Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
YBCA Box office: 415.978.ARTS, 11 am-6 pm
To buy tickets online: www.linesballet.org
Tickets $20 - $50
Performances on April 13, 14, 15 at 8:00 pm; April 16 at 7:00 pm

Program Information

Following the Subtle Current Upstream
Music: Zakir Hussain, Miriam Makeba, Miguel Frasconi
This spring marks the Company Premiere of Alonzo King’s Following the Subtle Current Upstream, a work hailed by the New York Times as “spectacular in its visual and kinetic impact.” Tremendously popular since its creation in 2000, it has toured the world as part of the repertoire of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.

Without Wax pas de deux
Music: Bohuslav Martinu
Behind this title is a story about the origins of the word sincere: that it derives from the Latin sine (without) + cera (wax), because master sculptors and stone-crafters could work flawlessly, without the need to disguise any cracks in their pieces with wax. In 1992, this ballet became part of the repertoire of the Ballet Frankfurt.

Soothing the Enemy

Music: Leslie Stuck
This piece, which premiered in 2000, is the first collaboration between Alonzo King’s cutting-edge choreography and Leslie Stuck’s experimental electronic music. Playing with the elastic potential of percussion and a daring, deft sense of transformation, Leslie Stuck’s music gives the dancers a limitless space in which to move. “The great challenge of this first collaboration,” Leslie Stuck says, “was that Alonzo values authenticity, and that is so difficult to achieve with a computer. What finally worked for me was imagining a lone musician playing on a mountaintop, with the wind replying.”
[url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:32 am 

Welcome to criticaldance, Selby. I'm hoping that one of our reviewers will cover the opening program with the Makeba music. Can you say more about that?

Post subject: Lines Ballet Spring home season
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:42 am 

Thank you for welcoming me!

Just let me know if someone wants to review a Lines performance in the future... I would be happy to arrange tickets. The company will next be in St. Louis, then off to Europe--the Wolfsburg Arts Festival in Germany, the Les Gemeaux theater in Sceaux (near Paris), and then various dates in Italy (ending in Padova). In June, Lines will perform at Wolf Trap.

I have some background material on Miriam Makeba, if you're interested, and also some reviews that do mention her music (both from the Ailey touring and now from the Company Premiere).

I will post it if you like...