public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Diablo Ballet, Berkeley, 11/5/99
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 9:10 am 

Michael, yes I was thrilled at making this discovery. I was wondering what I'd do with myself with SFB's season not starting until Feb 2000. I was overjoyed that there was a high quality company to fill the gap -- ably at that -- for the fall.<P>Of course, there are other good ballet companies too in the Bay Area but the classiness of Diablo (like using live music for example) is refreshing for such a small company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 6:21 pm 

Azalan<BR>I hope Chris does contact me. I would love to hear what is going on...I am a gossip freak.;-)<BR>As for teaching: I had to give up the studio for health problems...I have 3 chronic illnesses. As one simmers down, another flares up. I am tired of fighting this. It is really hard with the type of problems I have.<BR>So, if to ans. I would teach again if I could. I love to teach and was good.<BR>I helped develop some really nice dancers.<BR>But, I have had these diseases for so long, and have pushed through them for 15 years, and I am tired. The straw that broke me was a year of plantar fasciitis...I couldn't even walk. I went through three doctors, 4 sessions of PT. shots, etc etc. I had a walking cast on for 3 months...what a mess.<BR>So, between that, and the political situation here, I bagged the whole thing.<BR>I miss teaching. I don't miss the agony of dealing with parents and the everyday headaches of running a school.<BR>I have not yet been well enough to agree to guest teach for other schools. I have a number that would like me to. But, I never know how I will feel from one day to the next. Even one hour to the next.<BR>It is very depressing, and I really can't make a committment to teach, then not show up. If these things were ok, or if I was able to feel ready to fight again, I would go back to teaching. I would not open my own studio again tho. <BR>What I do now...I am making jewelry.<BR>I do pearl and beaded necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. I am a novice, self taught stone setter...but good enough for basic work.<BR>I have had a number of commissions for my work, and this past month have been at two selling shows. Have a few more to go.<BR>And a pearl necklace commission to make within the next week or two.<BR>The person just changed the design idea, and I am waiting on "parts".<BR>I am enjoying doing this.<BR>The first two or three months after giving up the school, I didn't do anything but sleep.<BR>That is my way of dealing with depression.<BR>Since I didn't "retire" of my own will, it was depressing. And my foot just made life miserable.<BR>I was still unsure if I would be able to make a trip to NYC...but made the plans anyway.<BR>The doctor said I would be able to use the boot if my foot got bad. So, I went to NY and did one of Finis Jhung's seminars..<BR>And tromped the Jewelry district making wholesale contacts for my supplies.<BR>It was fun, but exhausting. I do not have the stamina I had 4 years ago.<BR>One reason is medication. It makes me sleepy, and has taken my push push attitude down.<BR>I can not do what I used to do.<BR>Bummer.<P>I don't know the girl you mentioned.<BR>The one from Oakland ballet.<BR>The name doesn't even sound familiar to me.<P>Yet, just this year the company turn over was about 1/2 the company...I hardly know anyone any more.<P><P>------------------<BR>bek

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 7:38 pm 

bek, wow! I didn't realize the extent of your situation. But at least you found something to do.<P>Did you ever dance yourself?<P>...Azlan<P>P.S. - I know we're getting way off topic here but have yet figure out how to deal with this...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 1999 1:57 pm 

Sorry, it has been so long..<BR>Yes, I danced in BW back in 71.<BR>Quit in 74. So, I was under Mr. W. Christensen. I have been around to see Bruce Marks, John Hart and now Jonas Kage take over Ballet West.<BR>It seems like Kage is making the most problems but Marks was up there also.<BR>Esp. taking over directly after Mr. C retired.<P>I retired from dancing professionally in 1974.<BR>I have been teaching for almost that full time, and even before.<BR>So, the changes in my life are as dramatic as the changes the company is going through.<BR>And they are complex.<BR>(for both)<P>bek<P>------------------<BR>bek

Profile E-mail