public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elizabeth Loscavio
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 5:26 pm 

I'd like to know more about this dancer. I only saw her once at the Hamburg Ballet in their "Swan Lake: Illusions." Was she "up there" with dancers like Joanna Berman at SFB? Also, what were her reasons for leaving? <P>Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Elizabeth Loscavio
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 5:46 pm 

Here is what I found on Google - there is one site on the first page - that has pictures, when you get there click on the picture and it gets big enough to really see. Lovely pictures too.<P><A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Elizabeth+Loscavio%22&btnG=Google+Search" TARGET=_blank><B>ELIZABETH LOSCAVIO</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 8:11 pm 

Terry, I'll let DavidH have first dibs on this one.<P>I will say however she was one of my favorites at SFB and that the reason/s for her departure may never be completely known. She left with another dancer who has since returned to SFB.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited June 20, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 7:05 am 

Whoa! Lots to tell....... I've had the good fortune of knowing her family for 25 years...here are a few details. Ebeth is a pretty private person, but all that I list here is public so..............<P>Principal dance training at Contra Costa Ballet in Walnut Creek, Ca. with Laureen Fender, Don Eryck and Daniel Simmons.<P>Summers at PNB, Marin Ballet and the National Ballet of Canada. <P>Settled down at SFB school(1984-85 I think,) apprenticed in Helgi's first year (not for long though) into the corps and a fast rise to principal. Helgi and staff nurtured and pushed and challenged her a lot. One story of legend: Kennedy Center, dancer can't go on in Corsaire pas that evening, Elizabeth can you learn it this afternoon? Yes(she rarely said no,and it's why she's so successful, I think)major critics in the audience and the rest as they say is history. :-) Show bizzy or what? <P>Had a big and varied repertory at SFB. Cover story in Dance Magazine-don't remember the year. SFB really promoted her a lot in print( I guess you could have called her Helgi's protege) and left, really to explore new challenges professionally and personally. She's been very happy at Hamburg and loves living in Europe. <BR>Terry, does that help? <P>D<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 9:33 am 

DavidH, thanks for all that! I'm always sad that I missed Loscavio's years at SFB. I saw her dancing on tape recently when I watched the video of the Balanchine Celebration performances. She's featured in "Who Cares?" and her dancing is a treat. To plead full ignorance now, I didn't even know she was still dancing. DavidH, you say she is in Hamburg? Any details you can give--how long she's been there, etc.?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 9:54 am 

Thanks! <BR>Ebeth has been in Hamburg for a couple, maybe three years now(it's all a blur.) Here's the link for the Hamburg ballet site:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.hamburgballett.de/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hamburgballett.de/</A> <P>I would say that the variation she did in Who Cares at the Balanchine Celebration is a great representation of just what kind of dancer she is - very gutsy! haha(what you don't see is how many bows she took after it.) Of course she can just melt your heart in R & J and I love,love,love her in Swan Lake. But I'm prejudiced. From the age of 7 on her sister and I would drill her on what she had learned in class that day. We take full credit for her success. hahaha<P>Cheers,<BR>D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 10:28 am 

Thanks, DavidH. I knew you would come through. As I said elsewhere in this forum, I saw her last performance with SFB (at the Palace of Fine Arts, during the renovation of the Opera House) and practically cried knowing she was leaving.<P>Yes, I think she could be considered Helgi's protege; by all accounts, he was a favorite of his. She was versatile and seemed to do everything right, down to the subtle elements.<P>BTW, her dad is somewhat famous too in the business side of dance (DavidH, this is your cue to plug her dad).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 10:47 am 

Cue taken. Her father is a partner in an executive search firm based in San Francisco-Rusher,Loscavio,LoPresto. Mike fully understands the complications and challenges on running a not-for-profit organization. In fact he and a partner published a book pertaining to the board of directors role in the non-profit world. You can search it at Amazon.com He and his firm have generously dontated their time to a number of groups in the bay area(including the Diablo Ballet.) And it has been my pleasure to know someone who champions the arts so ferverently. <P>D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:24 pm 

In the May 2004 edition of Dance Magazine, page 22 - Names in the News:

"Hamburg Ballet principal dancer Elizabeth Loscavio retires this summer."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:56 am 

A couple of quotes (paraphrased) from one the Hamburg newspapers regarding Elizabeth's retirement last Sunday (June 27):

Quote:
Elizabeth Loscavio leaves Hamburg ballet, to which she belonged since 1998 as a first Soloist(principal.) The open and warm American formed herself in many roles. For seven years Loscavio danced in the company of John Neumeier, and celebrated large successes as "Giselle" and Natalia in "Illusions - like Swan Lake".

After 18 years of a wonderful dance career I would like to begin a new life with my fiance Carsten Jung (a newly appointed principal at Hamburg)and am very happy with my decision to retire now. I would like to coach and teach and pass on what I experienced.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:38 pm 

From David Wiegand's column in today's SF Chronicle:

Loscavio retires

Scroll to the end for a mention on Diablo Ballet too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:33 pm 

It's a girl!!
Angelina Marie was born on March 22, 2005

6.5 pounds and 18.5 inches in length

Congratulations to Elizabeth and Carsten! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:52 pm 

Congratulations to the parents! And to the proud grandparents, Mike and Leslie, who are huge and respected patrons of the ballet!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:52 pm 

If Elizabeth is reading this, congratulations from Gina (SFB... when you were arriving, I was leaving...)My granddaughter's middle name is Angelina! I'm so happy for you and your husband and the thrilled (I'm certain!) grandparents...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: It's another girl!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:53 pm 

It's another girl!!!!

:D

Allegro Grace Jung arrived at 3:05 AM on July 14th.
Mother Elizabeth, father Carsten and sister Angelina are all doing very well.

Congratulations to the Jung family!

Profile E-mail