public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:34 am 

I'm not going to get into this conversation here about the extremes of technique in today's ballet as we've hashed out that topic before. I'm just glad a journalist highlighted it for us.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:21 pm 

SFB has a new internet presence and forum--on Facebook. It currently features Erik Tomasson's expressive photos of SFB dancers and fan comments. Could it possibly become a place where dancers and their public talk to each other more openly? That's beginning to happen in other places (like Maria Kochetkova's blog) and even here (thanks to Dancer1984).

Check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/San-Franc ... 7923251292

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:22 pm 

Hedy Weiss previews the Chicago appearances of San Francisco Ballet in September 2008 in the Chicago Sun-Times:

Chicago Sun-Times

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:42 am 

SF Ballet's new blog, Open Studio 455, can be found here:
http://www.sfballetblog.org

In the most recent post, Lily Rogers writes about getting ready for SF Ballet’s American Tour, already underway in Chicago. There are also images from Pascal Molat’s recent visit to Kazakhstan and Frances Chung’s humanitarian trip to New Orleans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:03 am 

RaHir wrote:
SF Ballet's new blog, Open Studio 455, can be found here:
http://www.sfballetblog.org

In the most recent post, Lily Rogers writes about getting ready for SF Ballet’s American Tour, already underway in Chicago. There are also images from Pascal Molat’s recent visit to Kazakhstan and Frances Chung’s humanitarian trip to New Orleans.

Thanks for this news, RaHir. I had stopped looking for the SFB blog, it's been so long in coming, but it's off to a promising start, with three favorite dancers writing about their life inside and outside the studio, plus photos. I hope other members of the company join them. It makes these amazing artists more human.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:16 pm 

Hedy Weiss reviews the performance on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 in the Chicago Sun-Times:

Chicago Sun-Times

This program included works by Helgi Tomasson's "On a Theme of Paganini," Mark Morris' "Joyride" and Yuri Possokhov's "Fusion."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:51 am 

"Principal Dancer Tina LeBlanc to Retire

San Francisco Ballet has announced that Tina LeBlanc, a principal dancer with the Company for 17 year, will retire following the 2009 Repertory Season. Since joining the SF Ballet in 1992, LeBlanc has performed lead roles in many works including Tomasson’s Giselle, Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet, and The Sleeping Beauty, as well as Tomasson/Possokhov’s Don Quixote. In addition, she has created roles in works by acclaimed choreographers, including Julia Adam, David Bintley, Mark Morris, and Christopher Wheeldon. LeBlanc’s diverse repertory includes ballets by Sir Frederick Ashton, George Balanchine, Val Caniparoli, Agnes de Mille, William Forsythe, Lar Lubovitch, and Antony Tudor.

LeBlanc’s final performance will be on the evening of Saturday, May 9. Further details, including programming and ticket purchase information, will be announced at a later date."

Also, an article in this Sunday's Chronicle:

Tina LeBlanc to leave S.F. Ballet
Rachel Howard
San Francisco Chronicle
Sunday, January 11, 2009

Quote:
Tina LeBlanc is getting teary, but not because of her impending farewell to the ballet stage.

"I was totally crushed," LeBlanc says in a quiet room at the San Francisco Ballet Building, remembering the day she auditioned for the summer training program at American Ballet Theatre in New York. She had made it into the school the summer before; even though she was just 15, she knew her dancing was strong.

"One of the judges saw my confusion when my number wasn't called. She called me over and said, 'You're just too short. You haven't grown.' "

LeBlanc, 5 feet 1 - "I have been measured lately at 5 foot 1 1/2!" - raises a hand to a watery eye and laughs. "It was all I could do to walk out of that audition without bursting into tears. It was a blow. Not that I regret anything that has happened in my career."

It is hard to imagine what in LeBlanc's 27 years of professional dancing - 17 with San Francisco Ballet - she could have to regret. At 42, faint traces of gray framing her no-nonsense face, she has entered the growing pantheon of mold-breaking Ballet ballerinas who prove that skill, artistry and passion trump body-type strictures. With her pliant feet and diminutive-but-strong-as-nails legs, she is a supreme technician, lending sparkling clarity to ballets by George Balanchine and Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson. But her gala goodbye performance May 9 will surely also show what has made her a total dancer, valuing nuance, precision and musicality over gymnastics and flash, whether weeping as "Swan Lake's" Odette or hoofing it up as the cowgirl in Agnes DeMille's "Rodeo."

More...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 am 

Not a surprise, but she will be missed. she's an inspiration to small dancers everywhere.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:39 pm 

LMCtech wrote:
Not a surprise, but she will be missed. she's an inspiration to small dancers everywhere.

Not just small but anyone who does not fit the mold of "ideal" body type, just like her sister Sherri and (at the other end of the spectrum) Muriel Maffre.

Interesting how after all these years she still teared up recalling her disappointment and humiliation over being rejected because she was too short. Their loss is SFB's gain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:45 pm 

crandc wrote:
Interesting how after all these years she still teared up recalling her disappointment and humiliation over being rejected because she was too short. Their loss is SFB's gain.

This is exactly the sort of thing we're discussing in the Color and Racial Issues in Dance and the Theatre thread in "Dance Issues".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:11 pm 

The ironic thing is that these days ABT (and NYCB) would probably have been eager for a short, talented woman since there are so many very short male dancers out there (Corella, Cornejo, Lopez, Ulbricht, DeLuz etc).

Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:19 pm 

The ABT programs are still notorious for being unfriendly to short dancers. It's in their teaching culture now. But that is another discussion.

I wonder what she will do now?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:12 pm 

I don't think this interview has been posted:

Fensom brings 'magical' look to 'Swan Lake'
Rachel Howard
San Francisco Chronicle
Sunday, January 11, 2009

Quote:
After San Francisco Ballet's forward-looking 75th anniversary in 2008, with its 10 commissioned world premieres, Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson is returning to a classic. He raised the caliber of San Francisco Ballet's dancing, and its national esteem, when he choreographed his first "Swan Lake" for the company 21 years ago. Now, for his new production premiering Feb. 21, Tomasson has teamed with Tony-nominated Broadway designer Jonathan Fensom ("Pygmalion," "Journey's End"), making his first foray into ballet.

We talked with Fensom about the new "Swan Lake" as he was in New York, putting finishing touches on the Manhattan Theatre Club's "The American Plan."

Q: This is a fairly traditional, not a postmodern or revisionist, "Swan Lake," and yet you're doing some forward-looking things with it. What was the driving intention behind this production?

A: Right away when I was asked to do this, I wanted to make the narrative clearer. In ballet and in opera, a lot is expected of the audience, as if they have to do their homework before seeing the show. With San Francisco Ballet's new slogan about "a new way of seeing ballet," I thought, let's try to design with a very strong narrative in mind and make the story clear for people who have never seen this ballet.

For one thing, we've made it Odette's story, more than Prince Siegfried's story. And there's a prologue that lays out the backstory. The audience will be aware that something strange has happened.

More...

Last edited by RaHir on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:13 pm 

LMCtech, maybe Tina will teach in the school? She expressed interest back in November.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:18 pm 

That would be lovely, wouldn't it? One can only hope they will be smart enough to offer her a decent position.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next