public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raymonda
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 12:16 pm 

Hey I know, my third message today... Image<P>So I've been to the Opera de Paris last week end to see Raymonda, with Carole Arbo and Jean-Guillaume Bart as principal dancers.(Noureev version). And OH MY GOD it was so great! it's a wonderful ballet, and the dancers are so good!<BR>Well, Carole Arbo is now 39 years old, so she will soon quit the opera... But Jean guillaume Bart is a "brand new" young etoile, he's a choregrapher too, and he is really one of the best dancers I've ever seen. (I think Noureev will always be the best!)<P>so, this is a real seductive ballet, with a mix of "classical" dance, and with a lot of exotic dances, in a Russian-oriental style... amazing.<P>last thing, the music is wonderful too... <P>

Post subject: Re: Raymonda
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 1:52 pm 

Paquita - you are right Raymonda is a wonderful ballet. I have danced the classical variation from that ballet and loved it. But, I have never seen the Nureyev version of it. Did he completely re-choreograph it - or did he use the original choreography and just reset it?<P>I agree with you, Paquita - Rudolph Nureyev was my favorite male dancer too - and I was lucky enough to see him several times at the height of his career.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 4:28 pm 
I also saw Nureyev many times in the 1980s in London. He did rechoreograph parts of Raymonda. I saw this production danced by Marie Claude Pietragalla and J.G. Bart several years ago in Paris, and loved it.<P>Paquita, you are lucky to be able to see the splendid stars of Paris Opera Ballet so often.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 10:26 pm 

Both ENB and the RB perfrom 'Raymonda' Act III regularly, but no UK company has a full length version. I have heard people here say that the the story is ramshackle even by ballet standards and the complete work is overlong. Is this an unfair judgement?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 11:16 pm 

SFB also performed Act III of Nureyev's "Raymonda," for the first time this April. It was staged by Patricia Ruanne of POB.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 2:45 am 

no stuart, you are not being unfair. it is a particularly weak story but in all honesty it doesn't bother me in the least, with all that marvelous music and great dancing! if i can find some research material i have from a while ago i'll try to find a synopsis that doesn't go on too long and post it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 3:06 am 

I have the synopsis, I'll post it if you want.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 4:48 am 

I'll try to put the synopsis on my site maybe next week if I have the time. I've got it "on paper"... <BR>I wish to add the summaries of other ballets too, there are only in french right now, but that's far too hard to translate, so I can't do it by myself.<P>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 5:16 am 
Paquita, je comprends le francais.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 5:18 am 

hey Kevin! <BR>Enfin quelqu'un qui parle français Image<BR>tu es de quelle nationalité?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 10:47 am 

Quoi? Pardon. Je ne comprends pas. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 2:55 pm 

Moi aussi.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 5:09 pm 
Paquita, Grace a repondu ta question pour moi. Oui, j'aime beaucoup le Ballet de l'Opera de Paris. Je t'ai envoye un e-mail hier. Oui, il y a quelques Parisiens qui ecrivent en francais sur le website <A HREF="http://www.ballet.co.uk." TARGET=_blank>www.ballet.co.uk.</A> <P>Azlan, Stuart and Grace, your French is pretty good too.<p>[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited October 15, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 10:41 pm 

Vous etes drole, Grace. Or should I have used a "tu," there?<P>BTW, qui parle anglais? Image<P>Boy, we sure have veered off topic ici.<P>Back to Raymonda, Act III that is, does anyone know who else has it in their repertory? Paquita, do you if Ruanne is the only one setting it on other companies?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 1:22 am 

Clement Crisp in rapture over Nureyev's 'Raymonda' in Paris:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The production offers challenges at every level. These are met by the dancers with an irresistible bravura. They know that some of what they do is transcendental stuff, and they pull it off as if to tell us that this is what they have trained to do, and that they find it a pleasure to show us.....With Elisabeth Platel we can rejoice in dancing which enchants by its purity and commands by its authority. At this stage in her career, a great dancer knows so much about her art that the simplest step, the least of danced sequences, acquires a sense of mystery.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><A HREF="http://search.ft.com/Search/MultiSearch/globalarchive.jsp?docId=001019001760&query=Clement+Crisp&resultsShown=20&resultsToRequest=100" TARGET=_blank><B>now read on</B></A> <BR>

Profile E-mail