public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SFB Program I - 'Sea Pictures,' 'Black Cake,' and '
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:17 am 

Image <BR>Gonzalo Garcia, who captured hearts in 'Prism'<BR>Photo RJ Muna<P><BR>Well, Octavio Roca is delighted with Helgi Tomasson's "Prism," that received acclaim at NYCB last season:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Tomasson's 'Prism' Lights Up Ballet Stage<BR>Ambitious yet exquisitely simple</B><P>Octavio Roca, SF Chronicle<P>Near the end of "Prism," a beautiful new ballet by Helgi Tomasson, Gonzalo Garcia briefly left behind the bravura that had the crowd gasping with delight throughout his performance Tuesday night.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/02/01/DD148360.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SFB Program I - 'Sea Pictures,' 'Black Cake,' and '
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:26 am 

Blair Tindall liked it too:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Premiere's pas de deux stunning at S.F. Ballet</B><BR>'Prism' concluded with light reflecting from soloist Garcia's dazzling leaps, spins<P>Blair Tindall, Contra Costa Times<P>THREE WAS THE CHARM for the San Francisco Ballet on its understated, elegant season opener Tuesday night at the War Memorial Opera House. Comprising a trio of well-chosen works, the program ended with artistic director Helgi Tomasson's "Prism," an intricate ballet inspired by the light-refracting, three-sided crystal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.contracostatimes.com/timeout/stories_feattop/x1sfballet_20010201.htm" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:28 am 

The consensus is near unanimous about "Prism":<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>`Prism' sparkles in an otherwise mixed ballet set</B><P>ANITA AMIRREZVANI, San Jose Mercury News<P>Helgi Tomasson's new ballet, ``Prism,'' is big, burnished and beautiful. In addition to being deeply sensitive to its music, it is grand at conveying the majesty of classical ballet. The dance is the highlight of the San Francisco Ballet's first program of the season, which will repeat tonight through Feb. 10.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/sfbzallet1.htm" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 11:45 am 

My impressions? Well, okay, since so many of you have asked for them:<P>I loved Julia Adam in "Black Cake." Her comedic timing was excellent and she exuded the right amount of sexuality for the second pdd, with partner Yuri Possokhov a competent foil. Lorena Feijoo once again overacted in the drunken movement; she got into it so much that she flung her champagne glass onto the stage by accident. This was my first look at Tiekka Schofield, formerly a principal at Houston Ballet who was hired as a soloist this season. I thought she was technically competent but she didn't seem to have the elegance or the lines of Lucia Lacarra who performed in the gala performance of this Hans van Manen work.<P>"Prism" was simple but well-constructed. Kristin Long was excellent in the trois and Gonzalo Garcia was indeed spectacular as well as spirited in a very adorable sort of way (my writer companion, like many others in the audience, immediately developed a crush on him). I have some issues with this work though, like the simplicity of the corps dancing which didn't seem to contrast enough with the leads. I also thought parts of the pas de trois looked like a pdd plus one.<P>Tina LeBlanc, Yuri Possokhov, and Julie Diana were fabulous in Christopher Wheeldon's "Sea Pictures," a very subtle work that evokes emotions and feelings of nostalgia and loss. However, having seen Joanna Berman premiere it last season, I felt that LeBlanc's acting was too overwrought for the subtleness of the choreography.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited February 01, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 4:46 pm 

Ha ha! I was wondering if any of the local critics would mention Garcia's accident during the bows:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Roll over, Beethoven</B><P>Rachel Howard, SF Examiner<P>At the finish of Tuesday night's San Francisco Ballet program, dashing young Gonzalo Garcia bounded from the wings to deliver his bows before a stage crowded with corps members and principal dancers -- and slipped, taking an unexpected seat. "Bravo!" the audience shouted. That tripping conclusion was oddly but richly satisfying.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://63.78.169.150/style/default.jsp?story=X0201SFBONE" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail