public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: National Ballet of Canada - Spring 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 pm 

Angela Hickman interviews Bob Crowley, the set and costume designer for "Alice" in the National Post.

National Post

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 am 

Gary Smith reviews "Alice" in the Hamilton Spectator.

Hamilton Spectator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:16 pm 

Greta Hodgkinson is celebrating 20 years with NBoC. The June 15-19 series of mixed repertory performances is named Celebrating Greta in her honor. Richard Ouzounian interviews Greta Hodgkinson for the Toronto Star.

The Star

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:53 am 

Below is an interesting quote from above article about the passage of time.

Quote:
At the age of 37, she’s well aware of the clock ticking on the wall, but she seems calmer about the issue of aging than many of her peers.

“What’s 40? It’s just a number. It’s really about your body, about how you feel. I’ve been fortunate that I haven’t had any major injuries in my career. And I’ve had such a wide range of styles that I feel that will help me elongate my career. It’s all about being clever.”

But then she pauses and the half-smile vanishes from her face.

“Still sometimes, it doesn’t seem fair. You have all this experience and all this stamina and muscle memory from dancing all these years but the body … well, the body just can’t recover quite as fast as it used to.”

And...casting has been released for the mixed programme Celebrating Greta!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:50 pm 

Karen Kain went all in in concert with the Royal Ballet...and she is holding the nuts! Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is a Royal Flush full of Fun, Laughs, the Unbelievable, Surprise, and Heart! I did not hear one cell phone, candy wrapper, cough, whisper, or even the blink of an eye-All orbs were glued to the stage. If there was an Academy Awards for ballet, this version of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland would sweep all categories: Best Ballet, Choreographer (Christopher Wheeldon) , Music (Joby Talbot), Actress (Sonia Rodriguez), Supporting Actress (Tanya Howard), Actor (Piotr Stanczyk) , Supporting Actor (Kevin D. Bowles) , Art Direction (Bob Crowley), Lighting Design (Natasha Katz), and Screenplay (Nicholas Wright).

...I shall complete this review when my Muse inspires me more and after I attend my 2nd viewing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:52 am 

Last night was my second viewing of "Alice" - one more to go when I see Heather Ogden later in June. For several reasons I enjoyed last night's show even more then opening night. Perhaps it was because I knew how the story was going to unfold and that there were little bits here and there I missed before that I could watch for now (for instance I almost missed the Apollo pose the first time - it was gone before I realized what they were doing). Loved, loved, loved Tanya Howard's waaaaaay over the top Red Queen - honestly the things that girl can do with her face! As for Rex, after watching his cross-dressing Duchess, I'm betting he will be cast as the clog dancing mother in La Fille next season. But in the end it was Sonia Rodriguez as Alice that charmed me completely. Right now her acting and dancing skills are completely meshed - the technique looks so easy and uncomplicated and she was absolutely convincing as a young girl lost in a crazy wonderland.
Vanstone was terrific, Rodriguez brilliant.....now for Ogden. Ohhhh, can't wait!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 am 

Dear Noreen:

In the future, please don’t hold back your true feelings about your ballet experience. Feel free to gush unabashedly if you really liked a particular ballet! I do believe one and all, critics, non-critics, and wanna be critics, ALL loved Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland! :mrgreen:

Quote:
Vanstone was terrific, Rodriguez brilliant.....now for Ogden. Ohhhh, can't wait!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:21 pm 

The NBoC's website announces that all remaining performances of "Alice" are sold out! Terrific.

And....just announced, Jillian Vanstone has been promoted to Principal Dancer! There are a whole bunch more promotions that I'm sure someone will post the link to.

Interesting that only one Principal has been announced....I was expecting news about the men's side of the roster as well. I do long for Keiichi Hirano to be promoted....wishful thinking on my part probably.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 pm 

Thanks for the update Noreen. You beat me to it! I was longing for the lovely Tanya Howard to be promoted. Oh well, if she was moved up then who would dance their pointe shoes off in 2 or 3 roles for those big story ballets? She’s too good for her own good! Here is the LINK to the promotions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:59 pm 

Am happy with most of the promotions - especially that of Robert Stephen!

In addition - Brett Van Sickle is one I've watched for quite some time, not really understanding why he didn't get promoted previously...

I also agree that Tanya Howard is deserving - seemed forever before she was promoted the last time! What is KK waiting for??

I am assuming that there are some newcomers yet to be announced, coming from other places. Have nothing really to base this assumption on, so we shall see!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:17 pm 

The full press release with all the promotions:

Jillian Vanstone Promoted to Principal Dancer
Elena Lobsanova, McGee Maddox, Robert Stephen and Brett van Sickle Promoted to First Soloist

Naoya Ebe and Chelsy Meiss Promoted to Second Soloist

Winners of the David Tory Award and the Patron Award of Merit Announced

June 13, 2011… Karen Kain, Artistic Director of The National Ballet of Canada, today announced promotions for the 2011/12 season. Jillian Vanstone has been promoted from First Soloist to Principal Dancer.

Jillian Vanstone joined the company in 1999 after graduating from Canada’s National Ballet School. She recently made her debut in the title role in the hugely successful North American premiere of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Christopher Wheeldon. Critics hailed her performance as Alice: “First Soloist Jillian Vanstone has just the right measure of naturalness and spontaneity to capture Alice’s feisty character” wrote the Toronto Star; the National Post described Ms. Vanstone as “magical”; and the Globe and Mail stated “Vanstone is an absolute charmer”. Ms. Vanstone has also danced the title role in Giselle, Princess Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty, Olga in Onegin, Katherina and Bianca in The Taming of the Shrew, Valencienne in The Merry Widow and the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker.

Elena Lobsanova, McGee Maddox, Robert Stephen and Brett van Sickle have been promoted to First Soloist. This season, Ms. Lobsanova, winner of The Erik Bruhn Prize in 2009, made her debut as Polyhymnia in Apollo, in principal roles in Serenade and Theme and Variations and danced in the company premieres of Wayne McGregor’s Chroma and Alexei Ratmansky’s Russian Seasons. Other roles include Princess Florine in The Sleeping Beauty, Nina in The Seagull, the Snow Queen in The Nutcracker and Maria in West Side Story Suite. “Russian-born Second Soloist Elena Lobsanova was radiantly ravishing Sunday as Princess Florine; definitely another young ballerina to watch”, wrote the Toronto Star.

Mr. Maddox made his debut this season in the role of Jack / The Knave of Hearts in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Prince Charming in Cinderella and Basilio in Don Quixote and he also performed in the company premieres of Wayne McGregor’s Chroma and Alexei Ratmansky’s Russian Seasons. Last season, Mr. Maddox debuted in the title role in Onegin, of which Dance Magazine wrote “a stunningly impressive debut. Maddox perfectly captured the character’s conflicting aloofness and emotional vulnerability.”

This season, Mr. Stephen made his debut in the tap dancing role of the Magician / The Mad Hatter in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. The Hamilton Spectator described his debut as “charismatic”. Mr. Stephen’s roles include Uncle Nikolai in The Nutcracker and Garcia in Carmen. He also appeared in the company premieres of Wayne McGregor’s Chroma and Alexei Ratmansky’s Russian Seasons. In 2010, Mr. Stephen was awarded the Clifford E. Lee Choreography Award and will be creating a new work at The Banff Centre in the summer of 2011.

Mr. van Sickle debuted in the role of the Rajah / The Caterpillar in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. His roles include Benno in Swan Lake, Lensky in Onegin and Paris in Romeo and Juliet as well as lead roles in Opus 19/The Dreamer, Serenade, The Four Temperaments and Glass Pieces. Of his debut as Lensky, Classical 96.3 FM said “Brett van Sickle as Lensky showed the qualities of a prince”. He also performed featured roles in Polyphonia, Giselle, The Nutcracker and The Sleeping Beauty, as well as the company premieres of Wayne McGregor’s Chroma and Alexei Ratmansky’s Russian Seasons.

Naoya Ebe has been promoted to Second Soloist from the Corps de Ballet. Mr. Ebe represented the company at The Ninth International Competition for The Erik Bruhn Prize in March 2011. His roles include Bluebird in The Sleeping Beauty, A Fox and the Mouse Tsar in The Nutcracker and The Fool in Swan Lake, as well as roles in the company premieres of Wayne McGregor’s Chroma and Alexei Ratmansky’s Russian Seasons.

Chelsy Meiss has been promoted to Second Soloist from the Corps de Ballet. Ms. Meiss danced the role of Alice’s Sister Lorina in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Spring in The Four Seasons and A Bee in The Nutcracker and soloist roles in The Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, Glass Pieces and the company premiere of Alexei Ratmansky’s Russian Seasons.

Skylar Campbell, Shaila D’Onofrio and Jackson Dwyer, who were members of The National Ballet of Canada’s RBC Apprentice Programme and YOU dance, will join the company as members of the Corps de Ballet.

Senior Ballet Master Peter Ottmann is the winner of the 2011 David Tory Award, named for David Tory, former Vice-Chairman of The National Ballet of Canada’s Board of Directors, who passed away in 2006. Mr. Ottmann is recognized for exemplifying all the qualities the award acknowledges: mentorship, humility, optimism, compassion, leadership, honesty, integrity, enthusiasm and generosity of spirit. Mr. Ottmann receives an award of $2,500.

Corps de Ballet members Sarah Elena Wolff and Dylan Tedaldi have been awarded the Patron Award of Merit by the Patrons’ Council Committee of The National Ballet of Canada. The award is given to one male and one female Corps de Ballet member or Apprentice at the end of each season for their incredible progress. They each receive $1000 and an additional donation of $1000 is made in their names to the Dancer Fund of The National Ballet of Canada, Endowment Foundation.

The 2011/12 season marks an important milestone for Principal Dancer Aleksandar Antonijevic who celebrates his 20th anniversary with the company.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:23 pm 

I also was hoping Hirano would be promoted - can't figure out why he hasn't become a principal yet. My only thought is that perhaps it has to do with his height - I don't think he's very tall, and the company has a lot of tall principal women. Maybe in trying to balance the paycheck budget they are reluctant to promote someone who can't comfortably partner some of the taller dancers.

I've never been overly impressed by Howard, but that may have to do with my frequent struggles to identify dancers on the Four Seasons Centre Stage (bad vision, short torso and long drives to Toronto after long work days are not a good combination for vision & memory!).

I look forward to seeing the company when they're out in Edmonton this fall!
Kate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 am 

In the Globe and Mail, Paula Citron reviews the Wednesday, June 15 performance of the mixed bill of Balanchine's "Mozartiana," Robbins' "Other Dances" and Twyla Tharp's "In the Upper Room."

Globe and Mail

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:24 pm 

John Coulbourn reviews the Balanchine/Robbins/Tharp mixed bill in the Toronto Sun.

Toronto Sun

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:28 pm 

Lina Berezovska reviews the mixed bill in The Epoch Times.

Epoch Times

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next