public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video: "Dancing for Mr. B: Six Balanchine Ballerinas"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 7:25 pm 

Wanted to recommend an EXCELLENT video which could be appreciated by those who havent' seen much Balanchine, and those who are Balanchine veterans, who would like a deeper understanding. In this video by Ann Bell, six ballerinas who exemplify "Balanchine" dancers are interviewed, shown in archival footage and in current (actually, the film was made in 1995) rehearsals. They cover several generations -Allegra Kent, Maria Tallchief (former wife), Melissa Hayden (Canadian and didnt' start dancing till she was 15!), Darci Kistler, MaryEllen Moylan and Merrill Ashley are covered. For some odd reason, the quintessential Balanchine ballerina -Suzanne Farrell, is omitted...hmmm! The video is distributed by Nonesuch/WarnerVision. Balanchine's aesthetic, artistic point of view, musicality and wide ranging ballets are reviewed. Some of the rehearsal and coaching sessions are just priceless and very revealing! HIghly recommend!<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited March 15, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Video: "Dancing for Mr. B: Six Balanchine Ballerinas"
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:03 pm 

Here is the cover:<P> Image <P><BR>And here's where you can buy it on amazon.com:<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/630343407X/qid=984722404/sr=1-8/ref=sc_v_9/107-7500867-8866102" TARGET=_blank>VHS - Balanchine Library, The: Dancing for Mr. B - Six Balanchine Ballerinas (1995)</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 10:23 pm 

Oh, I forgot to add that I agree with Trina's suggestion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 10:32 pm 

Trina -<P>Farrell is omitted because Belle did a very fine documentary, <I>Elusive Muse</I> exclusively about Farrell, a few years later. The historical footage in both of these films (including rehearsal footage of The Four Temparaments from 1947 with Tanaquil LeClercq in the Six Ballerinas film and Farrell dancing Don Q with Balanchine as the Don in Elusive Muse) are enough reason to watch them without even considering the value of the interviews.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 7:26 am 

Leigh,I DID see that film with Farrell. Very good! I also read ther book "Dancing on the Air" I think was the title.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 9:35 pm 

It's a good book, Trina. Farrell is very much a lady. The thing I appreciate most about the Six Ballerina video is how different each of them were, from Hayden to Kent - an entire range of personalities.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 11:15 am 

I noticed something interesting on this video, during the Allegra Kent interview. She is sitting with a huge stemmed iris flower in her lap during the course of the interview, gesticulating dramatically with flower in hand as she gets animated at various times. As I was initially watching it, I thought "how bizarre"! Then as I was telling my husband about it, it dawned on me: I remembered, that Allegra Kent's given name at birth was "Iris" Margo Cohen,changed obviously to Allegra for a stage name. I thought this was so interesting...coincidence? Stage prop! Knowing how dramatic Allegra Kent is, it wouldn't surprise me if she used it as a personal referenc to her give name!<P>Also, the other interviews were GREAT! Melissa Hayden was so unique, so independent, so brilliant. Merrill Ashley also; they all have such different personalities, as someone pointed out earlier!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 10:08 am 

Trina - <P>There's more footage of coaching well through the auspices of the George Balanchine Foundation's <I>Interpreter's Archive</I>. The footage is not available for sale, but is in about 40 major libraries in the USA and internationally for unrestricted viewing. Last year, Hayden did a coaching session at PNB of Agon, Episodes and Divertimento #15 that was taped for the archive, Francis wrote a long precis of it (which I think was posted on CD) and I wrote an analysis of it for Dance View (a print magazine)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 2:12 pm 

Thanks so much Leigh!!

Profile E-mail