public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Raymonda
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 4:38 am 

It was, years ago, Elisabeth Platel in Paris's Raymonda (see Crisp's review) that showed me suddenly how to make sense of the story of this ballet. Its story is Oklahoma! A girl has a good man but is importuned by a bad one and then has a strange dream in which she is assailed by both, clearing airing her conflicting feelings. When they fight, luckily the good guy wins, but not before the girl finds out how much more complicated the choices about love are than she innocently thought. I remember how Platel twitched imperceptibly with the violence of her feelings in between those marvellous dances; stood still with a kind of frozen desperation in the fight, half reaching for Abderam as well as de Brienne, and almost collapsed with relief when de Brienne won. It was marvellous. So all those who think Raymonda is silly should ask themselves whether Oklahoma is any less silly. There are so many similarities that you'd think Petipa had been plagiarised.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:05 am 

What?! Petipa plagiarized? Never! (laughing here)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:30 am 

Welcome, Laurey, and thanks for your insight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 8:04 pm 

Laurey, I thought about your comparison a bit more and then I realized, "Hey, I thought 'Oklahoma' was silly too!" Image<P>Kidding aside, I do remember vividly asking everyone why "Oklahoma" was such a success, as I couldn't understand why.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 11:23 pm 

Well I think 'Oklahoma' is great and will skate over the human rights issues regarding Curly. I much prefer the old musicals to the new crop.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 6:16 am 

I have to agree with Stuart - I loved "Oklahoma" - especially with Agnes De Mille's choreography. She was also a fine dancer. By the way - have you folks read any of her several auto-biographies? She writes very well - interesting and witty............<P>I am also much more of a fan of the old musicals - and listen to them quite regularly. So many of the songs - and dances are good enough to stand on their own.

Profile E-mail