public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:59 pm 

It’s time to close down the NBoC Winter 2008 Topic, as it is time to bring in NBoC Spring 2009. 90 posts later and close to 6,000 views, it was once again the most dominant seasonal topic on CD! The National Ballet of Canada was so popular; we inspired Kate to move from Scotland to Toronto!! With the addition of Keira, I predict this topic will be even more popular in the future.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:47 am 

Wait, don't close it down just yet -- I'm still seeing R&J tomorrow! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:50 am 

Just for you Keira, we will leave it open! I guess it’s really too (brrrr) cold to move into Spring just yet. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:27 am 

I did indeed see R&J yesterday. Had a lovely seat in the third row, and my enjoyment was only dimmed at times by the young children in the vicinity. Too many whispered questions to their mothers (and the mothers' responses) that should have waited for intermission. I don't feel children under 10 (and these girls were 5-7) should see any ballet but The Nutcracker unless they can sit quietly. Sure, the odd question here and there is fine, but when it's a constant distraction it can really take you out of the moment.

Luckily for me, when Nehemiah Kish is on stage, a marching band could walk up behind me and I doubt I'd notice. He was a completely swoon-worthy Romeo (sporting a new hair cut, even) and Xiao Nan Yu was a lovely and girlish Juliet. I thought they had great chemistry and really sold the glow and excitement of young love. I was entranced by their scenes.

This is the only R&J I've seen, and overall it was a lovely show. However, I did find the choreography somewhat lacking. There were a few acrobatic moments, but it was more the story that drew me in. The only other full-length classic ballet I've seen is Kudelka's Cinderella, which I thought was much more dynamic, dance-wise.

If I had to describe this R&J in a nutshell I'd say it was old-fashioned. But to reiterate, I did really enjoy it. I loved the pas de deux in the moonlight at the end of act one. Gorgeous.

Keiichi Hirano was on as Benvolio, so no worries on that front. Not sure why he missed the other shows, but he was in fine form. Richard Landry was Mercutio, and I must confess I found him a bit lacking. He's a fine dancer, but he's missing that dazzle for me. He just doesn't wow me for whatever reason. Etienne Lavigne was quite delightfully dastardly as Tybalt. But of course it was Nehemiah Kish and Xiao Nan Yu who really impressed me. I really hope we'll see Kish back next season even in this limited capacity. Although I notice he's conspicuously absent from next year's brochure...

Oh, and the show ended on a very cute note: At the very last curtain call when Nehemiah and came out alone in front of the curtain, Nehemiah tripped and made them both stumble. He said, "Woah!" as they dissolved into giggles and the audience laughed along with them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:25 am 

Quote:
“Luckily for me, when Nehemiah Kish is on stage, a marching band could walk up behind me and I doubt I'd notice. He was a completely swoon-worthy Romeo (sporting a new hair cut, even) and Xiao Nan Yu was a lovely and girlish Juliet. I thought they had great chemistry and really sold the glow and excitement of young love.”

The above prose from Keira hit a 10 out of 10 on the CD goo meter for moi! I’m glad you enjoyed R&J.

It’s too bad you didn’t catch Piotr Stanczyk as Mercutio. He was fantastic! Richard Landry just doesn’t have the stage presence for me.

I don’t believe we’ll see much of Nehemiah Kish. It seems a bit much to expect him to dance as a principal for 2 companies. Losing him was a big loss for the National.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:35 am 

Quote:
The above prose from Keira hit a 10 out of 10 on the CD goo meter for moi!

*bows*

Quote:
Richard Landry just doesn’t have the stage presence for me.

Yes, perhaps stage presence is the right term. I was watching him yesterday and trying to put my finger on why he doesn't wow me. The receding hairline does nothing for me, but I'm generally not *that* shallow. But he doesn't have that je ne sais quoi some of the other dancers do. I would have loved to see Piotr in that role.

Quote:
Losing him was a big loss for the National.

And I assume part of the reason KK wooed Jason Reilly back. As long as Nehemiah still performs here a few times a year, I'll be happy. I'll take what I can get!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:50 pm 

You could always jet off to Copenhagen to get your Nehemiah Kish fix! Though, that may become a little expensive after awhile. The problem with Kish is he’s almost too good looking, dances with women I can only dream about, and gets them in positions I can only dream about! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:52 pm 

I have to admit that I am not a NK fan. Would like to be, but he has disappointed the last few times I've seen him (e.g., Stars of the 21st Century, 2008).

On the other hand, am REALLY looking forward to JR. Saw him dance in Taming of the Shrew a couple of years ago. FAR beyond NK in my humble opinion.

Whew. Got a bit off my chest, didn't I??

ps having quite a time with log-in to CD lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:40 pm 

Mom2: What can Nehemiah Kish do to dance himself back in your good books? You can’t deny him his handsome features, commanding stage presence, and everything I’ve heard of him confirms he is almost too nice! Like any dancer starting out, he had his rough edges but I think you’re looking at a shining diamond who will enjoy a long career with Royal Danish Ballet. I admire his moxie trekking half way across the world to start a new ballet life.

As ballet connoisseurs are all too fully aware, male principals are an endangered species these days. Stealing him from the NBoC was a major coup for the Danes. I see a very bright future. Check out this positive review from Jane Simpson:

Quote:
“Nehemiah Kish was all charm as her prince, looking completely at ease (except in some of Rushton’s more angular choreography) and impressing me much more than he had when I saw him as Albrecht earlier in the season.”

I also found a lovely story about NK and his sweetheart Elena Lobsanova telling all how their relationship bloomed!

Quote:
“Three weeks before our first date, Nehemiah surprised me by showing up to my graduation ceremony. When I first caught a glimpse of him coming into the building, I was happily surprised. It was a four-hour ceremony, and he sat through the whole thing. Afterward he found me, and we shared our first kiss.”

Nehemiah Kish is the guy every mom wants her daughter to marry.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:02 am 

Quote:
Nehemiah Kish is the guy every mom wants her daughter to marry.

I know my mom would agree with this! :D I must say, I am positively smitten by him for all the reasons Michael listed. However, to each their own, of course! I do look forward to seeing Jason Reilly next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 am 

I might as well round this topic up to 100 posts! Come on Mom2 spill! What can Nehemiah Kish do to dance himself back into your good graces? The man sat through a 4-hour ceremony for a kiss! That has to count for something…. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:35 am 

I’ve been informed by a reliable source that NK & EL are apparently not an item anymore. I only brought it up because it was a very nice story and proof he is a nice guy. In any case, we’re not here to talk about relationships in detail and I’m sure nobody was embarrassed, as we are all adults.

Good luck to Nehemiah Kish as a Dane. We hope he returns from time to time to guest!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:35 pm 

That's a shame that they're not dating any more. If nothing else, I was hoping it would keep him close to home! Heh.

Last year at the free young dancers showcase event (some of the dancers from the corps did choreography, etc.) I got to sit in the VIP section due to having to move for the cameraman. I sat beside the very nice (and one would imagine, rich) woman who was sponsoring the event, and we discussed many topics including Nehemiah Kish going to Denmark. She waxed poetic on what a sweet and lovely man he is, so that was nice to hear. Not that I ever suspected otherwise!

Then Karen Kain arrived and sat beside us and gushed about how much I was enjoying ballet as a new fan. She was very sweet and was glad to hear that her plan to attract younger viewers was working at least in my case. It was a thrill to meet her.

Anyway. I suppose we're getting a bit off topic, although I can't imagine anyone minds. :)

Last edited by Keira99 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:50 pm 

Hi Keira, thanks for sharing the above!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:00 pm 

My pleasure!

I almost forgot: The sponsor/donor asked me how I'd heard about the performance, and I said I'd read the press release on the website. Karen heard this and commented dryly, "I'm glad someone's reading them!" Ha! Ah, the constant struggle to get press attention.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next