CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: National Ballet of Canada – Winter 2010
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:45 am 

Though I'm well "Black Swanned-Out", I thought the interview with Rodriguez was very well done. She gives a thoughtful analysis while putting the movie in perspective as a thriller. A far cry from some of the "it's so fake", "it's horrible" articles with other dancers.

That said, I thought her comments about who was doing the dancing to be very interesting. A while back I posted a link to a reel from the special effects showing some of the things they'd done for the movie. One special effect shown was the pasting of Natalie Portman's face on Sarah Lane's body, making it quite clear that Lane had done almost all of the dancing (including the scene in front of the mirror).

Apparently that part of the clip has now "disappeared". People have opined that this might be a purposeful move in the weeks leading up to the Oscars because it rather undermines all the press Portman has been getting about all the months of prep she did to learn how to dance. I can believe it, but thing it's silly to try and deny the truth about the special effects. Clearly Portman did spend many months training, and you can see that in the movie. And believable dancer or not, IMHO, she still did one heck of a job as an actress.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:24 am 

I’m very surprised that reviewers haven’t brought up the Marni Nixon singing for Audrey Hepburn comparison. How can Natalie Portman win as best actress when her face was digitally superimposed over Sarah Lane? BTW: There is a strong resemblance between Portman and HEP. In any case, I am waiting for Black Swan to drop into the $15 DVD bin or less. From what I have read, it will do more harm than good for ballet. The theme is totally off the wall.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 am 

Quote:
How can Natalie Portman win as best actress when her face was digitally superimposed over Sarah Lane?

That's only for a handful of dancing sequences. It's akin to a stunt person doing stunts while the filmmakers try to make us think it's the actor. Not a big deal at all -- the vast majority of the movie is Natalie performing. I didn't love the movie, but it was a great performance, IMO.

I don't think it'll do any harm at all to ballet. If it helps interest people in ballet and go see a performance when they wouldn't have before, I think it's great. As the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:45 pm 

I agree with Keira99 - an OK movie, some impressive acting and some impressive dancing. Just not all by the same person, and the Oscar is for the acting, not the dancing. Portman was the one responsible for creating the character - Lane, was - good analogy - essentially a stuntperson.

Frankly, I think the movie has already boosted ballet. NYCB has sold out or nearly sold out its whole Swan Lake run, and that's after adding an extra performance. And we've gotten to see a lot of ballet faces in papers reviewing Black Swan, coverage that wouldn't ordinarily have happened.

BTW, check out the Erik Bruhn Competition thread for a note about a chance to submit questions for an interview with the Royal Danish Ballet competitors.

Kate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:20 pm 

Just a heads up, I called NBoC to check on casting for Don Q and it still has not been released. Usually, they have everything nailed down 2 weeks before.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:17 pm 

In regards to below, very good pointe:

Quote:
That's only for a handful of dancing sequences. It's akin to a stunt person doing stunts while the filmmakers try to make us think it's the actor. Not a big deal at all -- the vast majority of the movie is Natalie performing.

However, some actors have done their own stunts. Case in pointe: Steve McQueen in the Great Escape driving a motorcycle. He actually ends up chasing himself playing one of the Germans! I know he never did jump the high wire fence to end the chase but he wanted to. I still maintain Black Swan is just too weird. My feelings are this is the kind of movie that will not stand the test of time to be seen again and again like the Great Escape.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:06 am 

Steve McQueen is in a class all his own. But, I think fewer actors do their own stunts these days simply because the costs of insuring them would be astronomical. Also, I suspect (but have no firsthand experience) that becoming a competent motorcycle driver is a lot faster, easier thing than becoming a world class dancer.

As to Don Q - I'm not surprised, given how insanely busy March is for the company. The press staff are surely very busy at the moment with final preparations for the Erik Bruhn Prize Competition, and then they've got three productions in three weeks! I can only imagine trying to figure out casting for that many programs in such a short period of time - and for a fairly small company.

Kate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:36 pm 

Yes, Steve McQueen certainly was a class onto himself. If he was alive today, commanding top $ as an actor, he might just be one of the top Formula One drivers in the world as well.

Quote:
As to Don Q - I'm not surprised, given how insanely busy March is for the company. The press staff are surely very busy at the moment with final preparations for the Erik Bruhn Prize Competition, and then they've got three productions in three weeks! I can only imagine trying to figure out casting for that many programs in such a short period of time - and for a fairly small company.

In regards to the above, most likely true, but I don’t know how anyone can purchase a ticket to the ballet without knowing who the principals will be?

Click here to check out some beautiful photos of 3 NBoC ballerinas.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:34 pm 

Going back to our discussion about the G&M spread & slideshow, NYCB has one-upped them. And with fashions that are even more expensive (and IMHO less attractive). Jenifer Ringer is gorgeous, and I don't see why they felt compelled to cover her hair with layers of scarves:

http://www.elle.com/Fashion/Fashion-Spo ... Black-Swan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:23 pm 

I was going to number crunch their fashion tab but suffix it to say, it is beyond my budget and tops the NBoC date and hence why bother? At least, they had the good sense not to consummate their date at the end. Perhaps Ringer’s hair was in a bun because they were going for an art deco Flapper look?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 am 

Check out this very interesting article about White Swan Jillian Vanstone-An angel on pointe shoes!

Quote:
Recently Vanstone took two weeks off from her meticulous training schedule to travel to Kenya with Artbound, which is part of the non-profit group Save the Children. There she helped with the construction of a secondary school for girls and the development of an arts program that will enable the school to raise funds through performances.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:40 pm 

At long last, casting has been posted for Don Q! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 pm 

Looks like we have quite a treat to come in June:

http://balletnews.co.uk/2011/03/01/the- ... -premiere/

The question is... does NBoC have any male dancers that can tapdance and carry a lead role?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:50 pm 

Looks fantastic! So excited!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:02 pm 

More reviews... and considering how vicious London critics can be these are darn glowing!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 28531.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2011/ma ... and-review

My only concern is whether this is "too much" ballet - in terms of cast size - for NBoC. The Royal Ballet is considerably larger, and it sounds like this ballet has a large cast, plus the one non-ballet dancer role. Starting to think about roles... I can Antonijevic as one heck of a Mad Hatter, or maybe even Rex Harrington if he's willing to make another guest appearance. And Bridgett Zehr as Alice... Cote (though seem to remember him talking about June performances in Europe) or Konvalina or Hirano or one of the up and coming guys as Jack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next