling from a barren (albeit colorful) desert to a hothouse. A brief pas de trois choreographed by Martha Clarke in 1979, “The Garden of Villandry” is more of a serious curiosity. That is, it’s too insignificant to be memorable, but too memorable to be insignificant. The piece represents a snapshot in time in a particularly lush, sensuous, and florid relationship that takes place in a particularly lush, sensuous, and florid post-Renaissance garden, with both the flowers and the female lead in heat. The scent of pollen and perfume saturates the stage.

[The Gardens of the Chateau de Villandry, completed by Jean le Breton in 1536 and enjoyed at least into the early 19th Century (and then ‘recreated’ in the early 20th Century), are very real, and notoriously erotic. The gardens were also, apparently, intentionally designed not only to look luxuriant and romantic, but to encourage private encounters. Included within the garden is an area called the Garden of Love, which itself contains symbolic representations of different levels of love: Tender Love; Passionate Love, Fickle Love, etc.]

Veronika Part is a wonderful dancer in any setting, but she’s particularly good in period pieces in period costume. She is every inch to the manor born. Here, she’s a nameless aristocratic girl who just wants to have fun – she has slipped away from whatever she was doing to share a lustful dalliance…with two gentlemen. The girl can’t make up her mind, and swings (literally) from one man to another and back. Gennadi Savaliev and Roddy Doble play the two gentlemen with understated insouciance. If it works for her, it works for them. They dance a bit, play a bit, and the choreography enhances the romantic encounter without getting in the way. [One maneuver, which leads to the two men swinging Ms. Part on their arms as if she were sitting on a swing, is particularly delightful to watch through its development and execution.] And then the piece ends almost as soon as it starts, when Ms. Part suddenly notices that their private encounter is very public. The piece is fluff, but it’s fun fluff, and anything with Ms. Part in it is a step above.

I’ll save a discussion of Paul Taylor’s “Black Tuesday” for another time. My initial take (I had not previously seen it) is that it’s a less successful piece than “Company B,” which it stylistically resembles, and doesn’t pack the same wallop. [On the other hand, the final image, in darkness, with the characters’ hands outstretched and illuminated, begging for money, is classic.] But, whether it’s considered great Taylor or less-than-great Taylor, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge Ms. Graniero, Mr. Cornejo, and most significantly Ms. Messmer. For this viewer, Ms. Messmer’s performances in this piece and “In the Upper Room” took her to an extraordinary level. I did not previously look forward in particular to her performances; I will now.

What I will have no desire to look forward to is the possibility of ever seeing “Private Light” a second time.

I’m often disappointed with the quality of highly anticipated new works; but I rarely get angry. “Private Light” made me angry. Not because it was misogynistic trash, which seemed to be the way many in the audience reacted to it. I’m not sure it’s misogynistic (just outrageously insensitive), and I don’t think it’s all trash. And the choreography isn’t incompetent. In fact, in certain phrases in certain scenes, the choreography is intelligent and inventive. But such successes are few and far between, and anything good about “Private Light” is buried in the ruins of the choreographer’s self-indulgence.

The piece opens with dancers standing and kissing each other. Not pecks on the cheek, but kissing. [It appeared to me that most were not actually kissing each other, but that minor detail would have been lost on anyone watching the stage from a center seat, or from any distance.] It was downhill from there, as the girls clearly became objects to be manipulated and played with. It was not innocent sexual contact; it was the boys’ fantasy of what it would be like if they shared their gym locker room with beautiful dolls (literally), or if the dance-class dressing room was co-ed and populated by compliant bun-heads. [The dance clearly is just about the boys – for example, in the opening ‘kissing’ scene, you see the boys manipulating the girls, but the girls’ backs are to the audience -- the girls are just along for the ride.]

It appeared, at times, that Mr. Volpi was winking as he choreographed this. It was so obvious that the girls were the boys’ play-dolls whose only purpose was to be manipulated and used that it all had to be tongue-in-cheek. Indeed, after the initial ‘scene,’ it seemed that Mr. Volpi was suggesting that the piece isn’t supposed to be ‘real’ – it was just a dance about boys’ fantasies and/or budding sexual identity and experimentation, and not to be taken seriously. But then the piece proceeds to take itself seriously.

Since seeing “Private Light,” I’ve been trying to understand why this piece struck such a nerve. Sexuality in dance is not unusual. In a physical art form with perfect bodies it goes with the territory. But without the benefit of a pre-doctoral thesis survey, the sexuality usually on stage is a product of passion, or the consequence of character, or descriptive of a relationship. From “Manon,” to “Romeo and Juliet,” to Eliot Feld’s “The Consort,” to “Bugaku,” to various and sundry versions of “The Rite of Spring,” the sexual intent is clear, it fits, and it draws the audience in. Here, however, the dancers are themselves: sex objects to each other, with the audience as voyeur. There’s no kinetic transference, not even a sense of guilty pleasure – not only would you not want to be transported to the stage; you’re not invited.

When the piece wasn’t preoccupied with post-pubescent fantasies, it focused on the private lights of dancers directed differently. Misty Copeland and Alexandre Hammoudi appeared to dance a more ‘mature’ sexual relationship, but it was more complex than inventive, and more angst than passion. To this viewer, the outstanding performance in the piece was provided by Blaine Hoven, who portrayed the outsider, the dancer who is different, alone with his different fantasies. It was a driven, heartfelt and wrenching portrayal. But perhaps more significant, in the sense of future development, came from a performance by a dancer I had not previously seen. Cassandra Trenary, who apparently was just ‘promoted’ to the corps (she was an apprentice), managed to execute Mr. Volpi’s inventive but awkward-looking choreography superbly, maintaining her dignity despite being tossed around like a toy. A promising performance, and a dancer to watch.

But these were isolated triumphs. There was little else to acknowledge, much less admire. Was Mr. Volpi simply given free reign? Wasn’t there someone with enough artistic sense and control to talk him out of staging some incoherent puerile fantasy? Or, a more scary thought, perhaps “Private Light” was the product of some measure of oversight, and what was ultimately presented was less audacious than what Mr. Volpi originally had in mind. In any event, Mr. Volpi has inarguable talent – the choreography was not incompetent, and if his craft and sensitivity develops, he’ll survive this. But “Private Light” was an embarrassment.

Last edited by balletomaniac on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:37 pm 

Robert Gottlieb reviews the City Center season for the New York Observer.

NY Observer

Robert Greskovic reviews the City Center season for the Wall Street Journal.

Wall Street Journal

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:48 pm 

Judith Mackrell reviews the City Centre season for The Guardian.

Guardian

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:28 am 

Glad to see your comments about these performances, Jerry (balletomaniac). I'm looking forward to seeing some ABT "La Bayaderes" in DC next February. I'm mainly hoping to see two " Veronika! " performances, but am also looking forward to seeing Isabella Boylston, whom I've never seen before, as Gamzatti and Hee Seo as Nikiya among others.

Great to read that you liked Simone Messmer so much. I've only seen her once in an evening of different works, but I thought that she was excellent. I've been very interested in her since I read Gia Kourlas' high praise and interview in "Time Out New York" two years ago.

"Born in Minneapolis, Messmer—quick-witted and fast-talking in person, though she possesses an almost eerie emotional depth onstage—is one of ABT’s most prized members (Technique? Check. Acting? Check. Versatility? She is three dancers rolled into one—at least.)"

http://newyork.timeout.com/arts-culture ... ne-messmer

I'm very glad that you feel that Twyla Tharp's "In The Upper Room" is one of the masterworks of contemporary dance. I've seen it about ten times, performed by the Miami City Ballet, and hope to see it another 100. I really like it, because as high energy as it is, it doesn't push the athletic demands, on the women in particular, over the top and contains a compelling dreamlike quality. Also as you wrote, "And for pure exhilaration, it has no peer."

I will keep an eye on the other dancers that you noted and hope to see some wonderful performances.