public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SFB Program 3 - 'Tuning Game,' 'Without Words,' 'Ce
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 4:54 pm 

The casting for SFB's Program 3's first three evenings has been announced:<P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfballet.org/2001season/casting.php" TARGET=_blank>SFB Casting page</A></B><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited February 21, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SFB Program 3 - 'Tuning Game,' 'Without Words,' 'Ce
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 4:56 pm 

The program will consist of Helgi Tomasson's "Tuning Game," Nacho Duato's "Without Words," and Lila York's "Celts."<P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfballet.org/2001season/programs.php#program3" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 11:55 pm 

Belinda asked in another thread:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm looking forward to seeing program three this Wed. Word has it Joanna Berman will be dancing in "Celts." Is this her first appearance this season, or has she already returned from her injury? I can't wait to see her again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, Belinda, Tuesday night marked her return to the stage. But she danced in Nacho Duato's "Without Words" and not Lila York's "Celts" that was also on the program.<P>And, boy, did she look great! It's amazing that she did, especially in that body suit after not having danced in months.<P>More impressions, reviews and photos to follow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 11:43 am 

Image <P> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 7:24 am 

A mixed review, with stunning praise for Nacho Duato's "Without Words":<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>'Without Words' Jump-Starts Ballet<BR>Duato's intense work marks Berman's return</B><P>Allan Ulrich, SF Chronicle<P>Until this week, the 2001 San Francisco Ballet season has looked particularly feeble or inconsequential in its imported fare, even in fare choreographed by legends living and departed. The drought is over. Nacho Duato's "Without Words," given its local premiere during the company's third repertory program Tuesday evening, detonated a small but potent explosion on the stage of the War Memorial Opera House.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/02/22/DD95883.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:27 am 

I'm interested what people have to say about the Lila York work, 'Celts'. Scottish Ballet and BRB have each performed works by her and I have to say I was not impressed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 7:23 am 

I saw it for the first time, and I thought it was Riverdance with the sound turned off. It is one of those great closer ballets that the audience loves, and the dancers most probably feel 'egg on face, this is why we get paycheck'. They danced it really well, but I kept wondering when Michael Flatley was going to enter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:02 am 

Rachel Howard does not mince words:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>S.F. Ballet program three: Where's the beef?</B><P>Rachel Howard, SF Examiner<P> San Francisco Ballet's third repertory program is a ho-hum affair for a company of such world-class caliber.<P> The big news here -- "big" being relative -- is the company premiere of Nacho Duato's "Without Words." It's a nice enough dance, beautifully executed by an ideal opening cast that did justice by it once again on Wednesday night's program repeat. It might in the future stand strong on a meatier program, but bookended by Helgi Tomasson's oddly serious "Tuning Game" and Lila York's unambitious "Celts," the burdens placed upon it are too heavy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://63.78.169.150/style/default.jsp?story=X0223SFBTHREE" TARGET=_blank><B>More</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:22 am 

Blair Tindall offers a slightly different and refreshing view:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Ballet season loses its edge<BR>'Tuning Game' is high point of S.F. troupe's third program of the year</B><P>Blair Tindall, Contra Costa Times<P>A few weeks ago, the San Francisco Ballet opened its season with exciting, edgy works piled one upon another. But with the opening of its third program series this week, the momentum has slowed considerably.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/stories_feattop/x24ballet_20010224.htm" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:59 am 

Can anyone tell us something about the works that have made Lila York such a sought after choreographer in the US and beyond?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:37 pm 

Ooh, Stuart, hard to say...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:57 pm 

My own impressions of Program 3 is that it is a very mixed bill, with a bit of everything: a beautiful intricate dance, a crowd-pleasing entertainer, and a Helgi Tomasson choreography.<P>Yes, you read between the lines correctly. I liked only Nacho Duato's sublime work, "Without Words," with its smooth and seamless combination of otherwise awkward phrasings. His choreography, along with Jiri Kylian's which are also being showcased, by NDT, in the Bay Area this week, should inspire local choreographers. It was also very good to see Joanna Berman back.<P>Lila York's "Celts" is definitely a spirited affair but one that doesn't inspire much of anything other than Irish dancing. Nevertheless, Gonzalo Garcia and Guennadi Nediviguine were stellar.<P>"Tuning Game," as with most Helgi Tomasson choreography is only for diehards. I'm not sure I've seen less elegant backflips in ballet. I'd rather see his excellent "Silver Ladders" again instead of this work.

Profile E-mail