public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Joanna Berman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 11:58 am 

Of course I got reprimanded the other day for pointing that out to someone, but I completely agree.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:57 pm 

Yes Salzberg - we would hope to have dancers posting their views and comments and if people value those, they cannot "diss" dancers and expect them to ever participate in the debate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 3:05 pm 

A quick scan brought up these comments about Joanna from the critics of major newspapers from both sides of the Atlantic. I'm sure I could find a lot more if I had the time:<P>Debra Craine, The Times, 'Sea Pictures', Wheeldon, Aug. 2001:<P>'Joanna Berman offered a strong performance as the woman who loses her man to a storm-tossed sea.'<P>******************<P>David Dougill, The Sunday Times, Oct. 1999:<P>'Joanna Berman and Possokhov both dazzled in Tomasson's shapely duet, 'Chaconne'.' <P>******************<P>Octavio Roca, SF Chronicle, 'A Garden', Morris, Feb. 2001: <P>'The mood at the end was one of ecstasy as the large cast fell away to reveal the glowing Berman and Smith...' <P>******************<P>I've now had the chance to read the comments of Ms Tomolonis who is clearly entitled to her negative view. Although I do wonder how many times she has seen Joanna dance in the past two or three years. <P>However, as you can see above I have found no evidence for the second part of her contention that, '...some regular SFBers admire her very much, critics less so.' <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 6:10 pm 

Here are a couple of excerpts from a <A HREF="http://www.voiceofdance.com" TARGET=_blank>Voice of Dance</A> chat with Joanna Berman in December of 2000:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>lynnedr: How much longer will we be able to enjoy your dancing?<P>Joanna Berman: It's hard to say but at least a couple more years.<P>...<P>misadances: Ms. Berman, do you plan on exploring any other aspect of dance careers when your own performance career is over (way into the future we all hope!) such as teaching full time or dance therapy, choreography etc?<P>Joanna Berman: I am interested in teaching and being a ballet mistress. I have done a bit of both already and enjoy it very much.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.voiceofdance.com/Insights/vchat.global.trans.cfm?ChatSchedule_ID=9500000000000024" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:25 pm 

To confirm LMCtech's post, Mark Morris' tribute to Joanna, a solo called "Later," will be performed each night of Program 5, which opens April 2, 2002.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2001 7:24 am 

I am very much looking forward to this. Two of my favorite dance artist converge in one little dance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:41 pm 

Well <I>Later</I> wasn't quite what we expected but thankfully we will hear more of Joanna Berman later, that is later, after the end of the season. CriticalDance has learned that she will assume the position of Rehearsal Assistant with the company when she retires from dancing at the end of the season. This position will suit her well as she is a wonderful coach.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:39 am 

A really lovely interview with Joanna in the Chronicle. The closer we get to the end, the sadder I get.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>PROFILE <BR>Joanna Berman <BR>Last dance <BR>Beloved ballerina ends an 18-year career at S.F. Ballet in 'Giselle'<P>Jane Ganahl, Chronicle Staff Writer <P>Since her friend Evelyn Cisneros retired in 1999 -- also to start a family - - Berman has been arguably the most beloved ballerina in San Francisco. Drawn to her acute sense of drama, her articulation of movement and her transparent joy in dancing, balletomanes find out which performances Berman is dancing before they buy tickets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/04/30/DD90316.DTL&type=performance" TARGET=_blank><B>more...</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:06 am 

Love the picture with braces!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:27 am 
She has 2 things thats SOOOO rare:<BR>A GREAT face that never seemed to change;and a GREAT artist that EVERYBODY loves!<BR>

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 8:10 pm 

Okay, I confess. I am feeling very weird about tomorrow night, when Joanna Berman will step onto the Opera House stage for the last time as a dancer. I am so used to seeing her on stage that I don't know how I'm goint to react. Maybe I won't feel anything tomorrow night and throughout the summer but then suffer major withdrawal symptoms at the beginning of next season... What an awful feeling that will be.<P>Are there any seats left? When I called earlier this week to check, they only had a few.<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited May 10, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 8:59 pm 

When you ask whether there are any seats left, I hope that doesn't mean you've waited until now to get a ticket! Yeah, it feels really sad. I feel consoled that I have some other dancers left to look foward to next season, but Joanna Berman is a one in a million dancer. I feel very fortunate that I have a video clip of her (all too short) from when SFB did a couple of excerpts of Romeo and Juliet at Justin Herman Plaza with Evelyn Cisneros(!) narrating. I checked with everyone beforehand whether it was OK to tape, and they said "Sure." Lucky me!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:04 pm 

Heavens, no, djb. Image I got our tickets ages ago (from an early tip...). However I did have to go through a bit of gymnastics to acquire an Orchestra ticket for our assigned correspondent, Toba Singer, as MEHunt will be writing for the Times again (lucky her!).<P>How many curtains do you think Joanna will get?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 9:06 pm 

There are very few dancers that have it all; natural talent and strong technique, a love for dance that shows so clearly when she is performing, and the kind of spirit that encourages others to do well. She has pride in the company she dances for, and she is loved by the company members. She will be missed in so many ways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 9:37 am 

Egads... only several hours away...

Profile E-mail